Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first long road trip with the KOUP, and to be honest, i was a little disappointed with the MPG. the trip was 300 miles, all highway. average speed was 65-70 MPH, cruise controlled. barely hit the gas the whole way. Kept it in 6th the whole way. my mpg was only 30MPG average Computer, and manually checked.

I expected to touch 32MPG, but maybe i was too optimistic.

Koup SX 6 speed

·
Registered
769 Posts
hmmm, i got 34 between cities here in TX, 65mph is the speed you wanna be at so im told but hell im still glad! It sure beats my 15mpg in my truck!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Winter driving mpg seems to suffer. I used to get about 31-32 mpg at 80 mph on cruise control driving on relatively flat highway without hills... Now, I get a bit less than 30 mpg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ya true to that winter driving sucks on gas mileage. i used to get around 27.5 in town and now im down to 20 but of course the high here hasnt been over 4 degrees for the last 4 days with a windchill of negative 35. I hate South Dakota .

·
Registered
59 Posts
gotta be tires and winter driving. I drove from KCMO to Galveston, TX (about 1600 mi roundtrip) during september and got 35 mpg by manual calculation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm looking at lower mileage from winter driving as well. Another thing that makes a big difference is what you're hauling. Four people with clothes and whatever for a few days drops your mileage down a noticable amount; especially if you're chuggin along at over 65 mph.

Best consistent mileage I ever got was on a highway in Deleware with a big truck a couple of cars ahead and going about 58 mph. I ended up getting around 38 mpg avg for the hour or so I was behind the truck. Have not managed to replicate... it's so hard to drive below 60 on a highway haha.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Also the terrain can have an effect as well. When I drive in hills or mountains I barely hit 30 mpg. When I'm driving in the flats, I'm hitting upwards of 32-33.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Even with winter fuel, it should be better than that. This summer when I checked a trip with just about all hiway, I got 37.5 calculated manually. The average mileage from the car's computer also says between 37 and 39. That was coming back from the ocean in Delaware. Delaware is pretty flat so that helped I'm sure. I've got an SX with 5 spd auto.

Pittsburgh is probably hilly. Never been there though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went on my first long road trip with the KOUP, and to be honest, i was a little disappointed with the MPG. the trip was 300 miles, all highway. average speed was 65-70 MPH, cruise controlled. barely hit the gas the whole way. Kept it in 6th the whole way. my mpg was only 30MPG average Computer, and manually checked.

I expected to touch 32MPG, but maybe i was too optimistic.

Koup SX 6 speed
I noticed the fortes dont get great gas mileage, i average 24-25 city fairly slow driving and every now an then a quick acceleration. However I usually get between 32 and 35 highway if i'm reallly careful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmm I have a 2010 SX and I only average 21.7? What is this!?!?!?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The numbers I gave in post #9 above were for strictly hiway. In my daily mix of driving I get between 26 and 28 mpg.

BenjaminG, I see that you've got a CAI. You're probably putting your foot into it too much to get good numbers. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
The numbers I gave in post #9 above were for strictly hiway. In my daily mix of driving I get between 26 and 28 mpg.

BenjaminG, I see that you've got a CAI. You're probably putting your foot into it too much to get good numbers. :D
I can have a heavy foot sometimes, but for the most part I drive fairly adequate ill see what happens!

·
Registered
522 Posts
What am i doing wrong i can not even get 25 mpg out of mine and i drive all high way every day to work and that is all !!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Even when on highway, check the instant mpg indicator to see if you are unnecessarily applying gas. Slowly release the accelerator and check the speed and the instant mpg indicator. Find the spot that gives you the same speed, but better mpg.

For me, I noticed that I am applying gas that cause the instant mpg indicator to go below 25 mpg, without seeing any increase in speed. By releasing the gas pedal a little, I can see a big jump in mpg indicator, while the speed remains the same.

Another killer of mpg is the 5 miles of driving through city traffic, after coming off the highway ramp. The way I accelerate hard, the average mpg falls rapidly as I reach home.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Funny you said that, because i took mine out to test the MPG and noticed the same thing! When im doing 46-60 i get under 25 mpg. My buddy said that it could be cause the engines newer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you have less than 3 or 400 miles on the car, then maybe it's still a little tight. But If you have a few thousand miles or more, it should be loosened up enough to get decent mileage.

One thing you guys might check is your tire pressure. Tires some times lose pressure over time. Also the temperatures are dropping as winter approaches. Colder air means less pressure in the tire. I always run mine at 35 or 36 psi even though the placard says 32.

I run without the eco light thingy turned on, but I drive fairly conseratively anyway. You might want to try driving with that on so you'll know when you're driving economically.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you have less than 3 or 400 miles on the car, then maybe it's still a little tight. But If you have a few thousand miles or more, it should be loosened up enough to get decent mileage.

One thing you guys might check is your tire pressure. Tires some times lose pressure over time. Also the temperatures are dropping as winter approaches. Colder air means less pressure in the tire. I always run mine at 35 or 36 psi even though the placard says 32.

I run without the eco light thingy turned on, but I drive fairly conseratively anyway. You might want to try driving with that on so you'll know when you're driving economically.
I do use the ECO light and for the most part it says I'm running "economically". I recently installed a Cold Air Intake, I bought the car about a week ago. I'm not driving it like a moron, i stay in full auto unless someone tries to get it ;) I will go check the tire pressure because it has just recently got colder here. Thanks :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you bought the car a week ago, you might only have a few hundred miles on it, unless you bought it used. How many miles on the car?

Give it a few more weeks to loosen up, then start checking mileage. And always check the mileage manually. Fill the tank and reset a trip odometer to zero. Drive 300 miles or so. Fill up again and read your mileage from the trip odometer. Divide the miles driven by the gallons used.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you bought the car a week ago, you might only have a few hundred miles on it, unless you bought it used. How many miles on the car?

Give it a few more weeks to loosen up, then start checking mileage. And always check the mileage manually. Fill the tank and reset a trip odometer to zero. Drive 300 miles or so. Fill up again and read your mileage from the trip odometer. Divide the miles driven by the gallons used.
I got 425 miles on it, still fairly new. I'm going to go put some gas in it tonight, I will make sure to do what you said wbw. Thanks :cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts