Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member and new Forte owner here. My only complaint about my car thus far is that the doors, all four of 'em, won't stay open unless you push them completely out. I'm not used to that.

What if you have get in the car while holding drinks or something and have a car parked beside you? That door is going to hit you in the ass while you get in. To me that's unacceptable engineering and they really ought to fix it.

Thoughts or suggestions to remedy the problem are welcomed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Were you parked on an incline ? Mine stays open as long as I am parked on a level ground. Only if the car is pointing up a slight hill does the door close by itself.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I did notice that. I wasn't sure if that was just normal but mine do the same thing and it def is annoying! Doesn't matter what incline I'm on, and like cgiles said, if you have drinks or something in your hands it kinda sucks when u have something close to that side.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
i notice it more with my passenger door when my friends are trying to get out with stuff in their hands. i figured its cause the koup door is pretty heavy and its hinges are still new, give them a year or 2 of use and decide. if you don't like it, they you lived with it for 2 years. hahahaha

·
Registered
536 Posts
No problem with mine...I was actually surprised I wasn't getting knocked back in the car by a automatically closing door, which btw is what all of my previous cars did. Not this one. Knock on wood!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
mine does the same up until it gets about half way open. anything after that and it stays open. im always getting my leg closed on when im getting out of the car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not parked on an incline, but that does make it incredibely annoying getting in/out of the car when I am. It's wierd to hear people saying that they don't have a problem with their cars doing this. I have it on all four doors. Only stays open if pushed all the way open; anything short of that and it will close on you. So, if you park next to someone plan on having the door hit you trying to get out.

I bought the car used, already has 37,000 miles on it, so I don't see it getting any better soon. It just bothers my fiancee and myself to no end, especially with a baby.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A redesigned or aftermarket door catch/stop would be nice. The common complaint is that we have to open the doors too far for the catch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My doors work like every other car door I've ever seen. It settles open at the half-way point and then again at full open.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Same with mine.. works fine :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have never had this problem. I just push it to the first stop and it stays there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kia Forte Door Stops

I have the 2013 Forte EX and the door Stops are 1) too long, and 2) the stops are not deep enough to hold the door at the end or intermediate point.

My doors open almost perpendicular to the car. Don't like that. I am 6 foot, and have to lean way out to close the door. Often I back up, and hit the brake to close the door. Not sure if the rear doors do that as well. If not, may look into getting rear door stops for the front doors. Or look at older models where folks say they don't have a problem.

The other thing I don't like is the ventilation system. No vents in the back seat, and constantly changing the settings (fan and temp) to stay at one temp. Nothing seems to stay constant.

Also, with the electric power steering, either putting miles on it, or adding accessories to the cigarette lighter seems to keep the alternator putting out enough current to keep the PS working. If you go straight, it was a fight to turn the wheel until I installed a GPS, FuzzBuster, phone chargers etc. Now it seems to be happier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doors not staying open

So is this a flaw in the design or just car to car? I hate mine as they always want to close even when the car it level. It is very annoying that they won't stay open especially when you are trying to get out of the car with items in hand

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
So is this a flaw in the design or just car to car? I hate mine as they always want to close even when the car it level. It is very annoying that they won't stay open especially when you are trying to get out of the car with items in hand
It's true that the door stops are not that strong. My doors (all 4) don't like to stay open if I am parked facing uphill.

I have the 2013 Forte EX and the door Stops are 1) too long, and 2) the stops are not deep enough to hold the door at the end or intermediate point.

My doors open almost perpendicular to the car. Don't like that. I am 6 foot, and have to lean way out to close the door. Often I back up, and hit the brake to close the door. Not sure if the rear doors do that as well. If not, may look into getting rear door stops for the front doors. Or look at older models where folks say they don't have a problem.

The other thing I don't like is the ventilation system. No vents in the back seat, and constantly changing the settings (fan and temp) to stay at one temp. Nothing seems to stay constant.

Also, with the electric power steering, either putting miles on it, or adding accessories to the cigarette lighter seems to keep the alternator putting out enough current to keep the PS working. If you go straight, it was a fight to turn the wheel until I installed a GPS, FuzzBuster, phone chargers etc. Now it seems to be happier.
ww4cash, the rear stops do work better, but (IMO) it is because the rear doors are a bit lighter than the front - not because the stops are different. I could be wrong, but I don't think changing the rod will help. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works out.

The vents for the rear passengers are located under the front seats. If you look under the front seats you'll see a rectangular tube come out of the floor and point back. That's where their air comes from.

Thanks for the note about the EPS. Some users have noted that the system acts strange. I'm curious to see how it compares to similar systems on other cars. I couldn't duplicate it because I have hydraulic power steering.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own a 2013 EX sedan and I've noticed that the first notch seems very weak/not deep enough. When it's opened all the way, it stays open even on a slight incline though. Not enough to bother me since I'm usually holding on to my door when I'm exiting the vehicle and I take advantage of the fact that it closes on it's own when I get in (automatic closing doors woohoo!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts