Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

The interior door handle on the driver's side. The "metal look" paint crap lifted up on the handle, creating a sharp edge...didnt know it had lifted like that. Well, tonight, when I went to open the door, I found out. It put about a 2 inch gash in my left hand, needed 4 stitches to close the cut.

crap was as sharp as a razor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn man hope ur ok. That's the last thing I would expect from opening a plastic door handle in a car lol

Yeah, tell me about it. That was the problem...plastic handle with thin metal plating....the plating came up at the seam, and made a razor-sharp edge about 1/4 high.

Means I got a good cut in the palm of my hand about 2 inches long and a little less than 1/4 inch deep. Bled all over inside the car before I managed to grab some of those paper things from the gas station and wrapped it up to try and stop the bleeding.

Good thing I'm a nurse at a local hospital....I got in and got all stitched up in less than 10minutes.

But the point is..the stupid farkin' paint on the plastic door handle cut my hand pretty badly...

Just a heads up for everyone else.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow-shouldn't Kia be notified about this? Are you going to follow up with the dealer?

Where are the pics?!! Lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not to the OP...

I closed my door on my hand, Kia should set me up for life.

Certain things happen and I doubt what happened to the OP is typical. Anyone here ever have that problem? There is no inherit defect in the door handle which is pretty much what someone would need to show to have Kia be responsible. Certainly the OPs local dealer is not responsible.

Its too bad what happened to the OP but it's a shame that some (other) people are always of the frame of mind that it's always someone elses fault for every bad thing that happens. :(

I _think_ it was the OP's intent to let people know of his/her issue so that other people can be on the watch out. That is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had the silver on shift knob come up on my SX...thank God it was not actually metal but a plam...that being said it was sharp as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to the OP...

I closed my door on my hand, Kia should set me up for life.

Certain things happen and I doubt what happened to the OP is typical. Anyone here ever have that problem? There is no inherit defect in the door handle which is pretty much what someone would need to show to have Kia be responsible. Certainly the OPs local dealer is not responsible.

Its too bad what happened to the OP but it's a shame that some (other) people are always of the frame of mind that it's always someone elses fault for every bad thing that happens. :(

I _think_ it was the OP's intent to let people know of his/her issue so that other people can be on the watch out. That is a good thing.
Correct. I'm not suing anyone over this lol.

Just letting everyone know so they can check the state of the metal (or pain) on their interior door handles.

On the top side (facing the window) there is a seam where the plastic was molded together. That is where the plating came up, and I guess with the heat, it curled backwards and was sticking up. I never noticed it until it cut my hand.

Just wanted everyone to be aware so they can maybe check their door handles (including the passenger side) so that they or someone that rides with them doesnt get the same thing.

As far as letting Kia know, I called the dealership and told them what happened just to make them aware, but made sure to tell them I'm not suing anyone or anything lol.

Seriously, its a cut. A bad cut admittedly, but it'll heal. No long-term harm, no foul.

As to the interior of my car...a little peroxide and its as good as new lol.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree no reason to sue or anything like that, you could probably bring it to the dealer and ask them to fix the metal piece if you wanted but thanks for the heads up. I am glad you aren't goin crazy over it. :]

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wouldn't equate a lawsuit with going crazy. It may be a rush to judgement to say "sue them", but I think what people are trying to say is that someone should pay for the pain and inconvenience of a trip to the ER and blood all over the car. Accidents happen with things like car doors when fingers or hands get in the way. Getting hand-carved on a handle shouldn't happen. This isn't a hand in the wrong place. The handle is not doing what it's supposed to.

While I applaud the op's calm demeanor, I would not be so easy going. I would demand some resolution, including paying for the bill. I also would be pushing the issue on the dealer and corporate Kia. This is called accountability. If this issue turns into something more than a freak issue, it could save some other skin. If kia doesnt get held accountable, and this happens to a child, or maybe someone has a permanent scar, what then?

If this is a freak occurrence, then at least that would be determined. If not, then let's have a solution from Kia to get our cars fixed. I am glad everything is ok for our poster, good thing they were a nurse!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also would be pushing the issue on the dealer and corporate Kia. This is called accountability. If this issue turns into something more than a freak issue, it could save some other skin.
Agreed - I've never experienced or heard anything like this on a car before so first thing that comes to mind for me is manufacturing defect(?). What is alarming to me is that it's the INTERIOR handle.

I can understand if it happened to the exterior handle that is unsheltered from the elements.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also agree with AZMX5, speak to the manager of the dealer in private. Explain your situation and how you feel some accountability and return should be done. Both corporate Kia and the dealer don't want a bad name. If the manager is a proper manager, they will pay to have it fixed and give you some credits for maintenance on the car and get your car fully cleaned/detailed. A happy customer will still recommend that dealer, regardless if a freak accident hurt you, and the manager of the dealership knows this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

I talked to the dealership where I bought my car. I showed them the door handle, but I had used a pocket knife to trim away the lifted paint so I could safely use the door handle lol.

I wasn't charged for the stitches or anything....I had it done at the same hospital where I work.

The manager had the guys pull the car around and look things over. When I got the car back, it was washed and detailed.

the manager asked me what it would take to make me happy, and i just told him "A couple of oil changes since I can't do them myself with stitches in my hand would be cool" so he gave me a credit for 5 free oil changes.

He made an appointment with me to replace both the interior handles "just in case" he said since I didnt have time to wait or anything.

I'm happy about it. Like I said, yeah, it hurt a bit and was a bit of a surprise, but its not like it caused some lasting injury or anything.

BTW: I'm a GUY lol. Not all nurses are women haha.

I just wanted to give everyone else a heads up so they could maybe check their interior handles to see if the plating/paint is starting to lift up at the seam in the top side so the same thing doesnt happen to them as well.

Have a good night :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
They gave a million to a stupid woman who spilled her Mcdonalds coffee on her leg while driving,why not for a worthy cause like this .

·
Registered
16 Posts
They gave a million to a stupid woman who spilled her Mcdonalds coffee on her leg while driving,why not for a worthy cause like this .
It wasn't quite a million dollars...$640,000 mostly in punitive damages.

McDonalds was quite bad! Anyone who reads about this case in any more than a cursory manner will completely agree with both the jury's and judge's verdict.

--McDonald's had been repeatedly warned not to serve their coffee at 180 degrees (liquid on skin will cause 3rd degree burns in less than 2 seconds at that temperature).
--Other restaurants heeded those warnings and served at 140 or less.
--McDonald's own research warned most customers immediately drank their coffee and recommended not to serve at such high temps.
--The woman suffered 3rd degree burns on 6% of her body, required numerous skin grafts, and lost 20% of her body weight.

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 20 of 28 Posts