Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
600 miles after getting a new engine oil change from a dealer, I drained and replaced with new oil/filter at home. Despite of having the engine fully warmed up (20 min driving), SX 6sp felt so sluggish after the oil change. Usually the car feels smooth coming off the dealer's parking lot when the oil is changed, but I never felt that.

At first, I assumed the cold weather, winter mix fuel, or something else I could not identify was the cause, but I began to suspect the oil when the dealer could not tell me if the "bulk" oil they used was in fact 5w20 or other. This dealer could not tell me which brand of "bulk" oil they used either. Another Kia dealer where I purchased the car told me they use Kendall 5w20.

Anyway, the service manager kept saying the oil is not the cause of any potential problem and they felt the car sounded and drove in a normal manner. Rather than continue arguing, I bought Mobil 1 from Walmart and replace the oil.

Surprising fact was the drained oil was so heavy and thick. When it cooled to room temperature ( about 40 F, or 4.5 C in my garage), the cooled and dirty oil was so SLOW to spread down when I purposely dripped some on a sloped plastic surface and compared it to the new dyno 5w20 oil I keep around in the garage. I agree that the trapped dirt in the old oil may have contributed to the sluggishness but still,it moved so slow and it felt so HEAVY and THICK. My common sense tells me that 600 miles of mostly highway driving should not change the thickness so much. I don't plan to use this dealer anymore.

The air filter was still good.

Anyway, the car feels so much better now and accelerates quicker. The morning engine noise, when started from cold sounds less noisy ( but maybe it's all in my mind).

BTW, I used Rhino 8000 lb ramp to raise the front and slid under the car. It took 15 minutes or less to complete the change of oil, filter, and crush gasket.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
Sounds like either the technician made a mistake or they are using the wrong weight of oil! Owners usually know their cars best...glad you took care of the problem -- if you saved some of the oil, I'd take it back and let the dealer GM know the situation. You don't have your location listed...if this is way up north it would be bad situation to have that thick of oil in an engine in sub-freezing temperatures!!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
one of thousands of reasons I do my own maintenance
dealer here said they use whatever oil is lying around, which I'm thinking is probably 10w30 non synth, as people around here seem to think 10w30 is universal

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would just keep doing the oil changes myself, if I were you. THat way you know it's done right (unless you screw it up :eek: ) Keep all receipts for oil and filters for warrenty purposes.

I've been doing my own for about 35 years now. I take the drain plug out and release most of the oil until it trickles. Then I put the plug back in and go in the house and eat lunch. That gives the oil filter a chance to cool down. After lunch I pull the plug out again and you would be surprised how much more oil comes out.

I always use synthetic in the winter because it flows better and in case it's so cold I don't want to do a change, I don't have to worry about extending the change interval.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.