Kia Forte Forum banner

Down pipe vs. test pipe

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeremy B 
#1 ·
Can someone explaIn to me the difference between these two, and what they do. Possibly tell me which one I should buy for my new exhaust system, which one would benefit me more?
Thank you.

#2 ·
A down pipe usually refers to the flex pipe which is the piece that connects your exhaust manifold to your catalytic converter. A test pipe gets rid of your catalytic converter. Performance and sound wise the test pipe will have the greatest effect. The catalytic converter breaks down exhaust gasses to make them more environmentally friendly but creates a lot of restriction in the exhaust. A test pipe will give you a nice bump in power when combined with an aftermarket cat-back with bigger tubing, and will also make it much louder. There isn't a lot of power or sound to be had buy changing the down pipe/flex pipe alone. The issue with a test pipe is that if you have a federal emissions forte you will get a check engine light because the rear o2 sensor will detect the cat isn't working, if you have a California emissions forte you won't get a check engine light. The check engine light can be remedied a majority of the time with a spark plug defouler or mini cat on the rear o2 sensor. You will get an intermittent check engine light with the defouler during long highway drives but it will go off on its own. You can tell if you have federal or Cali emissions by looking at the sticker on the underside of your hood federal is ULEV and Cali is SULEV.

Reactions: CaptainShanks
#4 ·
The first link is Megan's down pipe + test pipe combo so you'll still have to deal with the check engine light. It won't fit if you have Cali emissions but it does fit the federal emissions forte. The exhaust is also fine but Megan's catback has been out of stock everywhere for over a year now. There are rumors they will be making more within the year but that's just speculation. I would bet redline doesn't actually have it in stock.

#10 ·
Correct on the cat delete portion but people use flex pipe and down pipe interchangeably so the portion that connects the header to the cat is the 'down pipe' in this case. He isn't turboed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.