Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 2.4L SX and I want to know the best way to increase fuel economy? I've done a few searches which have resulted in me using a premium fuel (93 octane; highest octane here) which in fact yielded about 2 more MPG. I usually get about 19 MPG on regular fuel (probably due to my intake and Magnaflow muffler) but with the premium fuel I've seen as high as 21 MPG. It's about 22 city anyway, so I'm not really crying I guess, but I don't want to 'have' to use premium fuel to achieve this, per se... Is there anything else I can do that's cheap/easy? Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
First, you are going to spend more money on premium fuel as your engine won't really make use of the higher octane and higher octane actually produces less power if your engine is not designed for it. You are simply wasting _more_ money for a very small gain (as the gas cost _much_ more). I also doubt you were getting better MPG but you'd need to get somewhere around 15-20 MPG more to break even. You may want to read up on what octane is. Esp. if you think it will increase MPG in your car.

Here is my recommendation which is a hands down winner... don't press as hard on the go peddle. Want to know how much that costs? It's FREE!!!!!! No magic involved, no money to spend. Keep your revs around 2000 while driving.

Other then that feel free to buy a Tornado... a throttle spacer, etc on your engine. The commercials can't be wrong when they say these things will increase your MPG 100,000,000x!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Exactly as tcope said. Premium fuel will yield absolutely no increase in fuel economy. Our engines are designed to run efficiently on regular fuel. All you are doing is wasting money. Please read up on octane and really what it does. In short, it's to keep fuel from igniting too early damaging cylinder walls and to reduce the knock and detonation associated with it. None of which effect the Forte.

The difference you see in the 1-2mpg gain is probably you keeping an eye on how you use the throttle. A 1-2 mpg gain could be any of a million variables. Ambient temp, up/downhill rides, less stop and go, etc. You are just wasting money.

I also agree with the only real way to gain fuel economy is to stay light on the throttle. Other than that you could always hit the gym and lose some weight or drop some weight off the car by removing stuff. Then again that will only gain you a little bit.

Actually, if you can find a gas station selling fuel with no ethanol you will also gain a good bit of fuel economy as the fuel burns more efficiently.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The number one, proven fool proof way to absolutely increase your fuel mileage, and I guarantee you will see results, is to... Wait for it... Go easy with the throttle! The theta ii engine can get great mileage if you use the throttle very lightly. But at the same time it can get horrible mileage if you push it a lot. I noticed this when I modified the intake. 18mpg on that tank o_O

You can also try ethanol free gasoline, mentioned.
Fuel additives are snake oil.
Lightweight flywheel will help, as well as improve throttle response and shifting.
High flow cat and a tune will increase mileage.
If you're an engineer like me you could try HHO injection. Good for 2 or 3 mpgs.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I thought that the "stock sri" would increase mpg, but it only seemed to do so if I was only doing highway travel. Since you are doing a lot of city, that actually will hurt as I have realized. I was getting about 26-27 mpg before but after being careful with the throttle, I have been around or above 31mpg (including half my distance driven on the highway and half in heavy traffic. Of course, I do not live near any of those gas stations haha.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really don't go hard on the throttle, actually. That's one thing I already do. What exactly is HHO injection?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think anyone would fall for the +15 MPG gimmick. I don't know how someone could actually be that dumb. No, seriously.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
TBH, i'm with other members, i usually get 19-22 mpg, but with cruise control, i can get 34 mpg. so, try to use cruise control as much as you can

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow dont know what I'm doing differentI sit around 29-31 mpg. I barely do highway "only about 5 miles a day" I dont baby the accelerator, and I do alot of hills since im in NE PA.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Wow dont know what I'm doing differentI sit around 29-31 mpg. I barely do highway "only about 5 miles a day" I dont baby the accelerator, and I do alot of hills since im in NE PA.
On the 2.0 or 2.4? The 2.4 is thirstier.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I really don't go hard on the throttle, actually. That's one thing I already do. What exactly is HHO injection?
HHO, or hydroxy gas, or Brown's gas, is two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen.
It is generated using an electrolyser which splits water molecules into Hydrogen and Oxygen gas. It does this with two stainless steel plates submerged in a water based electrolyte solution. Current is passed through the solution using the plates, and the current splits the water molecules. The electrolyte helps the current flow through the water.

The resulting gas is fed through a bubbler to avoid a backfire, which would blow up the generator. It is then fed into the intake in whichever manner the user sees fit.
The HHO gas burns very efficiently and fairly hot. Less gasoline is therefor needed for the same power.
The current draw on the alternator is smaller than the extra power you get, so it's an effective means to increase mileage. You will notice the increase.
It's a proven method, but it really should be left to the engineers or scientists since it can take some experimentation. And you have to know what you're doing.

There is a plethora of information on this topic, just Google it. You can even buy kits pre-made, all you have to do is install it.

If you want to try this, take a shallow cup or saucer, put a little bit of water in there, and stir in a bit of salt.
Take a 9V battery, attach a paper clip to each lead, and submerge the clips in the salt water. You will see bubbles form on the paper clips. The one with more bubbles is the Hydrogen. (cathode, negative)

·
Registered
107 Posts
When i bought my car i was getting 13.1L/100km (17-19 us mpg) now with 14,000 km's im getting 9L/100km (26 us mpg) city
Seems like the more the engine is broken in, the better it gets

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Check your filter every 10k... I went from 29hwy to 33hwy just by changing a dirty air filter....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Premium fuel will yield absolutely no increase in fuel economy. Our engines are designed to run efficiently on regular fuel. All you are doing is wasting money. Please read up on octane and really what it does. In short, it's to keep fuel from igniting too early damaging cylinder walls and to reduce the knock and detonation associated with it. None of which effect the Forte.

Actually, if you can find a gas station selling fuel with no ethanol you will also gain a good bit of fuel economy as the fuel burns more efficiently.
I filled up today and for the first time I noticed the fine print on the pump.

Regular 87 - may contain up to 10% ethanol
Plus 89 - may contain up to 5% ethanol
Premium 91 - does not contain ethanol

So for some people buying premium gas might be yielding better mileage based on ethanol content, not the octane rating.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

So for some people buying premium gas might be yielding better mileage based on ethanol content, not the octane rating.
Maybe. More than likely that's not very common. Plus the higher price will negate any MPG increase.

·
Registered
218 Posts

That's interesting. I can't say I have seen that before. As stated, the price differential would negate the increased fuel mileage. It had been my impression one of the selling points of ethanol is that it increased octane.

I would be curious to try pure gasoline but there aren't any stations near where I live.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts