Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried swapping out the engine in the Forte with a diesel. I LOVED the excellent fuel economy (40-42 MPG) I got on my old Jetta TDI but not anything else about the car since everything around the engine broke early on. Also, diesels are much more durable than gas engines and an attached turbo gives you some umph and makes it feel like a passenger car (instead of a big rig).

Doesn't Kia sell diesel car overseas? When my engine needs an overhaul 7 or 8 years from now, I'd love to be able to drop a diesel in there instead of spending money to rebuild such an inefficient engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From what ive read these motors are 300,000+ km's/180k+ miles motors. They shouldnt need a rebuild in the next 10 years. The expenses to transform this into a diesel would be very extensive.... Maybe look at buying another VW?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried swapping out the engine in the Forte with a diesel. I LOVED the excellent fuel economy (40-42 MPG) I got on my old Jetta TDI but not anything else about the car since everything around the engine broke early on. Also, diesels are much more durable than gas engines and an attached turbo gives you some umph and makes it feel like a passenger car (instead of a big rig).

Doesn't Kia sell diesel car overseas? When my engine needs an overhaul 7 or 8 years from now, I'd love to be able to drop a diesel in there instead of spending money to rebuild such an inefficient engine.
If you thought the engine was that inefficient, why buy the kia in the first place? I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but it seems to me, that you are still in love with your VW and the TDI. You should have just traded for another TDI Jetta, the 2011s look far better than any year Jetta. Plus for the money you are planning to spend into a diesel engine swap into your forte, you could have saved that extra bit and got another TDI anyways. I'm happy with the 31mpg, but hey its your money, and your decision :) Ask the dealer maybe he can help you out on a diesel engine, but you'll probably need new mounts, new trans, the works basically.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, actually I hated my TDI. Everything BUT the engine kept breaking. AND they are wayyyy overpriced and repairs are VERY costly for VWs. What I would REALLY like to see is Kia selling diesel Fortes in the US.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Diesel engines are typically a $3-5000 pop over the cost of their gas buddies... plus the PCM, harnesses, transmission... for a couple miles per gallon?

100,000 miles driven at 32 mpg = 3,120 gallons of fuel
100,000 miles driven at 40 mpg = 2,500 gallons of fuel.

What's a gallon of gas worth? $4? (seriously, I don't know, I'm in Canada...) So over the 100,000 miles after the thousands in replacements... you'll spend $2,500 more in fuel. Meh.

Europe can keep diesels, IMO... the pros just don't justify the cons for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the diesel idea but not an engine swap. You stated 7 or 8 years so how many miles per year do you drive? I drive about 20K per year and this engine should last beyond 140 to 160K miles. At that point what would be the value of the Kia and it is doubtful that anyone would put that much into an older car. If a person wants a diesel then I would bet they would get a car with a diesel before keeping any car for 7 or 8 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts