Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 kia forte xls and I hit a deer. I'm currently waiting on the adjuster to come give his estimate for repairs or total it out. My question is, in your opinion does anyone think that this will be totaled out? Air bags did not deploy and the radiator is bent as well.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Mileage of the car would help with estimating the value of the car.

Was the engine running after the accident? Was the car moving?
It looks like about a 10k repair to me. Not a total yet, assuming something like 50-70k miles.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mileage of the car would help with estimating the value of the car.

Was the engine running after the accident? Was the car moving?
It looks like about a 10k repair to me. Not a total yet, assuming something like 50-70k miles.
No subframe damage, should be repairable; shame to see your car will be down for a extended period of time…I’m making an assumption that your insurance company will get you a rental for the down time of your ride…hoping that your policy covers the daily insurance on the rental…you wouldn’t want to hit another deer and not be covered. Good luck with your insurance claim, and hopefully your insurance rates don’t go up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vote is yes.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm afraid
No subframe damage, should be repairable; shame to see your car will be down for a extended period of time…I’m making an assumption that your insurance company will get you a rental for the down time of your ride…hoping that your policy covers the daily insurance on the rental…you wouldn’t want to hit another deer and not be covered. Good luck with your insurance claim, and hopefully your insurance rates don’t go up.
I was definitely worried about the frame. Unfortunately I don't have rental on my policy. I thought I did but unfortunately I didn't check to make sure. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has 56,000 miles. The engine was running before and after and the car drives but makes sounds. Radiator is bent and the passenger door won't open.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,426 Posts
Keep us up-to-date on what the insurance company says.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I doubt it's a total.... repairable
At least you’re not injured from the collision Wcsc0304, some people have been killed or severely injured from a collision with wildlife. In 1985 I had a collision with a moose in a 1974 Chevy Impala, came around a blind corner and it was standing on my side of the road; I couldn’t avoid it but I immediately hit the brakes let go of the steering wheel and ducked over to the passenger side; the antlers struck the windshield; hooked onto the steering wheel; then the entire roof peeled back. I came to rest in a shallow ditch, when I raised myself up I was shocked to see just what happened to my car; the entire steering wheel and column was gone and roof peeled back to the trunk. If I hadn’t ducked down I definitely would have been killed…didn’t care too much about the car…bought it for $300 in a local newspaper, it was a winter beater…thank goodness it was a big car with a bench seat. All the best to you and your Kia.

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
108 Posts
Maybe, there are shortages of tons of parts right now so in some cases insurance has been totaling vehicles based on lack of parts availability.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I doubt it's a total.... repairable
Insurance companies total repairable cars if the payout value is less than the repair cost. It will depend on what they determine the value of the car to be, and just how much damage there really is, which is impossible to determine with just the pictures provided.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm wondering why in the hell the air bags didn't deploy. How fast were you traveling? Thankfully, you're not hurt, that's the big issue in most deer collisions.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
At least you’re not injured from the collision Wcsc0304, some people have been killed or severely injured from a collision with wildlife. In 1985 I had a collision with a moose in a 1974 Chevy Impala, came around a blind corner and it was standing on my side of the road; I couldn’t avoid it but I immediately hit the brakes let go of the steering wheel and ducked over to the passenger side; the antlers struck the windshield; hooked onto the steering wheel; then the entire roof peeled back. I came to rest in a shallow ditch, when I raised myself up I was shocked to see just what happened to my car; the entire steering wheel and column was gone and roof peeled back to the trunk. If I hadn’t ducked down I definitely would have been killed…didn’t care too much about the car…bought it for $300 in a local newspaper, it was a winter beater…thank goodness it was a big car with a bench seat. All the best to you and your Kia.
Quick thinking on your part, man. I'm happy to hear that is was an old Bowtie and NOT a Mopar! LOL

·
Premium Member
2021 Forte GT2 Pearl White
25 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm wondering why in the hell the air bags didn't deploy. How fast were you traveling? Thankfully, you're not hurt, that's the big issue in most deer collisions.
I was thinking the same thing. Why no airbag?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Insurance companies total repairable cars if the payout value is less than the repair cost. It will depend on what they determine the value of the car to be, and just how much damage there really is, which is impossible to determine with just the pictures provided.
Trade in values are between15-17k...kbb car values are sky high... plenty of used parts on the market.. thousands of OEM parts at junk yards, and online... do you think this has 15 k in damage?

The damage is cosmetic.. it looks much worse than what it is... hood, fender, bumper cover... headlight assy, inner fender..mirror rad/condenser.. plus labor/paint will not come up to 15k in damage... it will be repaired

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,426 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Why no airbag?
I think the answer to your question is in the picture of the car - the steel bumper was not impacted, hence the airbag sensor wasn't activated. He hit the deer with the soft parts of the right front end. The air bag sensor is on the steel beam - and the beam hasn't moved.

Correction: After looking into this further - the sensor is located just behind the radiator support above the steel beam.

Behind the radiator support circled:

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille

The sensor must not have been jarred enough - the steel beam has not moved.

·
Premium Member
2021 Forte GT2 Pearl White
25 Posts
I think the answer to your question is in the picture of the car - the steel bumper was not impacted, hence the airbag sensor wasn't activated. He hit the deer with the soft parts of the right front end. The air bag sensor is on the steel beam - and the beam hasn't moved.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The front impact/crash bar doesn't look dented. The front looks like it's repairable. The question is how much & will it be worth it to the insurance company.

If the car is a total loss, get a new one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts