Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Koup SX 2.4L, 6Speed manual Koup and the spring in the drivers side door window switch (for the drivers window) is broken. While the window still works if I release the switch to quickly it drops down to the auto-down position so its kind of a pain remembering to release it slowly when pulling it up to close the window. I found the right part online, but was wondering if I can remove the black panel over the switch in the door armrest (where the switches are) without pulling the whole door panel off. There is a screw in the bottom of the handle well that is part of the black plastic panel that seems to be separate from the rest of the door handle/panel so I hoping I could pop that out by itself. Can't find any videos specific to the koup for this switch replacement, just ones for the 4 and 5 door Forte's.
Thanks
RM

·
Super Moderator
231 Posts
Haven't done it on my Koup, but normally you need access to the backside to pop the clips. You can try prying it and see what happens, I was able to do that on my Tiburon. Taking the door panel off isn't too painful.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have a 2011 Koup SX 2.4L, 6Speed manual Koup and the spring in the drivers side door window switch (for the drivers window) is broken. While the window still works if I release the switch to quickly it drops down to the auto-down position so its kind of a pain remembering to release it slowly when pulling it up to close the window. I found the right part online, but was wondering if I can remove the black panel over the switch in the door armrest (where the switches are) without pulling the whole door panel off. There is a screw in the bottom of the handle well that is part of the black plastic panel that seems to be separate from the rest of the door handle/panel so I hoping I could pop that out by itself. Can't find any videos specific to the koup for this switch replacement, just ones for the 4 and 5 door Forte's.
Thanks
RM
I have a 2013 Koup that had that EXACT same problem about a month or 2 ago. I took it to a automated car wash one day and the attendant pulled up on the switch to make sure the window was up. Well, he pulled the switch up and closed the door. The switch fell down and the window went down. Fortunately I was watching this through the glass window and yelled for them the shut down the car wash before the car was flooded with soap and water.

About the door panel, no, you can't remove the switches without removing the entire door panel. The switch panel is screwed to the door panel from behind. The door panel is removed basically the same way as a sedan/hatchback door panel with a couple extra screws behind the door pull handle. You have to pry off the cover of the door pull handle to access the screws.

Reactions: Acura_Kal

·
Registered
2 Posts
This must be the same part # (switch) for several year models. My 2010 kia forte has the same problem. If i dont gently release the switch after rolling window up, it falls back to auto down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Posting to say that I have the exact same problem that just happened to my 2012. Same exact thing.

I did some searching and it looks like the part is almost 200 bucks. Dealer wants 300 total for the repair. I think I may have them do it after seeing all of these screws and plastic panels. Thanks for posting these pics!

·
Super Moderator
231 Posts
All you have to do is remove the panel and disconnect the switch and swap it out. You could probably get one at a junkyard for like $25. The pictures above show dissembling the panel as well, which is not needed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If it's just the entire interior door panels it's very easy. A couple of screws, removal of the lock & unlock door handle cables (1 black, 1 grey/white) & the plastic panel clips that hold the panel onto the door itself.

The ones in pink are when I removed the door trim to paint it titanium silver metallic.

Like Acura_Kal said. You can find a nice interior door panels at a junk/salvage yard.

Let us know with pics how it went?

Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts