Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is just starting to get really cold in bethlehem pa and soon to snow. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the koup in the snow and could tell me changes they found while driving or problems.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a Forte (sedan), but I guess they're similar.

I'm surprised at how well it does in the snow. Considering it's a rather light FWD car, it does pretty good.

The traction/stability control is kinda sensitive, but you can always disable it. :)

BTW, I'm running General Altimax' 205/55-16.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Well i have winter tires, and they're extremely grippy, so i am loving the koup in the snow.

If you have a manual tranny, the tranny sticks from 1st to 2nd when its cold, but thats pretty much it.

Turn off TCS at lights and stop signs, and on-ramps.

My car is quiet quiet on the highway and driving in snow, (except for my ridiculously loud snow tires, i mean they are as loud as my friends mudding tires). The only time when my koup is loud in the snow is when

1. Backing up in the snow (sounds kinda as if you have light brake pressure on a mercedes or an audi, it feels as if there's something on the brakes)

2. Turning extremely slow in a parking spot, same sound as above, as if there is light brake pressure

3. slamming on brakes and ABS kicking in (sounds as if you lost your tires and your car is grinding on the chassis).

but they're all normal sounds, i am impressed on how my Koup acts in the snow (off course with the help of my blizzak tires which are amazingly grippy and loud). Only recommendation is no TCS at lights.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is just starting to get really cold in bethlehem pa and soon to snow. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the koup in the snow and could tell me changes they found while driving or problems.
nice another bethlehem koup! ugh, it is starting to get really cold around here, it sucks!!!! i am waiting for the first snow fall to see if I have to get snow tires or not, i don't live far from work and the main roads are traveled alot so they should be in good shape. so in other words i dont want to shove out the extra $$$ unless i 100% need it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks noodile for the tip on the TCS. Good to know how well the koup does in the snow, Havoc_32 good to hear that another koup is in town. Hopefully the upcoming storms for PA won't rust up my car too much.

·
Registered
130 Posts
thanks noodile for the tip on the TCS. Good to know how well the koup does in the snow, Havoc_32 good to hear that another koup is in town. Hopefully the upcoming storms for PA won't rust up my car too much.

Indeed, I have seen one black sx close around where i live/work and another blue ex by route 145 and the mall, but that is about it, other than several sedans. and i don't think it's the storms you have to worry about, it's the inch of salt they put on the road! i'll keep an eye out for your koup, seems pretty recognizable, mine's just titanium with rebadge front/back and wheel inserts gone, so if you see it that'd be me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We had a light dusting at the start of the week and I live in a very hilly neighborhood. Needless to say my Koup with the stock Hankook tires did not do very well. I couldn't get it up my driveway even with TCS off. I basically had to go back to the top of my street and get a running start, but not too fast that I wouldn't be able to make the turn into the drive. This ought to be a fun winter! I imagine I'll be getting snow tires in the near future!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
havoc_32: same here, I have only seen many fortes but not much koups, very true about the salts. I don't get it, PA is like the one place where they put tons of salt. Who knows we might cross paths one day.

MtnGoat: I am still debating on tires. Good luck with the winter over there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts