Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the first day I had my SX Sedan I wanted to install dual exhaust, not so much for performance but because I like symmetry, and the single exhaust on the SX just didn't do it for me.
After a lot of investigation and net surfing, it looked like the only options available were for the 1.6l and other Fortes overseas that had a different emissions control set up that didn't block the space in front of the spare wire well.
Nordic Wagon (among others) has done dual exhaust set up on his Koup using an unbalanced system so I used him as the inspiration for my system. (thanks again for your help NordicWagon).

Here are some details on my exhaust install.

It's a DynaMax muffler for a new Camaro which has an inlet/outlet on one end and just an outlet on the other and custom made piping and stainless steel tips from Solo Performance (T601-1L8 & T601-1R8).

Looking through the pictures you can see the installation process as well as the modifications I made to the diffuser. As you can see from the first picture, this is an SX model, I ordered in a diffuser for an EX and then used painters tape and a piece of cardboard to layout the cuts I wanted to make for the new tips. I cut the holes lower to start with and after the install I re-cut them to the size and shape I wanted and added the door trim to finish the opening. Then the shop did a final alignment of the tips for me.

Cost ('cause I know you're gonna ask, lol!):
Door Edge Guard $5 CAN. Canadian Tire
Diffuser $60 US. from eBay (Automotive APro)
Tips $150 CAN. delivered, from Solo Performance, Mississauga, Ontario.
Muffler, supplies and install $525 CAN. Jerry's Mufflers, Kelowna.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
How does it sound, feel, run?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Oh, and it LOOKS SWEET!

·
Registered
453 Posts
bad ass...... had the same idea. looks good :D:D

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
As much as you love symmetry, I dunno how you can stand that muffler! One pipe is free flowing, and the other is being muffled. I bet from outside this makes a noticeable sound difference.

Edit: Nvm about the sound thing, saw the last pic, but still it bothers me how its not symmetrical =(

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as you love symmetry, I dunno how you can stand that muffler! One pipe is free flowing, and the other is being muffled. I bet from outside this makes a noticeable sound difference.

Edit: Nvm about the sound thing, saw the last pic, but still it bothers me how its not symmetrical =(
Ah.. but visually it is symmetrical and that's what i was going for.:D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Nice BigE! I have the dual exhaust on my koup SX and LOVE it!!! Nice job!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey BigE! I was wondering when you were gonna say something about it! It sounds great in the clip. I never did hear it in person. Lol. Very nicely done!

Deuce

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks great, i'm not much into the custom work, so if I get something like that done, i'm going to have to wait until something premade comes out for it, cause I would like for it to make a bit of difference in the power as well if i were to get it!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
very nice BigE!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Very Nice and a job well done...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looks awesome, I think exhausts are the best bang for the buck mod. This one is I interesting because of the design but it sounds good. Remember exhausts mods take a while to settle. The metal needs to break in which can take a few weeks. Also fatter exhausts always sound buzzy after you start the car until it has a chance to warm up.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks good BigE.

Are you still going to be in Richmond in June? We should get together if you are.
Yep, sure am!

How about Tuesday, June 7th at 7:00 in the evening as this would be in between games 3 and 4 so no one has to miss a game?

I figured the Tim Hortons at same location (Ironwood Plaza) we met last time and we can post this and see if we get a few others to join us for coffee or if you want to meet for Dinner is good too.

Let me know what you think and I'll post it for the other local members?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Big E well done as always. Did you just have them trim you stock diffuser or did you have to purchase a different one. I know the SX has the space for the singal exhaust but it also has that little raised rounded section. I just wondered how much they had to cut. Looks amazing. . .

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
nice work. really looks sweet!

Did you sedan have anything behind the bumper on the drivers side that you had to relocate? I was looking at doing this to my 5-door, but a quick look under kinda killed my plans since that entire area is filled with something to do with the fuel tank or emissions??

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It looks sweet, but the video needs better sound. I love the look and it adds to the presence of the sedan, I want duals for my Koup!! Need sound AND power!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big E well done as always. Did you just have them trim you stock diffuser or did you have to purchase a different one. I know the SX has the space for the singal exhaust but it also has that little raised rounded section. I just wondered how much they had to cut. Looks amazing. . .
I ended up getting a diffuser for the EX from Automotive APro on eBay (approx. $55) which is smooth with no openings, that way I could do them the way I wanted. I actually cut it myself before I took the car to the muffler shop and they just swapped the 2. The diffuser is only held on with 4 plastic retainers, 2 screws and clips in around the edge, you can remove it in under 5 minutes.
If you look at picture number 5, you can see the right opening is slightly slanted. After the install, I took the car home, removed the diffuser, trimmed the holes a little bigger and straighter, added the trim and the had the shop line up the tips with the new openings. They purposely left the tips low until I had the openings perfect.

nice work. really looks sweet!

Did you sedan have anything behind the bumper on the drivers side that you had to relocate? I was looking at doing this to my 5-door, but a quick look under kinda killed my plans since that entire area is filled with something to do with the fuel tank or emissions??
There was nothing I had to trim or relocate to do this, but I measured carefully and cut the openings low and smaller than the finished locations to make sure that nothing interfered with the exhaust. The metal frame is slightly different left to right since it was never designed for this.

Below is a picture of the Koup, in front of the spare tire well is an emissions control module that interferes with any of the aftermarket dual exhaust systems available. This is why myself and others have gone with the unbalanced system just because it's the easiest solution at the moment.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4135/exh5protoopt.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts