Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. To make it clear, I'm not new at changing my own oil. I've had
other cars and been doing it for over 10 years with no problems.

Just did the 3rd oil change on my SX. And every time I get a very slow drip from the drain plug afterwards. Just enough to see a tiny spot on the driveway in the morning. So I thought I didn't torque the bolt enough. According to kiatechinfo.com/ torque for the drain plug should be 32.5lb. Last night I took out my snapon wrench and tightened it to spec. That didn't do the trick (and yes I used new washers I got from the dealer every time). So I crancked it up to 45lbs and that solved the problem...for now. But thats way too tight for a drain plug in my opinion.

Last thing I wanna do is strip the thread on the plug. Anyone have any suggestions? Kinda embarrassing having oil stains in the driveway considering the car is new.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try wrapping the threads in Teflon tape. Had the same problem on my Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just be sure to wrap the teflon tape against the head of the plug as the plugs stick out into the pan sometimes and the last thing you'd want is the tape falling off and entering the engine.

Also, are you certain the oil is coming from the plug? You could be leaking oil from another location.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine seems to do this also, i think its leaking from around the crush washer. If i come across a aftermarket oil plug with a rubber o-ring , that seems to be the best replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere about an aftermarket plug that put's a quick drain feature into it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry to hear that the plug is leaking. I agree that you shouldn't have to really crank on it to stop the leak. After ten years of working on your car, you know how tight it needs to be...

I'm thinking about using a copper washer instead of the Kia-supplied aluminum washer. A dealer for a different brand gave me copper washers some time ago, and they're the same dimensions as the Kia's. I guess I'll check on which metal is softer - aluminum or copper. Geek fun... :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Copper is softer

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lets be real here. I've been working on cars for 10+ years and I've never used a torque wrench on a drain plug. I've also never had an issue in those 10+ years.
Sorry I wasn't trying to be a jerk (but I guess it came out that way), I do get your point but if a dealership mechanic fixed the problem by clamping down harder on the plug to more than spec we would be all over that...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess if that's something you want to trouble yourself with.

Oh, and I wouldn't be worried about the plug at all. I'd be more worried about pulling the threads out of the pan. Given that our engine cradle was designed econo-box style, I guess that wouldn't be much of an issue either. :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry to hear that the plug is leaking. I agree that you shouldn't have to really crank on it to stop the leak. After ten years of working on your car, you know how tight it needs to be...

I'm thinking about using a copper washer instead of the Kia-supplied aluminum washer. A dealer for a different brand gave me copper washers some time ago, and they're the same dimensions as the Kia's. I guess I'll check on which metal is softer - aluminum or copper. Geek fun... :)
The crush washer is copper and should be replaced with each oil change according the KIA. Do I believe it needs to be or that you even need a crush washer? NO. I'd stick with the crush washers. A copper washer will get torn up and need replacement each time anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
^ That's the one I was talking about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why does that seem like the best idea and the worst idea in the world?

I could see your girlfriend getting pissed at you and like opening that valve every night when you're sleeping. How fucking pissed off would you be? :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for some reason i just can't trust that quick-drain valve.
but a copper washer and teflon tape seem like a good idea. the washers i got from kia were aluminum

thanx for the input everyone!

·
Registered
973 Posts
i bought a replacement plug from advance and it came with a little pik-a-nut washer, made of what might be rubber (lol, not sure)
saw a small leak there the next day, tightened it a little bit more and the problem has been solved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts