Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 300 mile trip, with 4 people, without using the front defroster and going at 80 mph with the cruise control on, I was getting about 28-29 mpg on my 6sp SX. However, coming back home on the same road, with the defroster on all the time ( because of moisture on the front,side,and back windows), I only got about 26 mpg.

As someone in this forum mentioned, Forte seems to get fogged up so easily compared to other cars I've driven.

The difference between the two trips are:
- going up, the weather was sunny
- coming back home, it was slightly rainy, and I had extra 100 lb weight in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Atmospheric conditions were different. More moisture in your air intake also causes lost fuel economy. If rain on roads then more rolling restriction too. I haven't found mine to fog up more than any of my previous vehicles. Seems about the same.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
When you have AC, running the defroster also runs the condenser to remove humidity. So yeah, expect less MPG.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but mine barely fogs up. I think the secret is just keeping the Windows clean. I usually use some rainx (just the yellow cleaner bottle, cleaner + treatment, then finish off with invisible glass) My windows barely fog up. Its much better than my friend's civics, pontiacs, subarus etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the noodile's glass cleaning formula...

Mine really gets fogged up quickly even though the insides get wiped clean with Windex. I tend to keep the heater low and during cold days, when the moisture starts to form, it tends to freeze right away (front at the top and the rear two windows). If I keep the heater at fan setting 2 and maximum heat, then I don't get the fogging up problem, but I feel pretty uncomfortable with hot/dry air around me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What helps me up here in Canada with all the cold weather and snow that collects on the floor mats and melts into water. The water freezes over night and then when you get into the car and start pouring heat over the wet icey floor mats it turns into water. Water when heat is applied to it gives off a high moisture content that collects on the windows causing fogging up. What I do is every week I take my floor matts into the house and dry them up completly and then put them back into the car. Try this and you will be amazed at the difference this makes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You are kidding right? Defrost has zero impact, rain and added weight would. Also is the road perfectly flat or is there an elevation change from point A to point B?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I stand corrected, but modern compressors are far more efficient than their forbearers and sap little from the mill so I bet a combination of things ganged up on the mpgs...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't quote but, I read somewhere a long time ago that for every 100 lbs of cargo you can expect to loose at least 1 mpg...

For all of those who like to carry that extra junk in the trunk....

Had a buddy with a little volkswagon diesel rocking almost 80 mpg... however the car had left only one seat no power anything (steering windows, locks) no a/c ... it wasn't much to look at but it didn't matter to him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think its having an impact and if it was it definitely wouldn't be a 2 mpg impact. My EX Sedan (5 speed auto) is getting 35.4 mpg on an 850 mile trip and its loaded down with the defroster running constantly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts