Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, not a Forte owner yet but I am looking into one after a test drive on Saturday.

What brought me here? After being a die hard GM owner for 16 years (every car I have owned save two have been a GM product) and owning everything from a 75 Chevy Nova to a 81 Chevette, 1992 to 2000 Saturn S-series, my current daily driver a 2004 Saturn ION Redline (done payments in 6 months thus why I am looking around) and my project car a 85 Pontiac Fiero (getting a 2.0 turbo cobalt motor), and looking at the current line up with GM which doesn't have one car that I would be interested in buying within my price range. They dropped the Cobalt line, and are currently screwing everybody that has a ION by not including them with the steering recall on the Cobalts. I'm sick and tired of GM corporate engine and its uselessness in trying todo something right........this is why I am looking around, and I am glad I did!!!

Ever since it came out I was impressed with the look on the Forte Koup's, and Genesis coupes (just out of my price range) so I took a 2.4L 6spd Forte koup for a test drive. I was extremely impressed with the fit and finish with this car, the interior and exterior were put together with a purpose, nothing looked out of place and everything fit well. Driving it was a pleasure, with little to no road noise, and interior cabin noise (creaks and rattles) was no-existent. Acceleration was excellent, handling and braking were great for a front wheel drive car. (although my ION redline is much faster, but 275hp with meth injection will do that). But seriously, this car is far and above from what I can see is better than anything within its price range from GM.........if the Koreans can get it right, what the hell is wrong with domestic car companies??????

So I guess my job for the next 6 months is to do some reading, check out the board, find out if there is any issues with the car to make a more informed decision about the car. What kind of aftermarket support is there for the Forte Koups? I would be looking for the basic bolt ons (since I have a wild project car already) Exhaust, intake, springs/struts, tower bars/chassis bracing, stereo options since it has an incorporated fascia bezel? Does the engine take well to Nitrous?

Here's a quick pic of my current daily driver and my project car

Jer

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont know about aftermarket support but from the manufacturer side there are drop sprigs, exhaust, front and side skirts, performance air filter, wheels and badges available starting may 2010... im the service manager for 401 dixie kia if you have any questions or maybe wanna shop around for a better price id be more than willing to help when your ready to buy. cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of drop are the springs? I was hoping for about 2", it would help reduce the wheel gap a lot. Also what size is the exhaust? is it mandrel bent or crush bent? stainless steel or galv mild steel? What kind of muffler is on it? I saw the kit package at the auto show, front bumper looks good with the lip kit.

Jer

·
Registered
26 Posts
The springs are eibach and its a 1.3 inch drop, the exhaust has dual stainless 3.5 inch tips (mandrel bend tubing) as for the size and make of exhaust ill get back to you. the front fascia looks great with the kit on...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a intake system that pulls cool air from the drivers fender area? When I was looking at it, it looks like its a possibility, would help keep the intake charge cooler.

Jer

·
Registered
320 Posts
What about a intake system that pulls cool air from the drivers fender area? When I was looking at it, it looks like its a possibility, would help keep the intake charge cooler.

Jer
turbokits.com is coming up with a CAI that will mount where you're talking about.

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Hello all, not a Forte owner yet but I am looking into one after a test drive on Saturday.

Jer

Hey Jer, pop into the Canada/GTA Meetup thread an let us know if you can meetup on the 10th of April

You be able to ask lots of questions, see our rides and our mods and get a feeling about how we like them!

Cheers,

Darryl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PharaohKoup : are you running a wideband O2 sensor with your nitrous? what about even a basic narrow band gauge hooked up to the stock O2 sensor?

Sorry about the questions, I used to run nitrous on another car for drag racing only and I had both hooked up, but then I had installed a turbo as well on it. Even my current car I am running a wideband and narrow band gauge to make sure my engine isn't going to self destruct.

Jer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small change in plans, I still want one, but I have decided to pay down some debt first, no sense buying a new car when I pay off my existing one when I have two CC's that could use some paying off. I am grabbing a used car so that I can keep my project car going, when I am done with the debts the turbo forte should be out and I can take a look at grabbing one of those.

Jer

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Small change in plans, I still want one, but I have decided to pay down some debt first, no sense buying a new car when I pay off my existing one when I have two CC's that could use some paying off. I am grabbing a used car so that I can keep my project car going, when I am done with the debts the turbo forte should be out and I can take a look at grabbing one of those.

Jer
I think that's a good plan, if you want to get into a turbo version, always better to start with a factory turbo car that comes with a warranty IMO.:D

Come out to the meet on the 10th anyway and see what the fuss is all about. Oh, and as far as seeing what the Koup can look like lowered with larger wheels, check out the SX-R version available in Canada only and imagine it with an extra 100hp!:eek:

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/k...rte-koup-sx-r-test-canadian-market-first.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigE, can I steal your tagline? I wanna put it on my car and the wifes jeep, I have my modified cars, she has her big jeep TJ and your tagline is exactly what we are like, both in our 30's and still play with our toys.

Jer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts