Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because you have a Forte too!

About the second day I owned the car I noticed the very large door sills and the lack of any scuff protection. So I laid down some "raw carbon look" vinyl and was pleased. Then after about two days I noticed that the car collects an incredible amount of dust in the door sills as they're not at all sealed from the elements and there's only an inner seal for the doors. Today I finally got around to fixing it or attempting to by installing some "B" shaped 3M seals along the outer door edges. I was able to seal nearly the entire door (the back lower corners have nowhere that will touch and along the hinge areas there's no easy solution), but I was able to get the rest. So far there's a significant drop in road noise and I'll chime back in later if it's helped the dust problem. I'd say it's easily worth the $13 I spent.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Because you have a Forte too!

About the second day I owned the car I noticed the very large door sills and the lack of any scuff protection. So I laid down some "raw carbon look" vinyl and was pleased. Then after about two days I noticed that the car collects an incredible amount of dust in the door sills as they're not at all sealed from the elements and there's only an inner seal for the doors. Today I finally got around to fixing it or attempting to by installing some "B" shaped 3M seals along the outer door edges. I was able to seal nearly the entire door (the back lower corners have nowhere that will touch and along the hinge areas there's no easy solution), but I was able to get the rest. So far there's a significant drop in road noise and I'll chime back in later if it's helped the dust problem. I'd say it's easily worth the $13 I spent.
I was contemplating on doing this to help quiet down the interior. How thick was the weather stripping that you used? And do you recommend that size?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures are worth a thousand words...LOL!

I always finish cleaning ALL my cars by wiping down the door sills.
You are 100% correct on the pictures, busy evening, plus I wanted to ensure my solution is worth a shit before I got too carried away, but it seems viable. I’ll get you all pictures some time tomorrow…

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was contemplating on doing this to help quiet down the interior. How thick was the weather stripping that you used? And do you recommend that size?
Here’s the exact product I used, completed the job, with some extras. I do think the size is appropriate and seems to just seal it right.

CANOPUS Car Door Seal Strip, 32 Feet, Rubber Seal Self Adhesive Weather Stripping, B Shape, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PKGZ8Q...abc_P9TTH53YP4Q455GJCW4P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics installed on your Kia?
I'll do that for everyone tonight some time. I can say that if you're interested, take the time to heat up the adhesive and give it a good press. I live in VA and it's humid whether its hot or cold here, the air always is moist and gross. This morning part of it was falling off already and the car was like a pop can in the summer. I hit it with a heat gun and seems to have solved the problem. I'm pretty committed to not having all the crappy brown dust and road grime in the sills so I'll keep trying seals until it's right.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s a picture, if you look closely you can see the seal along the edge of the door frame, it goes along the entire bottom as well. So far it’s doing better for sound than dust, but seems to be an improvement. We’ll see after a few more temperature fluctuations and/or bad weather on how well it holds up…
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't suggest these seals for preventing dust, but helps with the sound. Over-all, I'd try a different type/size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts