Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2010 Forte SX to the dealer for a couple of items under warranty. A while after checking-in the service counter guy comes over and says something like " you know you're just overdue for the scheduled auto transmission and cooling system maintenance services". I didn't remember seeing them in the manual and said so and he just nodded his head, I said ok since I didn't want to put my warranty at risk. When I got back home I looked at the owner's manual and there was no mention of either being due so I called Kia customer service and asked them. They told me that they do require those services at this point or recommend having them done. They also said that their dealers can offer additional services above those required for my warranty but they don't endorse them. I gort my money back from the dealer but they really pissed me off by not saying they recommend services even though Kia doesn't but rather disguises their up-sale as warranty related requirements.

I then went to a different dealer for some other warranty work and saw on their price board a price list for Kia 10, 20, 30 and 60K mile maintenance service. None of it agreed with the requirements in the owner's manual. The 30K mi service was listed at about $325 and the $60k at over $500. What a bunch of crooks. Let the buyer beware for sure.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, different dealers tend to jack up prices/do whatever to get your money. They do this by paying their service staff on a commission basis. So they make money based on the amount of servicing they do.

If you can, look for a dealership with unionized employees...this won't guarantee a non-commission service staff but you can at least bet that their wages are comfortable enough that they don't have to upsell you on everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.