Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hate to raise an old thread but the same thing has happened to my Forte. Only on the drivers side but the door handle at the top the metal started peeling back and i cut my finger trying to open the door. Nothing terribly bad no medical attention needed, but it did happen.

I've also had to have the steering wheel replaced because it started peeling. just a couple things that honestly shouldn't happen to a new car.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Everybody start checking your door handles. Copper, anyway you can take a picture so everybody has a better idea of what to look for? Do you have an LX, EX, SX?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
The same crap happened to me but it was the paint from my shifter knob. The Auto climate chrome has started to do the same as well.

The chrome or paint they use is crappy and the plastic surfaces they apply it too are poorly finished, it's got lots of sharp excess plastic.

The good thing is the dealers, at least the ones that are real Kia ones (not some old converted Pontiac dealer) care enough to fix it no fuss no muss.

·
Registered
489 Posts
While this is a terrible ordeal, I must say I am again impressed with Kia dealerships ability to handle these situations maturely and in a manner of trying to keep a customer. It's not like Kia purposely designed the door handle to come apart. The dealer is going above and beyond in my opinion. I've dealt with other dealers (Volkswagen), where they would just laugh at you if you brought this to their attention.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:

I talked to the dealership where I bought my car. I showed them the door handle, but I had used a pocket knife to trim away the lifted paint so I could safely use the door handle lol.

I wasn't charged for the stitches or anything....I had it done at the same hospital where I work.

The manager had the guys pull the car around and look things over. When I got the car back, it was washed and detailed.

the manager asked me what it would take to make me happy, and i just told him "A couple of oil changes since I can't do them myself with stitches in my hand would be cool" so he gave me a credit for 5 free oil changes.

He made an appointment with me to replace both the interior handles "just in case" he said since I didnt have time to wait or anything.

I'm happy about it. Like I said, yeah, it hurt a bit and was a bit of a surprise, but its not like it caused some lasting injury or anything.

BTW: I'm a GUY lol. Not all nurses are women haha.

I just wanted to give everyone else a heads up so they could maybe check their interior handles to see if the plating/paint is starting to lift up at the seam in the top side so the same thing doesnt happen to them as well.

Have a good night :)
Update:

It's been over eight years since the original post of this thread and they obviously have not corrected the problem. I just sliced my finger open today (11/18/2019) on the door handle of my Kia Forte for the EXACT same reason as the original poster. Until I looked the issue up online and found this thread, I didn't even know this was possible.

I've sent a message to Kia Motors America and am awaiting a response. Fortunately, I was not hurt as badly as the OP, but the fact that Kia has known about this and has chosen to not mention it to their customers is a bit disconcerting.

I will let everyone know what Kia says/does about the situation.
Kia.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update:

It's been over eight years since the original post of this thread and they obviously have not corrected the problem. I just sliced my finger open today (11/18/2019) on the door handle of my Kia Forte for the EXACT same reason as the original poster. Until I looked the issue up online and found this thread, I didn't even know this was possible.

I've sent a message to Kia Motors America and am awaiting a response. Fortunately, I was not hurt as badly as the OP, but the fact that Kia has known about this and has chosen to not mention it to their customers is a bit disconcerting.

I will let everyone know what Kia says/does about the situation.
View attachment 79363
Good picture of the problem chris. Thank you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Same for me. Both are peeled but keep bending them back.

The chrome plated interior driver side handle has cut my pinky & ring finger several times like a paper cut. The 1st time though, that was bad. Amazing how such a small tiny piece of chrome can cut like a damn razor. I don't want to peel.it off cause it will cause more sharp edges, more peeling more cuts. So I bend it back every time I get in. Would like to get a pair of new chromed or at least silver painted interior door handles.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts