Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Infinity Tweeters

Who out there has experience with these speakers:

DLS 6-1/2" Component Speakers | Car Speakers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

They are certainly priced well. I'm thinking of replacing the fronts with components and the rears with coax. Originally, I was not going to put in an amp. but the opinion seems to be it's a necessity to get the cleanest sound. I don't listen to loud music, but I do want cleaner sound with a better sound stage than the stock speakers.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I was just about to buy the DLS speakers with a Pioneer amp when I looked at the final total. It was over $400 and I wasn't sure whether the improvement would be that great.

So, I have decided to go the cheap route. Since my main complaint is with the midrange and highs, I have purchased Infinity 109T tweeters with crossover for $59:
Amazon.com: Infinity 109T 1--Inch Edge-Driven UHF Dome Tweeter: Car Electronics

My hope is that the tweeters will clean up the sound and provide a wider soundstage. If I still don't have what I want, I'll get new 6.5" speakers and an amp.

I'll let you know the results after installation, which I hope to be next weekend. Oh wait, that's the 4th! Ok, the weekend after that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could not get the Infinity tweeters to fit in the very limited space where the original tweeters are located. The connector for the power mirror is right behind the tweeter and prevents you from putting anything else there.

Moving on to Plan B, which is to put coaxial speakers in the woofer location.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow wonder if anyone else has run into this. I am making plans for audio upgrades, so your update is helpful. Those infinitys aren't any bigger than most tweeters

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, today I installed new coax speakers in the front doors to see if I could get better midrange and highs. I put in: RE-65FR 2 Way Coaxial Full Range Speaker 125W * 70w AMS

They were ridiculously cheap at $40 a pair. Got good reviews and I figured I would put in the back if they were not that good. I put in one and compared it to the stock speaker. Tighter bass and much improved midrange and highs. The speakers have a pretty nice looking 1" soft dome tweeter.

If you are looking for a simple, cheap upgrade, give these speakers a try.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've order another set of RE speakers to install in the rear. These are great speakers, I really must recommend them to those who what better overall sound without spending much money.

·
Registered
265 Posts
and you installed these without an extra amp to run them, just straight speaker replacement running off existing headunit only? just curious i want to do all the speakers since I have no use for a big subwoofer to be honest.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No amp, just off the head unit. Volume level is about the same as OEM speakers. At first there seems to be less bass, but actually is just tighter and less boomy. I'm still very happy with these speakers. I've got the rears to put in, but just haven't had time, probably this weekend.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put in the rear set of RE speakers and while not a dramatic improvement, I do think the significantly better mids and highs adds more ambiance to the music and it sounds way better when you are sitting in the back. All you got from the OEM back speakers was a sort of muffled, boomy sound. The RE speakers are so much clearer and the bass is nice and tight. For a total investment of $80, it just can't be beat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rockford Fosgate

Rockford Fosgate P1653 for the rear and Rockford Fosgate P152-S for the front ... you won't go wrong at all! Ebay has them for under $150 for the two sets ...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not bad pricing on the Rockford Fosgate, but why go with a 5.25" front speaker, when you can put in a 6.5"? Also, where did you mount the tweeters? I tried separate tweeters, but found the depth available to mount them in the OEM location was too shallow. I didn't like the look of surface mounting the tweeters.

With the RE's, or other coaxial 6.5" speakers, the mounting is a breeze and the sound is a big improvement. I have kept the OEM tweeters, so some highs are coming out near ear level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I'm wondering how do you like your speaker set up so far, now that you've had them in for a while? Am I correct you installed the RE 65FR's all the way around, with no amps? and still have the stock tweeters? Or have you changed things around already? I'm thinking about going with these speakers...Any likes/dislikes?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jomin 1016 - I still like the speakers a lot. No amp, still have factory tweeters FE65R's in all 4 doors. The highs and midrange are significantly clearer and I was able to move the high and midrange adjustments on the stereo to flat. Bass is deep and tight, but not especially loud, I moved the P-Bass up to the middle setting, which I thinks sounds about right. They seem to be as efficient, so volume level is about like stock.

Speakers are always a personal preference, but I think just about everyone would agree these speakers sound much better than stock. If you like a clean, natural sound, like a B&W home speaker, then you will like these. Plus, for $40 a pair, they're a steal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.