Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought our Fortes at the same time. I have an SX Koup and she has an EX sedan (1up :)). On her sedan when you pop the trunk her lid raises all the way up which is nice if you have your hands full. On my Koup it just pops and sits there. I have to actually lift it up.

I'm wondering how this works for other Koup owners. I would like mine to raise up like hers but I am not sure what is normal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
there's someone on her jimmy rigged some bungie straps to do that. but by default they don't open all the way.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Are the sedan trunk lids smaller and lighter maybe? My Koup doesn't open all the way on it's own, too heavy especially with the spoiler on it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My koup just pops never opens far :(
would be nice if it opened even halfway lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
The sedan may have stronger springs. I'd like to get stronger springs so my Koup's lid will open by itself. Very handy when you have your hands full.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i have a koup- it never opened beyond the unlock stage- now that i have a big spoiler - no chance its gonna open on its own.....
and if i am not mistaken- we dont have springs in the trunk- i think they are torsion bar types.......not having climbed in my trunk to look- but i am wondering- if there are additional "notches" to allow adjustment of the torsion bars? when i had my project car (68 firebird convertable) it had the torsion bar set up for the trunk lid--- after getting tired of unlocking it w/a key- and the lid just sitting there- i finally climbed up in and saw that there were 3 notches for the torsion bar- so after grabbing big pliers- i readjusted and sure as heck- the trunk just popped right up.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
My Koup's trunk opens only a bit. On my sedan I have the Kia spoiler -- the spoiler came with stronger springs/torsion bars and the trunk does open a little more than half way.

·
Registered
431 Posts
SX Koup here, For some reason, when I open it with key, it just pops and sits there, I have to go around and lift it, but when I use the switch near the bottom left. It opens almost all the way.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
SX Sedan here... it just unlocks, you have to raise it up manually on mine but then I have the factory spoiler as well.

I tried to get the bungee thing to work but without any luck, I'm going to have to find that post again. :(

·
Premium Member
704 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
funny story, when i first used my trunk i was leaving the dealer with all the crap that was in my old vehicle. my "crap" consisted of school books, backpack, bunches of loose paper that i had to gather up, paintball equipment, sun visor, etc... and i had most of the loose stuff in a trash bag and my backpack and books in my hand and i hit the trunk key on my remote waiting for it and all it did was, "click"... i was like are you effin kidding me? i tired to use my knee and then elbow but no luck. haha the end

but i have an ex and like a previous post, my trunk has a nice big spoiler on now so there's no way in hell its poppin up all the way now

oh P.S., the guy that sold me the car and I spent like 10 minutes looking for a trunk key hole. we were messing with the emblem for a while and then we went and looked at the other koups too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
funny story.......... the guy that sold me the car and I spent like 10 minutes looking for a trunk key hole. we were messing with the emblem for a while and then we went and looked at the other koups too.
brings up interesting point- how do you get into the trunk if the trunk mechinism get stuck? cuz isnt the only way to drop the back seats from the inside of the trunk?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I thought there was a lever on the seat backs. I might be thinking of my previous car though. It would suck if others in the car needed to grab something in the trunk and you had to pull over to get into the trunk first, but then why bother opening seat since you can now grab the item :p

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I don't think I would want my trunk to swing open all the way on its own in case it opens on its own (happened twice). Looks like it is closed when I do press the open switch/lever which is a nice safety "feature".

·
Registered
288 Posts
I drive an EX and same story the trunk pops but doesn't go anywhere. Took me a while to get used to the travel, found I was being too gentle or would smash it closed!

Might have to remove the dealership frame cause it rattles something fierce when the trunk is closed, makes the car sound cheap...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dido with all the ones that just opens! My forte koup does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts