Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After over a yr of being constantly side tracked with other things, not enough time, working on a other cars & not having a garage/carport. I finally got to finish removing the plastic weather barriers from my Kia.

That damn black butyl is a pita to keep from getting everywhere & on anything.

Went to home depot & bought the grey carpet material.

I removed the plastic sheet. Traced it on floor vinyl. Cut out the vinyl template & traced it onto the carpet with a sharpie.

I thought of several ways to ancjor/attach the carpet weather barrier (screws, self taping screws, rivets, velcro. I ended up using that damn black butyl.

It actually wasn't that bad. The carpet material helped alot vs the all over the place plastic table cloth.

I thought of making the barriers out of stainless steel. Would've been tedious & really a hassle. The local junk/salvage yard never has 2010 thru 2013 Kia Forte Koups & I don't know if the 2011 thru 2013 have the aluminum weather barriers.

The 2010's thru 2013' sedans have the aluminum barriers.

Here's a few pics.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,129 Posts
A better sound deadener then plastic, but won't the carpet absorb moisture?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thin carpet material I used has a film behind it. Spray on adhesive/non slip thin rubber spray on.

The plastic sheet barrier was falling apart here & there.

I'll keep an eye out for moisture/condensation accumulation

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure looks nice! But what was the purpose of swapping out the OEM plastic barrier? Sound deadening? It was torn?
Yeah, also the black butyl would be so soft that it would smear around. Black Butyl is a pita to remove/clean & stay put.

Also the plastic weather barriers were just tearing/brittle. Whenever moisture/condensation appeared, the moisture/condensation would be on both sides. Inside the door & outside. Both sides of the plastic barrier would be covered in moisture/condensation & sprayed on water.

I drove for over a yr without the actual door interior panels.

So with that hypothosis & info. I decided to replace the plastic weather barriers with the thinnest carpet material from Home Depot. It's the thinnest & flexible material. It also comes in bark blue/dark navy/navy color.

I didn't want to use vinyl. That would just be the same just with a fancy pattern & designs. I was gonna use bed sheets trace, template cut install.

Did that for a test run. Too much sprayon/rolled on bed liner needed & time consuming.

I also tried plastic dipping (spray/rattle can) on a sheet. Not cheap.

I went to the $1 store/family tree & used plain shower curtain. Exactly the same material just under $2.00 & without pre cut holes. Got one in black.

Which led me to Home Depot & their thinnest flexible carpet material. It was only $23.00 & I can do maybe 6 to 8 koups,

The backside of the carpet I spray painted grey as a sealer. Even though the carpet already has layers of some kind of adhesive/fabric joining medium.

I didn't do it for sound deadening. Plastics were already torn & getting worse (wear & tear), moisture/condensation on both sides, the brittleness of the shower curtains barriers & the under powered Rockford Fosgate speakers would cause the plastics to vibrate. Plastic bags over speakers, is why I've been driving for about 5 months without the Kenwood stereo. I took it out.

Hope this helps others or gives them better ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.