Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm wondering why in the hell the air bags didn't deploy. How fast were you traveling? Thankfully, you're not hurt, that's the big issue in most deer collisions.
Same! I was traveling at 60 mph and the airbags never deployed. The car has been deemed a total loss. I am very lucky that I wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
Well guys it is a total loss. 6 pages of damages.
Sad to see your car get totaled, but after something like that often the car doesn't "feel" or drive the same. I hope they give you enough to get another car right away!

Reactions: Meliel1

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
517 Posts
I'd contact the NHTSB and report that about the air bags. Man, if the airbags in my 2008 Dodge Caliber hadn't deployed like they're supposed to back in 2010, I wouldn't be here chatting you you guys. 18 year old dope head passed out behind the wheel of her 96 Neon and hit me head on! I was doing 55 and the Highway Patrol estimated her speed at 65-75 mph at the time of impact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'd contact the NHTSB and report that about the air bags. Man, if the airbags in my 2008 Dodge Caliber hadn't deployed like they're supposed to back in 2010, I wouldn't be here chatting you you guys. 18 year old dope head passed out behind the wheel of her 96 Neon and hit me head on! I was doing 55 and the Highway Patrol estimated her speed at 65-75 mph at the time of impact.
That's crazy! I'm glad you're still here. Everyone I talked to said that the airbags should have deployed but not one did!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
That's crazy! I'm glad you're still here. Everyone I talked to said that the airbags should have deployed but not one did!
Everyone's an armchair engineer! A deer is a "soft target" the steel bumper doesn't appear to have been impacted - the deer smashed into side and "soft" areas of the front end. You can see that the steel beam is not distorted from being pushed in.

You can make a claim to the NHTSB - wouldn't hurt.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
517 Posts
Was the insurance adjuster surprised that the airbags didn't deploy? If so, report it, if not, then don't report it. They're SUPPOSED to know about those things. Obviously, my opinion isn't an informed one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 kia forte xls and I hit a deer. I'm currently waiting on the adjuster to come give his estimate for repairs or total it out. My question is, in your opinion does anyone think that this will be totaled out? Air bags did not deploy and the radiator is bent as well. View attachment 84722
View attachment 84723
View attachment 84720
View attachment 84721
I'm going to say it will be repaired and not totaled. A tractor trailer misjudged a double left hand turn intersection, i was far left turn lane, my car was hit/ran over the back and right side one of my cars with the back tires/ metal beam looking things at the back end of the trailer, caused$16,850 in damage but not totaled. I asked why it was not totaled and it was explained that there was no frame damage nor were airbags deployed plus the payout value was more than the repair, had the car for only 4 months with low mileage. In hindsight I wish I had simply traded it in after the repair as it's never looked quite the same as it was a combo of did the OEM/aftermarket parts. Best of luck on your repair, glad you were not injured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to say it will be repaired and not totaled. A tractor trailer misjudged a double left hand turn intersection, i was far left turn lane, my car was hit/ran over the back and right side one of my cars with the back tires/ metal beam looking things at the back end of the trailer, caused$16,850 in damage but not totaled. I asked why it was not totaled and it was explained that there was no frame damage nor were airbags deployed plus the payout value was more than the repair, had the car for only 4 months with low mileage. In hindsight I wish I had simply traded it in after the repair as it's never looked quite the same as it was a combo of did the OEM/aftermarket parts. Best of luck on your repair, glad you were not injured.
glad to see you read even 2 posts before yours.. it was totalled.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
OP already came back to tell us it was totaled by the insurance company, and the damage report was like 6 pages long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well guys it is a total loss. 6 pages of damages.
WOW Im surprised.. what was the total repair cost? Would make a great Canidate for a rebuild... but times have changed alot... at least you were not hurt was the most important... cars can be replaced, people can not

what are you looking to replace car with?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
517 Posts
Water under the bridge, man. Just let it go. Some people can't help themselves! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL I chose not to help myself. This is not water under any bridge. I am so mad I can not believe this has happened. How could you!? This man has been in a serious accident and you chose to not read and reply. Tisk tisk tisk my whole year has been ruined. Im selling car that’s it we’re done here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Everyone's an armchair engineer! A deer is a "soft target" the steel bumper doesn't appear to have been impacted - the deer smashed into side and "soft" areas of the front end. You can see that the steel beam is not distorted from being pushed in.

You can make a claim to the NHTSB - wouldn't hurt.

View attachment 84738
That and let's not forget, that the passenger side airbag is not responsive if there is no passenger. As far as I read, there was no passenger in the car at the time of accident.

Reactions: ForteGT2
21 - 37 of 37 Posts