Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble lately with my door not closing right and the window doesn't seal even when the door IS closed. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow morning. I understand some other people were having trouble with this and took it in. What should I be expecting? Any insight would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well as along as it's not from being in an accident, you should be expecting a fixed car :)...Sounds like a manufacturing default. IF they keep the car, they should pay ( the dealership ) for the rental car. If not them, maybe Kia road side assistance will fork over the bill for a rental.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If it is the pass side window mine did the same thing, took it to the dealer and i was out in 30 minutes thay had to adjust the window stops!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is the pass side window mine did the same thing, took it to the dealer and i was out in 30 minutes thay had to adjust the window stops!!!!
Mine was the driver side. They couldn't replicate the problem so I got a call about 2 hours later to come back and pick it up. Said adjusting it could cause more harm than good.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Mine was the driver side. They couldn't replicate the problem so I got a call about 2 hours later to come back and pick it up. Said adjusting it could cause more harm than good.
I might have to agree with them. I had the window problem. I took my car in and they adjusted the window without recreating the problem because there is a technical service bulletin out on it.

As soon as I drove off the lot I was having a whistling wind noise coming from the window. I took my car back to the dealer and they said that they can't hear the wind noise that I am talking about so they won't do anything else to the car.

If I had to choose I would rather have the window hitting problem rather than the wind noise I now have to listen to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I experienced this problem once on the passsager side. I heard wind noise as if the door was not closed completely. There was no warning in the display and the door looked closed when viewed from the side-view mirror. Well, I stopped the car and opened the door and shut it again. No more noice. It was kinda weird. I open the passenger side door all the time, but never had this experience. I think the door latch was caught in the twilight zone. This incident occured after my daughter closed the door in a slight down hill parking. So, I think it was closed just so that it leaked air, but triggered all the safety sensors.

I would recommend you first grease the latch so that it works smoothly before taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend you first grease the latch so that it works smoothly before taking it to the dealer.
I don't believe it's the latch. I would say it's definitely an alignment issue. But, it doesn't happen frequently enough for it to really bother me so it's no big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paulst2419:

You are absolutely correct. Just yesterday, I found the passenger side window not seated properly. I pushed it in and it seated properly against the window seal. Like you said, it doesn't happen frequently.

Does anyone know how the dealer adjusted the window stop? Where's the link to the service call?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hate to say it...but kia kind of messed up on these frameless doors. Sure they're nice but it's the first frameless door they've ever done and the first 2-door.

I drove a mustang and noticed on thing...when you open the door the power windows roll it down about 2-3 inches. When you close the door it goes back up.

At first i was like....oh wow the windows roll up when you close the door, then i realized what was happening. If Kia had this we wouldnt be having these alignment issues. And does anyone else hate the marks left by the weather stripping on the door? it's a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had this same problem. I would hear a whistling noise going down the highway, I checked the door, then it was gone. Oh well...doesnt bother me when the music is up!
I don't like the weather stripping either. Thats one area I have to clean when I wash my car cause those marks annoy me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had this same problem. I would hear a whistling noise going down the highway, I checked the door, then it was gone. Oh well...doesnt bother me when the music is up!
I don't like the weather stripping either. Thats one area I have to clean when I wash my car cause those marks annoy me.
Only when you wash it? I keep a pen size bottle of rain-x and a microfibre in my arm rest storage and do it nearly every second day

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hate to say it...but kia kind of messed up on these frameless doors. Sure they're nice but it's the first frameless door they've ever done and the first 2-door.

I drove a mustang and noticed on thing...when you open the door the power windows roll it down about 2-3 inches. When you close the door it goes back up.

At first i was like....oh wow the windows roll up when you close the door, then i realized what was happening. If Kia had this we wouldnt be having these alignment issues. And does anyone else hate the marks left by the weather stripping on the door? it's a pain in the a$$
The problem with this is, the Mustang windows also get out of Calibration, and won't close properly and Ford charges $195 each time to Re-Calibrate the computer that controls this feature. I can do the same thing myself when entering the Koup... After closing the door, just hit the power window switch down for a second and then up to close them and seat them in their seals.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually had an 06 mustang and didnt appreciate the windows rolling down until I got the Koup.

Anyways... I took it to another dealer who told me the first dealer I took it to were a bunch of idiots. The heat build-up in the car causes the weather stripping to bulge out and doesn't allow the window to seal properly. Alot of Koups have this problem, even brand new ones on their lot. They just order another part and, supposedly, problem solved. I haven't ordered the part yet.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I actually had an 06 mustang and didnt appreciate the windows rolling down until I got the Koup.

Anyways... I took it to another dealer who told me the first dealer I took it to were a bunch of idiots. The heat build-up in the car causes the weather stripping to bulge out and doesn't allow the window to seal properly. Alot of Koups have this problem, even brand new ones on their lot. They just order another part and, supposedly, problem solved. I haven't ordered the part yet.
If heat is the problem then how is a replacement part going to help?

Anyway, please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK... I called the service department again and this time he just said it's a door adjustment. I was wondering the same thing about the replacement part but I figured maybe it was different material. Anyways, I'm probably taking the car to them around 2 and I'll give an update about 2 hours later

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got mine back along with the battery being replaced because it was weak and only 9 months old. Anyway, there is a service notice ? about the door and window adjustment. Basically, the window hits the trim above it keeping the window from sealing when closing the door. Open the window a little and it will pop in, then close and it will seal. Mine was consistant on the hotter days. Now that it has cooled off a little, it does not do it so much. Showed the service guy at the dealership and they fixed it.

OK... I called the service department again and this time he just said it's a door adjustment. I was wondering the same thing about the replacement part but I figured maybe it was different material. Anyways, I'm probably taking the car to them around 2 and I'll give an update about 2 hours later

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got mine back along with the battery being replaced because it was weak and only 9 months old. Anyway, there is a service notice ? about the door and window adjustment. Basically, the window hits the trim above it keeping the window from sealing when closing the door. Open the window a little and it will pop in, then close and it will seal. Mine was consistant on the hotter days. Now that it has cooled off a little, it does not do it so much. Showed the service guy at the dealership and they fixed it.
EXACTLY what mine is doing. Everything is all good now?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back with my passenger side door. I took my car to one dealer and they tried to adjust window but no improvement. I then took the car to another dealer and lucky for me they had an older mechanic there, he suggested to adjust the the striker plate on the door pilar itself, wahla now door closes and the windows doesn't hit the frame and no wind noise.
Apparently there's adjustment that can be done on this plate on the Koup but not the 4 door

·
Registered
10 Posts
rpps:

Where is this striker plate on the door pillar? Is the door pillar the hinge side or the latch side?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts