Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After D113's demonstration on the merits of sound deadening, I decide that this is something i want to do. (although not to D113's extreme. lol!)

So I started pricing out different makes of materials and put together a price comparison.

REMEMBER, this is only based on price, not quality! I'm leaving it up to you to research and decide which product you choose. These prices are based on posted prices on the web (with the exception of Visions.ca, their list was actually $370 for 36 sq ft of Dynamat Xtreme but they offered to reduce it to $300 :eek:).

Remember to also check on shipping costs. If you are in Canada, look closely at Canadian suppliers, their shipping costs should be lower and there will be no duty or brokerage fees. (brokerage fees can be outrageous, avoid UPS if posible)

D113 has recommended the RAAMmat BXT from Raamaudio (as well as their ensolite foam) and the B-Quiet Ultimate instead of Dynamat in the past.

I leave it up to you to decide what you will get...me, I still haven't decided, but I will look into the 2 that D113 has recommended and compare shipping costs.

With the Canadian & US dollars so close right now, the material cost are virtually the same, shipping, brokerage and duty fees are going to make the biggest difference.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
You should definitely google some of the other products with search modifiers like 'smell' or 'melt'.

Raamat will not sell bxt into Canada as they already have a seller in London Ontario, you can however but bxtII from them though. I did some bulk pricing checks on bquiet, and the shipping appears to go way down with quantity.

I would steer clear of fatmat unless you go with rattletrap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ohh great.... I used FATMAT....

Like D113 said not the best product but affordable, I did double up on some areas and it seems to have helped out. However, I have very little experience with anything else but dynamat, so to compare, Fatmat is thinner, and has a more "tar-ish" smell.

·
Registered
708 Posts
the tarish smell cuz from the asphalt base and from what i understand butyl based deadeners will perform better in all ways though slightly more expensive

that being said there are cheaper butyl based deadeners that work better then dynamat.. dynamat is a household name so they feel lthey can charge out the ass for it

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks D113/elecblue06, I've been researching the asphalt vs. butyl and the only reason I can see for the asphalt is to keep the price down.

From my research, that leaves these as the best choices, Dynamat Xtreme, RAAMmat BXT, B-Quite Ultimate or Secondskin Damplifier.

D113, you said there is a supplier in London Ont. for the RAAMmat BXT, can you give us some contact info? I can find nothing on the web.

For RAAMmat BXT, a quick check on the RAAMaudio site lists 62.5 sq ft for $120 + $50 shipping (not including duties and brokerage fees). $2.72 per sq ft. Brokerage fees can easily be $40 or more, that makes it $3.36 sq ft.

They also list their BXTII in 37.5 sq ft lot for $100 plus $44 shipping. $3.84 per sq ft. With approximate Brokerage fees $4.90 sq ft.

B-Quiet lists 50 sq ft of their B-Quiet Ultimate for $137 + $20 shipping within Canada (this in in Canadian funds, all others in US). $3.14per sq ft. (100 sq ft is $252 + $30 or $2.82 sq ft)

I found a dealer in BC who carries the Secondskin Damplifier Pro for $190 for 36 sq ft. $5.28 per sq ft.

The best price I found in Canada for Dynamat Xtreme is from B-Quiet, 36 sq ft for $250 +$15 shipping, $7.36 per sq ft.

Unless the RAAMmat dealer in Ontario can come up with a decent price I will probably go with the B-Quiet Ultimate. There will only be the 5% GST on top of this price as well.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Contact Rick at Raamaudio for Dave's contact info, I seem to have lost it. If I remember correctly though he was going to sell me 3 rolls for $200 each shipped cash only. He doesn't accept paypal or credit card. Very strange guy. Bquiets prices on the website go down when you get above $450 in your order, and then you can add the coupon code CCa to get another 10 percent off before taxes and shipping. I haven't called them direct to confirm shipping but I put in 6 rolls (3 cars at 100 sqft ea) and shipping went down to about 80 total if I remember correctly.

The BXTII is the only thing shippablw from raam USA but shipping is killer, and brokerage is a blanket charge of around 50. The 3 rolls I got in had shipping of around 100. Luckily ups screwed up and we got the shipping cut down and the brokerage halved. I can't say however what my price was as it was a one time price due to a warranty issue I had with used product I bought of a local guy that was determined to be part of a bad batch. I had to rip it all out once te new stuff came in.

Ashphalt stuff (fatmat) is terrible. It seeps toxic gas, fails and melts over time and doesn't stick at all in vertical usage. You really get what you pay for. Ashphalt based stuff Was originally made for roofing applications, and them repackaged for car audio. It's deadening performance is terrible compared to butyl, and the ashphalt based stuff is rumoured to be outlawed in Canada now. (Loews and homedepot are not allowed to sell it in Canada)

you can't go wrong with dynamat , bquiet ultimate, damplifier, hushmat, and raammat.

BxtII is so good, you don't even need full coverage to stop rattles and hums. The only advantage of full coverage is complete isolation from road noise, and sealing of the doors to create an enclosure.

The problem with fully deadening a trunk and subwoofers is the perception that the subs aren't as powerful because your car rattles less =)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I have ordered 2 rolls (100 sq ft) of B-Quiet Ultimate, from B-Quiet in Lethbridge Alberta.

Since it's just me here in Kelowna, trying to get together a larger group buy is difficult.:rolleyes:

The total cost, including using the coupon code "CAA" broke down like this:
All in Canadian Funds
2 rolls @ $125.99 ___$251.98 (12" x 50' ea.)
Coupon Discount ___- $25.20
Sub Total _________$226.78
Shipping UPS Gnd ____$29.99 (3-8 days ground within Canada)
GST 5% ____________$12.84
Total ______________$269.61 or $2.70 per sq ft.
No Duties, no Brokerage Fees, no Surprises.

Judging by my research, this is a very good product and the least expensive to purchase and have shipped within Canada if you're looking for smaller quantities (100 sq ft and less). Orders over $400 get an additional 5% off which offsets the GST.

Now I just have to install it all. :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
i like b-quiet and second skin.. seem to be best bang for the buck

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Have fun BigE! I would totally encourage the ensolite peel and stick too since you'd apply it right after that mat! Since our cars are full of plastic, the ensolite helps in the decoupling of trim from the metal or matting. Remember, matting is metal too, so plastic trim against metal can squeak and rattle too!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Forgot to say, 6 yards of ensolite is all you'd need, mention Darryl from Toronto sent you and you only need do it in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yum! toxic gas!.....

Looks like I got another project now, removing 10ftx2 of FatMat and replacing it with another product!
According to FatMat, while their product does give off an smell, the asphalt they use is not the same as the roofing maretial some use. Check out their website and/or google it.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to say, 6 yards of ensolite is all you'd need, mention Darryl from Toronto sent you and you only need do it in the cabin.
Yep, that was my next thought, Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used FatMat RattleTrap in my old Protege. It really smelled for a few weeks and then it was not noticeable. But, when it smells, it really smells! That stuff was so sticky that if I did not remove it from unwanted areas right away, it was stuck for good without a scraper. I think I still have some on the garage floor...hehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts