Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am new here. I have had my Forte Koup SX for about a week. My last car was a 1989 Mercedes. In my last car, if you forgot to disengage the parking brake, the car would not move out all, it was very strong to say the least. Anyways, I drove to the grocery store today, about a 5 mile drive there and back and when I got home, I realized I left the parking brake on. I usually have it about 4 to 5 clicks up (about 2/3rds of the way up). The strange thing is the car felt pretty normal, acceleration and braking. So basically, it was 5 miles or so with speeds up to 60mph with the parking brake at 50-60% strength. Needless to say, I could have made a 5 course meal on the rotors, it took an hour and a half to cool them off. Such a noob mistake, I know. Do you think I have damaged the rotors? After doing some reading I learned that such a mistake can warp the rotors, cause brake fade and takes months off the pads. Should I get them checked? Since them, the brakes seem to work fine but I always worry about stuff. I love the car btw, it may be the best purchase I have ever made :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
call the dealer and tell them you have a break pulsation at high way speeds they sould warrenty it. they do not know that you drove with the e-brake on , they only know it they read this !!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Time will tell if you caused any damage. You'll know when you brake -- if you start feeling a pulsation in your brake pedal you'll know it then. It's good that you let them cool...hope you didn't drive through any water puddles while they were hot. If it will make you feel any better...some vehicles require you to "burnish" new brake pads and rotors by making several hard stops from 35-40 MPH -- hot enough to make them smoke and burn paint off of them. I've done that and haven't had a rotor go bad yet...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Again, the rotors are like a week old. The car has 500 miles on it. No shutter when I brake so I don't think they are warped, I probably just reduced the pads life by a couple of months. I just want to fix anything that may be worn since the car is brand new.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Lol I thought it was just me.. I made the same mistake for about 200 feet came to the light looked over and went Ohh Shit how the heck?
never noticed the car even seem slow, no trouble here either seems I have to click a few more clicks when I need to use the e brake but yeah I learned my leason lol
I'm thinking it will be fine 4 you too, and as somebody said if your rotor gets warped you'll know it, it would shudder and or get bumpy on the brakes so should be fine cause you would have felt that already if it had happened

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but didn't you notice the red light on the dash?

If you warped a rotor, you would know by now.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but didn't you notice the red light on the dash?

If you warped a rotor, you would know by now.
yeah when I had time at the light to look around..
I mean It was sunny out so its not like bling bling look at me.:D at night I'd see it right away..

anyway I've owned a lot of cars.. and I've never had a car that would even let you drive with the e brake on or if you tired you'd feel the car not want to move.. in my case can't speak for everybody else the koup did not even seem to be like the brake was on and come on I only went like 200 feet..

about my quote
hey I was talking to the guy who was asking/afraid about maybe having warped rotors.. as having a nissan once with a rotor that warped I was just saying he'd already know if it was warped due to his e brake boo boo

oh lol and remember I'm human and you are too I'm sure you'll make a mistake sometime too.:p

·
Registered
973 Posts
yeah when I had time at the light to look around..
I mean It was sunny out so its not like bling bling look at me.:D at night I'd see it right away..

anyway I've owned a lot of cars.. and I've never had a car that would even let you drive with the e brake on or if you tired you'd feel the car not want to move.. in my case can't speak for everybody else the koup did not even seem to be like the brake was on and come on I only went like 200 feet..

about my quote
hey I was talking to the guy who was asking/afraid about maybe having warped rotors.. as having a nissan once with a rotor that warped I was just saying he'd already know if it was warped due to his e brake boo boo

oh lol and remember I'm human and you are too I'm sure you'll make a mistake sometime too.:p
my sedan will definitely barely even move with e brake on
so thats weird

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.