Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Research Automotive Lighting

At Diode Dynamics, we want our fellow Kia Forte enthusiasts to be educated on automotive lighting products, so that they know they are purchasing the best products on the market. We have devoted this portion of our website to doing just that. Here you'll find information on different automotive lighting technologies, how they work and common misconceptions you'll see while shopping for your Kia Forte. We hope you enjoy learning all about automotive lighting!

Any questions? Email us at [email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Are LED headlight conversions a legitimate HID competitor now? Was looking at an H11 kit that's claiming 3600 lumens. Seen some as high as 5000 lumens. Has the advice of using LEDs just for cosmetic fogs become outdated now?

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@nouse4aname

While LEDs have come a long way in the past few years, they are still "optically challenged" and won't provide lumen output where it's needed most.

Additionally, most of these companies aren't providing actual measurements for their lumen output claims, and will actually be significantly lower than they claim. Here's a thread with more information on LED headlights: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81340

Feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions: (314) 205-3033

Thank you!
Nick C.

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IIHS released a study on headlight performance. Only includes mid-size sedans. But of 82 tests only the LED headlights in the Prius got a good rating. The Optima even with the bendy hid setup earned a poor rating. I wonder how the Forte halogen and hid setup would fare in this test.
http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr5103.pdf
Toyota is doing an exceptional job with the entry-level LED lighting game right now. The new Corolla's LED headlights perform extremely well!

Nick C.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Is there a replacement LED bulb for the W10W bulb?
2015 Sorento map lights are W10W -- dome, vanity, and rear compartment are FESTOON like the Forte's dome, map, and trunk lights.
Any reason they're called "FESTOON" instead of a numbering system?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a replacement LED bulb for the W10W bulb?
2015 Sorento map lights are W10W -- dome, vanity, and rear compartment are FESTOON like the Forte's dome, map, and trunk lights.
Any reason they're called "FESTOON" instead of a numbering system?

Thanks!
Festoon is a particular style of bulb, W10W is very common and also known as 194/168/t10 etc etc...

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It's odd that Kia lists the bulbs as "W10W" and "FESTOON" in the owners manual -- and when I go to parts websites to look up THOSE specific bulbs, using the Kia listings, I get "no listings found"?!?!

I looked at the "W10W" bulbs -- they are definitely larger then 194 bulbs -- although they are the same shape/design and get inserted the same way.

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's odd that Kia lists the bulbs as "W10W" and "FESTOON" in the owners manual -- and when I go to parts websites to look up THOSE specific bulbs, using the Kia listings, I get "no listings found"?!?!

I looked at the "W10W" bulbs -- they are definitely larger then 194 bulbs -- although they are the same shape/design and get inserted the same way.
921 and 194 use the same base size, but 921's are more common for reverse light applications

Nick C.

·
Vendor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NEW! HD Halos and Strips!

Diode Dynamics is excited to announce our new HD LED Halos and Semi-Flex Strips are now available! Offered in switchback and single colors (red, amber, blue and white), they are perfect for custom applications! The Strips are available in 3, 6, 9 and 12 inches and the Halos are offered in universal sizes from 50-160 millimeters.

Both products were designed from the ground up and manufactured in our facility here in St. Louis, Missouri. They are backed by our hassle-free 3-year limited warranty.

Click here to shop

1 - 20 of 42 Posts