Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out this morning to do a spectre ram air kit mod, only to be frustrated by my lack of planning...I bought a few wrong parts. I was putting the stock pieces back together so I could drive back to the store, and decided to use the cone filter in place of the factory one...sounds great, better throttle response. Certainly could work long term if I wanted it to!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
is there any way you could post what it sounds like?

I've been reading into CAI mods for a little while now and my major concern is with hydrolock. I'm not too concerned with performance as much as I am with a bit ballsier sound.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
did you even have to cut the tube? or did it just fit right on the end?

·
Registered
645 Posts
his mod is very good ,i tought of doing this,you will gain a few HPs with this mod and you can keep it for the winter time,the other kits goes to low and are exposed to the elements,especialy for northern states and Canada.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did the same thing to my brother's car. If you get a filter with a 3 inch opening, it will fit right on over the stock piping.

And it was a super hot day, and after a long spirited drive my first thing was to pop the hood and grab the ECU's heatsink expecting to fry my hand. But it was super cool to the touch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there any way you could post what it sounds like?

I've been reading into CAI mods for a little while now and my major concern is with hydrolock. I'm not too concerned with performance as much as I am with a bit ballsier sound.
All I had to do for the original mod was take the top of the box off, remove the cooler, then slide the clamp off the end of the stock hose and slip the cone filter on. No cutting, etc. required. It's the simplest approach for sure.

I ended up doing the SRI with spectre parts...about $40 total. I live in Tucson, and the monsoons scare me when it comes to CAI. I figured the short ram was the way to go.

The new spectre ram kit i put in is actually a bit quieter than when i just had the cone on the factory hoses.

The cool thing about this is you can try it in 5 mins for the price of a cone filter (about $20 where I live).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a cone filter laying around so I gave it a try.
This is most definitely one of the best free mods I have ever done.
I'm sure the CAI I plan to get will be much better though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I tried this out today with a K&N filter 3 inch filter. The sound is fantastic, however I couldn't get a proper fit. The stock house has those 2 nubs that stick out, so when I would try to tighten the K&N filter, one of the sides with the nubs would fold inward so I could never get a proper fit. It's a shame because it sounds awesome. If I could find a filter that fits inside the stock tube so I can use the stock tightener it'd be perfect.

EDIT: And Jimminy what parts did you purchase to do your mod?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
his mod is very good ,i tought of doing this,you will gain a few HPs with this mod and you can keep it for the winter time,the other kits goes to low and are exposed to the elements,especialy for northern states and Canada.
My TK kit isn't exposed to the elements. It is sitting behind the fog lamp. I haven't run into any weather yet that causes distress in regards to the CAI. I live in Canada and I have ran through large puddles that causes the water to splash onto the windshield of my car and others. Even if I was snow plowing with my car the snow wouldn't reach that area.

One of those jeeps with the snorkel attached to it might be a better ride for those kinds of super wet conditions. Don't forget the wetsuit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just put on this cone filter. It really sounds amazing! I want to know is it safe for the ecu? I touched it after driving for quite awhile and it was kind of hot. I wouldn't know if it usual because I never had a reason to check it before. My set up is just like the pics from the first post so I don't think I'm missing anything.
I set out this morning to do a spectre ram air kit mod, only to be frustrated by my lack of planning...I bought a few wrong parts. I was putting the stock pieces back together so I could drive back to the store, and decided to use the cone filter in place of the factory one...sounds great, better throttle response. Certainly could work long term if I wanted it to!

Also, did you notice any difference in performance with the SRI from when you only had the cone filter?
Here are pics of the current setup with SRI made up of Spectre parts.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ignite- are you using the Spectre filter too? and are you having any problems with it staying in place? Like a said with the K&N I couldn't properly secure it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just keep twisting it on till it touches the first ripple. Easier if the rubber is warm.
The rubber at the start of the opening is smaller then further in.

It fit so tight but I clamped it anyway, just snugg.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes I'm using the exact Spectre cone filter. I know exactly what you're talking about with those two little nubs, but mines went in fairly easy after I gradually pushed and twist it. Do you have the 3 inch filter?
Ignite- are you using the Spectre filter too? and are you having any problems with it staying in place? Like a said with the K&N I couldn't properly secure it.
Hey ForteLX+, do you know if this setup is safe for the ecu, or should we completely remove the box? Any help will be appreciative.

·
Registered
24 Posts
great idea! gonna try it when i get my car out of the shop tomorrow.. then it's time for my rebadging project (broken K's front n back, and Cerato & SLi emblems to replace Forte & SX)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used your idea...

jimminyjamez, I saw this thread earlier today and got excited at how easy and safe this looked.

Went to an Advanced Auto and told the guy what I wanted to do. At first I had just a specter air filter on, but it looked kind of flimsy. So I used some 3'' aluminum piping with the same filter and got a killer sound and better throttle response!

Many thanks to making this thread, I hope this post can help others as well!

Here's some pics... more to follow when it's day time :p

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes I'm using the exact Spectre cone filter. I know exactly what you're talking about with those two little nubs, but mines went in fairly easy after I gradually pushed and twist it. Do you have the 3 inch filter?

Hey ForteLX+, do you know if this setup is safe for the ecu, or should we completely remove the box? Any help will be appreciative.
Its 24 degrees celsius right now. Ill go for a drive and let you know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nepaforte: Awesome!!! What parts did you use?

I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the orginal mod and the Spectre SRI other than the fact the Spectre was quieter (and further away from the driver's seat).

I am considering just reverting back to the original mod.

I am sure the turbokit CAI is awesome, In fact, I am hoping to get it along with the catback as soon as the budget allows. In the meantime, this is effective, easy, and cheap.

All I used for the Spectre SRI is the filter, a 90 degree tube, a 3" to 2" reducer, their vacuum adapter kit, and some vacuum tubing. Aprox $40 all together, including the $20 filter. The 90 degree tube was a tough fit, but it works. Maybe a 60 degree would be better, I don't know. Here are some pics of parts I used for the Spectre install.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 169 Posts