Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- trying to think of some general bolt-ons for my 21, have a sxth hot pipe replacement on the way. Steering away from getting rid of the stock airbox/filter as I'd prefer to keep the better filtration of the paper style filters.

Question is, I was thinking about upgrading the front brakes to EBC. However I can only find full front/rear kits for the GT right now from EBC for over $400. I want to buy the discs and pads separately just for the front to decrease cost. It's a DD, I don't plan on tracking it so I'm mostly looking for the QoL upgrade with better front brakes from EBC. Problem is I cannot find the right discs, the Elantra Sport appears to use 11" front rotors instead of 12, so I'm having a hard time finding the right ones. Does anyone know what model pads/rotors I need for the fronts?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
Hey everyone- trying to think of some general bolt-ons for my 21, have a sxth hot pipe replacement on the way. Steering away from getting rid of the stock airbox/filter as I'd prefer to keep the better filtration of the paper style filters.

Question is, I was thinking about upgrading the front brakes to EBC. However I can only find full front/rear kits for the GT right now from EBC for over $400. I want to buy the discs and pads separately just for the front to decrease cost. It's a DD, I don't plan on tracking it so I'm mostly looking for the QoL upgrade with better front brakes from EBC. Problem is I cannot find the right discs, the Elantra Sport appears to use 11" front rotors instead of 12, so I'm having a hard time finding the right ones. Does anyone know what model pads/rotors I need for the fronts?

Thanks in advance.
Check out my post here for mods. Just posted front and break kits site. Make sure to click on eline to get option to click on front and rears.

Registered
I'm thinking of doing some brake upgrades too. The stock brakes on the LX Sedan are pretty weak. I was driving at about 90k/hr one night and came upon a porcupine in the middle of the road and didn't think I was going to stop in time. I think the brakes a undersized for this size of car; not that it's a big car.

Registered
Looks like the GT doesn't use drum brakes for the emergency brakes! That will make it a little cheaper to replace the rotors!

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did look at the R1 Concepts one, but I can't find information on where specifically they are made- the EBC stuff I know will most likely be made in the UK, or possibly the US. If I'm spending the money on the upgrade I'd rather get parts made in the US/UK/Germany/etc.

Registered
I did look at the R1 Concepts one, but I can't find information on where specifically they are made- the EBC stuff I know will most likely be made in the UK, or possibly the US. If I'm spending the money on the upgrade I'd rather get parts made in the US/UK/Germany/etc.
Have you tried emailing them or using thier live chat to get the information you are looking for? I got my response to my question in about 1hr.

Registered
All on there site:

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Machined in the US doesn't indicate where the steel is from- It's entirely possible they are starting with Chinese cast-iron blanks, which is what I'm trying to avoid if I'm spending the money. But I'll send an email to see what info I can get.

Registered
Machined in the US doesn't indicate where the steel is from- It's entirely possible they are starting with Chinese cast-iron blanks, which is what I'm trying to avoid if I'm spending the money. But I'll send an email to see what info I can get.
Sounds like over thinking to me 馃し鈥嶁檪锔. They have a been around with great reviews. They come with warranty if there is any problem with build quality non customer abuse or non wrongful installation. Full kit with a discount code was roughly 230$. Going with other name brands hoping to find they make for us u are looking about 300-400+ easy. The R1 rep is in Forte GT FB page and im glad they made a kit for us. Most companies wont.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not really overthinking- the quality of the iron used is the single most important factor in lifetime of rotors. I'm not saying they use bad steel, but there's a lot of crappy Chinese steel out there compared to what is left coming from the US/UK/Germany/Italy/etc. The point is I don't need to buy new brakes, I have 6k miles and I can keep the OE ones for probably at least 40-50k more miles. This is purely a luxury upgrade. We'll see what they say after I emailed them.

Registered
It's not really overthinking- the quality of the iron used is the single most important factor in lifetime of rotors. I'm not saying they use bad steel, but there's a lot of crappy Chinese steel out there compared to what is left coming from the US/UK/Germany/Italy/etc. The point is I don't need to buy new brakes, I have 6k miles and I can keep the OE ones for probably at least 40-50k more miles. This is purely a luxury upgrade. We'll see what they say
Reason I bought mine because I dont like how OEM feels at high speed braking/slowing down and quick braking if getting cut off ect.. traffic shit. If its just a luxury thing for ya I would say hold off on this put your money towards something else on the car. Again I had a reason to replace mine and the difference is noticeable. This sounds like the customers at my shop wanted to know if the tires they are buying are made in the U.S.A.. Yet ive seen made U.S.A fail more often than tires from other countries. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔. Good thing there is something called manufacture warranty.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reason I bought mine because I dont like how OEM feels at high speed braking/slowing down and quick braking if getting cut off ect.. traffic shit. If its just a luxury thing for ya I would say hold off on this put your money towards something else on the car. Again I had a reason to replace mine and the difference is noticeable.
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

Registered
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?
OEM felt weak/cheap slap on for this type of car and wasn't happy with stopping distance, ez heat up and shudder. I use the e brake on incline drive way i notice factory made noise after the e break was off till i got moving at good speed. Im used to upgraded brake kits on my vechicles. Since my car is not close to stock anymore upgraded to this kit makes sense with a noticeable solid difference. Rear break pad is the size of a hot wheels car. Lol. I can post a picture of the old pad later.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, considering the rotors are still practically new and changing them probably won't make much difference to braking performance for a while, maybe I'll just upgrade the pads all around instead, and worry about new rotors next time I need to do brakes comes around.

Registered
Well, considering the rotors are still practically new and changing them probably won't make much difference to braking performance for a while, maybe I'll just upgrade the pads all around instead, and worry about new rotors next time I need to do brakes comes around.
Rear caliper piston requires a special tool or you can use a pair of pliers if dont want to buy it.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are the aftermarket pads generally larger than the OE ones? Or is it just a function of the small rotor?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts