Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2020 Kia Forte EX and it is approaching 35,000 miles. This is the first brand new car I have ever owned that I paid cash for, so it's a milestone for me. I have had it for about 2 years now and I take very good care of it. I do oil changes every 4,000 miles using Redline 5W20. I only get gas at Mobil. And because it has a CVT I only shift out of Drive and Reverse at a complete stop (not rolling, not even 2 mph). I also live in Southeast Florida where it is very humid, so I change the engine air filter with every oil change, and cabin air filter every 8,000 miles.

I get my oil changes at the dealership just to stay in warranty. I purchased the car when it had 1,800 miles on it from a private seller, so I am the second owner, which means my warranty is only 60,000 miles.

Having said all that, the dealership is recommending their 30k miles "service package".

So I had the AC evaporator service done earlier this year, because there was water leaking from the AC under the glove box on the passenger side. It had something to do with a clogged cabin air filter apparently.

I've read their fuel system treatment is basically pouring an injector cleaner or something along those lines, down the gas tank. I can probably buy the product and do that myself? Also, if you use a premium gas like Mobil, do you really need to do this? I use Redline oil which is great at reducing carbon deposits by the exhaust valves.

What is a fuel induction service?

Fuel Induction Services involve inspection of fuel injectors and fuel induction components for carbon build up and cleaning with fuel Induction cleaner and lubrication.

Again, do I really need this?

And most important, the tranny flush. The dealership recommends this at 30,000 miles, HOWEVER, the severe maintenance chart recommends this at 60,000 miles. It's safe to say, I don't need to do this.

I drive 15,000 to 20,000 miles on average per year. So I follow the severe maintenance protocol.

There are no issues with the car as far as I know. It makes a few "click" noises when I shut the engine off but according to another post in this group that is normal.

Since I live in a hot, all-year round climate, should I upgrade my coolant fluid? I was going to google something like "best coolant for asian/KIA cars" and have the dealership do a coolant flush. Is it too soon at 33,000 miles?

Also, my tires have become very worn. I rotate my own tires and I am probably on my last rotation. I have never been able to afford premium tires on a car until now and this is what I am planning on buying at tirerack.com. What do you think? I spent lots of time on this website and I feel these are best for Southeast Florida.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=2020&autoModel=Forte Sedan&autoModClar=EX
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Pattern

Newspaper Publication Font News Newsprint

Thank you for your input everybody. This forum has been a blessing for maintaining my Forte.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello! I have a 2020 Kia Forte EX and it is approaching 35,000 miles. This is the first brand new car I have ever owned that I paid cash for, so it's a milestone for me. I have had it for about 2 years now and I take very good care of it. I do oil changes every 4,000 miles using Redline 5W20. I only get gas at Mobil. And because it has a CVT I only shift out of Drive and Reverse at a complete stop (not rolling, not even 2 mph). I also live in Southeast Florida where it is very humid, so I change the engine air filter with every oil change, and cabin air filter every 8,000 miles.

I get my oil changes at the dealership just to stay in warranty. I purchased the car when it had 1,800 miles on it from a private seller, so I am the second owner, which means my warranty is only 60,000 miles.

Having said all that, the dealership is recommending their 30k miles "service package".

So I had the AC evaporator service done earlier this year, because there was water leaking from the AC under the glove box on the passenger side. It had something to do with a clogged cabin air filter apparently.

I've read their fuel system treatment is basically pouring an injector cleaner or something along those lines, down the gas tank. I can probably buy the product and do that myself? Also, if you use a premium gas like Mobil, do you really need to do this? I use Redline oil which is great at reducing carbon deposits by the exhaust valves.

Fuel Induction Services involve inspection of fuel injectors and fuel induction components for carbon build up and cleaning with fuel Induction cleaner and lubrication.

And most important, the tranny flush. The dealership recommends this at 30,000 miles, HOWEVER, the severe maintenance chart recommends this at 60,000 miles. It's safe to say, I don't need to do this.

I drive 15,000 to 20,000 miles on average per year. So I follow the severe maintenance protocol.

There are no issues with the car as far as I know. It makes a few "click" noises when I shut the engine off but according to another post in this group that is normal.

Since I live in a hot, all-year round climate, should I upgrade my coolant fluid? I was going to google something like "best coolant for asian/KIA cars" and have the dealership do a coolant flush. Is it too soon at 33,000 miles?

Also, my tires have become very worn. I rotate my own tires and I am probably on my last rotation. I have never been able to afford premium tires on a car until now and this is what I am planning on buying at tirerack.com. What do you think? I spent lots of time on this website and I feel these are best for Southeast Florida.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P7+AS+Plus+3&partnum=245HR7P7ASP3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Forte Sedan&autoModClar=EX
View attachment 89148
View attachment 89147

Thank you for your input everybody. This forum has been a blessing for maintaining my Forte.

I found this to help explain the fuel induction service.

·
Registered
2022 gt2
537 Posts
I found this to help explain the fuel induction service.
Ok I can’t tell you what to do but... I run my commuters to almost 200k within 5 years and never... NEVER .. do the flushes, brake, injector back flush blah blah blah... if it’s going to break it will break.... flush or not. I have less car problems than anyone I know and I don’t do anything other than general maintenance. I think all the odd additional services is just false sense of security..

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,208 Posts
Ok I can’t tell you what to do but... I run my commuters to almost 200k within 5 years and never... NEVER .. do the flushes, brake, injector back flush blah blah blah... if it’s going to break it will break.... flush or not. I have less car problems than anyone I know and I don’t do anything other than general maintenance. I think all the odd additional services is just false sense of security..
Yeah I’ve never run injector cleaner or oil additives through anything I own, both new and old, some with well over 200k on them.
I flush the brake fluid but that’s because I don’t trust old fluid to not boil when I’m driving my stuff hard. It’s cheap insurance and I’d rather not risk failed brakes when ripping it on back roads over saving like $40 every few years

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
912 Posts
It's all a long con by the stealership to upsell you stuff you don't need or can do yourself on the cheap if you just use this forum and common sense. I won't let a dealership touch my car after the free oil changes. Dudes ALWAYS try to sell you some other type "service" when you go in for the oil change. Do what you feel best about, it's YOUR money. And dealerships will always be happy to lighten your wallet quickly.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
415 Posts
You can't go wrong following the factory service intervals. The engineers have had many years to determine what should and should not be done.

That said, I always follow the Severe Maintenance schedule. It's surprising how much city driving I do, which is hard on a vehicle.

My dealership's fuel injector service consists of adding a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, which you can get at WalMart for under $10. It's the black bottle. Works well.

About flushes, my mechanics say to never flush a transmission as the cleaner is a harsh chemical that can damage seals. Follow Kia's recommendation to change, not flush, the transmission fluid.

Some dealerships are more aggressive at upselling than others. If you have the choice, find a more reasonable dealership and spend your money there.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,208 Posts
You can't go wrong following the factory service intervals. The engineers have had many years to determine what should and should not be done.

That said, I always follow the Severe Maintenance schedule. It's surprising how much city driving I do, which is hard on a vehicle.

My dealership's fuel injector service consists of adding a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, which you can get at WalMart for under $10. It's the black bottle. Works well.

About flushes, my mechanics say to never flush a transmission as the cleaner is a harsh chemical that can damage seals. Follow Kia's recommendation to change, not flush, the transmission fluid.

Some dealerships are more aggressive at upselling than others. If you have the choice, find a more reasonable dealership and spend your money there.
Flushing the transmission is never a good idea if it uses a machine. The only way to flush a transmission properly without causing harm is removing the cooler lines and letting the internal pump pump out the old fluid while sucking in new fluid out of a container

·
Registered
22 Forte GT2 DCT
29 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that with a GDI engine the type of fuel used and/or injector cleaner that you run through the tank will not have the same effect of cleaning the valves as a normal fuel injected engine. When dealerships and shops talk about fuel induction cleaning they are referring to running a cleaner through the throttle body to clean the deposits that build up on the back side of the intake valves. Since the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber on a GDI it never passes by the valves. Fuel Induction service is a necessity for GDI engines whether or not you let the dealership do it is your choice.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,208 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that with a GDI engine the type of fuel used and/or injector cleaner that you run through the tank will not have the same effect of cleaning the valves as a normal fuel injected engine. When dealerships and shops talk about fuel induction cleaning they are referring to running a cleaner through the throttle body to clean the deposits that build up on the back side of the intake valves. Since the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber on a GDI it never passes by the valves. Fuel Induction service is a necessity for GDI engines whether or not you let the dealership do it is your choice.
This is why catch cans are important for GDI engines. Even with them in place, it’s likely still worth it to Seafoam it (or a similar product) through the intake to get the carbon off the valves

·
Registered
40 Posts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P7+AS+Plus+3&partnum=245HR7P7ASP3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Forte Sedan&autoModClar=EX
View attachment 89148
View attachment 89147

All great questions! Firstly, with the fuel system service I wouldn’t recommend. You have Port Injection engine not GDI, so carbon build up on the intake valves shouldn’t be a concern. You can use a bottle of Techron like how someone stated above, I can’t imagine you are hurting anything by using it every so often, maybe once a year? Other than that I wouldn’t worry about your fuel system, put good gas in it, and it should do the rest!

Regarding the transmission flush, I would never recommend it. I would just do fluid and filter changes every 30k-60k miles, but earlier the better. I’m not familiar if you can service the transmission filter in the IVT. Every manufacturer is different so others that have done the fluid change please hop in!

I don’t think it’s necessarily “too early” to do a coolant flush, but if you feel the need it doesn’t hurt anything. There isn’t really a “better” coolant, but there are different types. I wouldn’t get caught up in which brand is better, if you want the “best” or safest I would go with KIA OEM Coolant. The more important part is using the correct coolant Chemical composition. Read your owners manual and make sure they are using the correct type. Color doesn’t necessarily mean the same type either, it is rather confusing lol! What you can do, again read your owners manual to make sure, is you can change the antifreeze to water concentration. Since you live in a hot climate you can do a mix of 60% water to 40% antifreeze, but do not go any lower than 40% of antifreeze. I don’t think you need to do that, but that option is on the table.

Tires are personal preference, read reviews and /or videos and see what others say, as long as they are not the cheapest and a good name brand I don’t think you can go wrong. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,208 Posts
All great questions! Firstly, with the fuel system service I wouldn’t recommend. You have Port Injection engine not GDI, so carbon build up on the intake valves shouldn’t be a concern. You can use a bottle of Techron like how someone stated above, I can’t imagine you are hurting anything by using it every so often, maybe once a year? Other than that I wouldn’t worry about your fuel system, put good gas in it, and it should do the rest!

Regarding the transmission flush, I would never recommend it. I would just do fluid and filter changes every 30k-60k miles, but earlier the better. I’m not familiar if you can service the transmission filter in the IVT. Every manufacturer is different so others that have done the fluid change please hop in!

I don’t think it’s necessarily “too early” to do a coolant flush, but if you feel the need it doesn’t hurt anything. There isn’t really a “better” coolant, but there are different types. I wouldn’t get caught up in which brand is better, if you want the “best” or safest I would go with KIA OEM Coolant. The more important part is using the correct coolant Chemical composition. Read your owners manual and make sure they are using the correct type. Color doesn’t necessarily mean the same type either, it is rather confusing lol! What you can do, again read your owners manual to make sure, is you can change the antifreeze to water concentration. Since you live in a hot climate you can do a mix of 60% water to 40% antifreeze, but do not go any lower than 40% of antifreeze. I don’t think you need to do that, but that option is on the table.

Tires are personal preference, read reviews and /or videos and see what others say, as long as they are not the cheapest and a good name brand I don’t think you can go wrong. Hope this helps!
Yep, for the MPI engines, run good gas and run it hard every once in a while to blow out the carbon. Changing the oil regularly and using quality oil is more important than any sort of fuel system cleaner. Also, you can do your own oil changes and save some money and still be within warranty - just keep the receipts, and get the filter from the dealer (it’s like 7 bucks at the parts department).
You don’t need to change the engine air filter every time you do the oil - I drive my car pretty hard, frequently (30k a year) and in occasionally dusty conditions and it was still in ok shape at 30k miles when I changed it the first time. I’d do every 25-30k.
No serviceable transmission filter, if it even has one at all on the IVT. Just change the fluid every 60k like it says and call it good.
I think the manual says the original coolant is good for something like 6 years, then change it every 3 years. You should be good for a while. Use either the genuine Kia stuff or Peak Asian vehicles red stuff.
The tires you linked are apparently pretty good. I run Sumitomo HTR A/S PO3s on mine, and while they do reduce mileage slightly, the grip is great and they seem like they are going to last forever - there’s no noticeable wear in the 15k miles I’ve put on them so far. They are also pretty cheap.

Reactions: AP1929

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have your car in gt-line.

I did my ac coolant at 20k
I also did my brake lines at 20k
If I could go back in time I would have done my transmission fluid at 30k you are at now. I did my first trans flush at 50k. ( I am at 60k as of 3ish days ago). I'm doing my next one at 80k.
I have been using redline fuel additive since 16k miles. I was doing a half bottle every 1500 miles per fill up but since 55k I swapped to adding a quarter of a bottle to 10 gallons of gas.

When did you notice carbon build up on your muffler? I believer mine started around 40kish miles.

When my tires needed replacement at 49k miles ( i rotated with every oil change) I went with michelin cross climate 2's. Reduced my fuel economy by like 4mpg on average but they make our car handle like it has AWD and I have personally tested that. I'm talking 80mph driving in monsoon level heavy rain I can't see 5 feet out my windshield, this is totally irresponsible level driving and the car drove like it was a sunny day out. The amount of water these tires will move is staggering. I'm talking, I have not even gotten to a point in 10k miles on them where the car even slightly slows down when I plow through a lake level pond on the highway. I did a 270 mile road trip a month ago and both ways on them I got 42-43mpg. On the stock tires I would get 46mpg.

[edit] Personally I feel Pirelli's are better suited for track cars. If your looking for comfort you should go with a high end Conti or Michelin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts