Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well have at it.... I'm look for suggestions on a head unit. I'm looking for touchscreen, Bluetooth, iPod, and navigation.

Hit me up with your suggestions. Cost... Under $1000

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a Pioneer Premier AVIC F - Series navi in my last car. It was super nice! It has all the gadgets: Bluetooth, hard drive Navi, full iPod Interface, DVD player, etc... Kind of a complicated interface, but amazing once I got the hang of it. The best part about it was it was window's based so you could rewrite the software to "mod" the entire system. There is a HUGE community that gives you step by step DIY tutorials. The community forum is www.avic411.com Very helpful community. But again, that's if you decide to go with a Pioneer.

What it boils down to is I would go with something that doesn't have moving parts (ie. motorized faceplate) and something that uses a hard drive to store the navigation maps. The ones that use CD or SD cards tend to be really slow.

And one more thing....once you decide on a navi. unit, don't buy from crutchfield. they are wayyyyyyy over priced. I bought mine from a website www.sonicelectronix.com. They have much better prices, and offer all the warrenty and tech. support that crutchfield does.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Might I ask how you are planning to install this? It seems our current interior setup wouldn't allow a double DIN receiver.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
well- if you want sirus/xm/HD radio- most of those all in one units w/the touch screens that i've come across- require an additional add on- also- if you want the steering wheel controls to work- same thing....

rearview camera....

i know a lot mention that they have bluetooth-but i havent found clear indications if the bluetooth microphone is built in or can use the kia built in microphone.....

and of course - you gotta find a fascia that matches the head unit size- i've seen 3 different sized openings available on different facias so far....

all done and said- yup- putting together a really sweet system is gonna be a fun job :)

i've even come across a an addon that plugs into the diagnostic port and runs to the headunit- lets you set up your own engine display gauges- and also has an event recorder to replay your track runs and what nots....

oh yeah- jumping back to the GPS ones- you gotta look at the anntena that is supplied--- some are really goofy/big looking- same thing if you are looking to rec'v over the air broadcast tv-- one i came across had a cube like 2 inches square- with a 6 in whip antenna attached...

another neat feature i found on one- it came w/the backup sonar sensors in addition to the rearview camera....

lol- now that i think about it---
i think we need to create a spread sheet with weblinks/brand/model/features so that comparisons could be made.....

well - like bbsoup32 said- pioneer does have a few things going for it- a huge DYI community- and the programable OS--- after all- wouldnt it be nice to change out the colors and schemes and remove icons for features you dont have or use?

i am looking forward to the first north american manual a/c koup w/a full indash set up w/touch screen and programable OS that has reverse camera,sirius or xm,HD radio, broadcast tv, steering wheel controls retained, and koups bluetooth microphone useable :) (i prob left out a few features - lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.