Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got a 1.6 SX Forte (Auto)
My car doesn't come with 'Cruise Control' and I intend to install it myself (if possible).

I've found the following parts online:
- Cruise Control switch
- Cruise Control steering wheel housing
- Cruise Control steering wheel wire

The question is:
Will I be needing any other mechanical parts to render the cruise control operational? or will it just need computer programming (similar to VW cars) and it's then functional?

Regards
Karim

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Yes... you need the cruise control servo that actually controls the speed of the car... kiatechinfo does not have any information on the cruise control for some reason.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't know... like I said before, kia-tech-info is dry on this topic,no information (part locations, wiring diagrams, etc.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Kimo1976, I'm in the same boat as you. No cruise control, but I'd love to retrofit it. Have you found out anything new about it? And where did you find the "switch, steering wheel housing/wiring"? Was it at the dealer or online?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey Kimo1976, I'm in the same boat as you. No cruise control, but I'd love to retrofit it. Have you found out anything new about it? And where did you find the "switch, steering wheel housing/wiring"? Was it at the dealer or online?
I miss not having Cruise also, I was quoted over $1000 to get an after market one supplied and fitted. Hope I can get one cheap off e-bay and get an auto electrician to fit it

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
GUYS I WAS [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]

I was doing more research on this specific topic of interest (since I have the US Forte LX version with not power anything) and it's starting too look promising... I was able to find more info on the cruise control on kiatechinfo.com (WHICH BY THE WAY IS SOMEWHAT CONFUSING TO FIND AND DOESN'T WORK ON FIREFOX)

1st, the Throttle Body is "drive by wire" (electronic) so it is directly controlled by the PCM/ECM in the engine bay in response to the voltage in the gas pedal. So no servo is required (it is obviously NOT mechanical)

The wiring diagrams show the only thing connected to the PCM/ECM to activate it is just the cruise control switch on the steering wheel and a engine control relay (which is already there since the clutch switch uses the same one).

and Finally, we know that KIA makes the same base wiring harness (that's why you have a fuse for the "Power Sun Roof" even though you don't have a Sun Roof). In "theory" and previous experience on other cars doing the same electronic add-ons that I wish I had (illuminated entry, Auto Climate Controll, etc) , all the wiring should be there, and should essentially be a "plug and play"

Problems that I have not solved:

Does it need some type of program to make it work? Maybe this is so easy that KIA decided to put a software lock on the PCM so the cruise control function(that costs extra) isn't easily activated. But then again KIA may not be that smart, or not think we are that smart :D.. Anyone wanna try it out?

'10 KIA Forte STEERING WHEEL: eBay Motors (item 250634706435 end time May-24-10 11:21:36 PDT)

I am waiting to find a wreck near by where I live and do a complete power option conversion (it's easy! :rolleyes:) and eventually do the front end conversion of the Koup (Koup fenders and front bumper). It's all usually plug and play. so there ya go!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great news Anthony :)
Thank you for looking further into this! :)
As I mentioned before, VW cars only require one to reprogram the PCM which takes a few minutes, and gladly performed by their service centers.
I haven't tried Kia service center though (only 200 miles on the clock)..I can give them a call and see what they'll say.

@ LuckyC,
As for the parts; below are the links I have found:
But beware, prices vary considerably from one vendor to the other.

KiaParts.com :: Original parts for your Kia

"Kia Parts" & "Kia Accessories" at Discount Prices! - GENIUNE KIA PARTS

HyundaiAndKiaParts.com - Hyundai Auto Parts and Accessories, Kia Auto Parts and Accessories

https://www.globalkiaparts.com/oem-kia-parts.html

https://www.oemkiaparts.com/oempartscat.html?Year=&make=&catalogid=1

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
This is great news Anthony :)
Thank you for looking further into this! :)
As I mentioned before, VW cars only require one to reprogram the PCM which takes a few minutes, and gladly performed by their service centers.
I haven't tried Kia service center though (only 200 miles on the clock)..I can give them a call and see what they'll say.

I hope it's that easy because I would love to get the cruise on my car... I doubt it but I am optimistic.. worse comes to worse, I'll just swap the PCM from what ever Forte Sedan that I find and write the VIN # and ask the guys at service to reset and program it accordingly... but even then, I'm pretty sure the auto's and the manual's have different programing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish you luck with your efforts.
One more thing came to mind: Say the cruise control was installed and worked properly, will there be any light/indicator in the dash? you know...the one that says 'Cruise on/off' etc..?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Harnesses are not "one size fits all" in Fortes. There are actually 1 of 7 different main harnesses behind the dash. Variables between them include engine and transmission choice, but also if it has cruise control or not. So "plug and play" may be completely out the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any more progress on this? Were you able to get the cruise control installed in your Forte? I'm a proud owner of a brand new Forte but I had no idea how much I'd miss cruise control and power locks! Power windows and steering isn't a big deal for me but I no cruise and power locks really sucks.

·
Banned
10 Posts
there is an aftermarket cruse control that is installed on my car cost about 300 total, cant remember the website, but works amazing makes long rides easy. best install ever

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 forte. I has the 6 speed trans and power locks/windows but not fob or cc. im working on this to add to my car also and once I have the money to get the stuff ill keep yall updated. I have a few more resources than most of yall being that im a kia tech, so if I find anything out or you got a question just ask

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 forte. I has the 6 speed trans and power locks/windows but not fob or cc. im working on this to add to my car also and once I have the money to get the stuff ill keep yall updated. I have a few more resources than most of yall being that im a kia tech, so if I find anything out or you got a question just ask

For the 2014+ adding cruise control should be fairly easy.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/sedan-general-discussions/39906-air-bag-removal-adding-o-e-cruise-control-non-equipped-car.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
that also depends on if the ecu has it programed for plug and play. it should be simple, but I know that a key fob isnt so easily added and on my side with the gds its blocked from allowing one to be programed ive tried, but the cc is a 50/50 shot

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have a 14 Forte Lx, what do u need to know whether the new Steering Wheel assy will or will not work? also, I need some part number for the steering wheel assy without heated steering wheel buttons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts