Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
CarThis is the big problem with most current GDI engines. Due to modern unburned hydrocarbon (UHC) regulations, vapors from the crankcase are usually vented into the intake stream in order to prevent oil droplets from escaping through the exhaust. In a port injection engine, these droplets are ‘washed off’ the neck of the intake valve by a relatively constant stream of gasoline droplets. In a GDI engine, the gasoline doesn’t touch intake side of the valve. As a result, the droplets have a tendency to bake onto the valve and significantly reduce performance. To add to this effect, many advanced GDI engines also include exhaust gas recirculation in order to lean out the combustion mixture and reduce in-cylinder temperatures for certain combustion modes (reducing NOx emissions). Since GDI combustion has the ability to produce far more soot than premixed combustion (port injection), the problem is magnified.

Carbon buildup on intake valves.

This is why i prefer a port injection engine like on my 2012 LX
I would like to hear your thoughts from 2014-2015 forte owners.
You can be happy with the under powered port injection, but don't go trying to push others away from GDI engines if you don't truly understand them. Sure for car enthusiasts that are building their engines and modding the crap out of them, sure this would be a concern. But most who mod anything know the first thing you do is catch cans turbo or not. For the average driver that will never have the car over 4000 rpm will have 150K miles on the car and traded it in before having to worry about this. I run 2 cans and can pull my manifold off the head and it is perfectly dry, no oil residue or build up of anything. Basically if you build it build it right (like anything) and if you drive it normal leave it alone and it will be fine. :nerd2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posting the same info in two posts doesn't help your point, But that's why KIA recommends adding an additive if your not using TOP TIER fuel.

As KIA design engineer and build the engines and warranty them, and most of their lineup is now GDI, I think I'll stick to mine. (both engines on the Soul are now GDI).

Don't think a million+ owners of GDI engines will be returning them anytime soon.
The engine in my 2015 Kia Forte 5 ex GDI just got messed up so I have to change engine. Can I use a regular 2.0 or does it have to be a GDI?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The engine in my 2015 Kia Forte 5 ex GDI just got messed up so I have to change engine. Can I use a regular 2.0 or does it have to be a GDI?
This kind of question is asked all the time...Today's automobiles are built and designed to be controlled by computers. It is not feasible to insert a different engine into a car because you wont be able to hook up the same sensors and engine controls. GDI engines utilized extremely high fuel pressures and the computer is set up to control this. Inserting a non GDI engine into your car will require the engine control module to be replaced...AND...since the engine control "talks" to the body control module AND the Transmission control module AND the in-dash screen you'd need to replace all these from the donor car too (or be able to modify the software in each so that they can "talk" to each other). No telling what the expense would be to convert a GDI engine-equipped car with a non-GDI engine! I believe you would also have to replace the GDI-equipped car's high pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank with the non-GDI fuel pump.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts