Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
The aftermarket pads are same size. On our car fronts are bigger than rear by a noticeable difference.
That's pretty typical on compact sedans. The Forte GT is pretty impressive for its price point, but it's still a compact economy car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's pretty typical on compact sedans. The Forte GT is pretty impressive for its price point, but it's still a compact economy car.
I work in a shop. Not typical on compact sedans. Most are very close on size. On my GT its night and day difference. Very rare do i see this difference and piston set up on the rears.

·
Registered
2012 Forte5 SX & 2018 Forte5 SX
5 Posts
Hey everyone- trying to think of some general bolt-ons for my 21, have a sxth hot pipe replacement on the way. Steering away from getting rid of the stock airbox/filter as I'd prefer to keep the better filtration of the paper style filters.

Question is, I was thinking about upgrading the front brakes to EBC. However I can only find full front/rear kits for the GT right now from EBC for over $400. I want to buy the discs and pads separately just for the front to decrease cost. It's a DD, I don't plan on tracking it so I'm mostly looking for the QoL upgrade with better front brakes from EBC. Problem is I cannot find the right discs, the Elantra Sport appears to use 11" front rotors instead of 12, so I'm having a hard time finding the right ones. Does anyone know what model pads/rotors I need for the fronts?

Thanks in advance.
You're wasting your time trying to buy brakes. Unless you are going bigger rotor, more pad and upgrading you calipers to a dual or quad piston. It's a waste of time. Kia's factory brake system will always operate as such unless heavily modified. You will see no difference in braking ability as Kia pads are already a high grade ceramic pad. I will take Kia pads over EBC, StopTech any day of the week. Also remember, if you have the 1.6T. Adding a decatted downpipe will void your warranty.

·
Registered
2012 Forte5 SX & 2018 Forte5 SX
5 Posts
Are the aftermarket pads generally larger than the OE ones? Or is it just a function of the small rotor?
Pads are bigger in front because 75% of the vehicles braking is done off the front pads. Rears rarely ever need replacing and don't get used much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's not really overthinking- the quality of the iron used is the single most important factor in lifetime of rotors. I'm not saying they use bad steel, but there's a lot of crappy Chinese steel out there compared to what is left coming from the US/UK/Germany/Italy/etc. The point is I don't need to buy new brakes, I have 6k miles and I can keep the OE ones for probably at least 40-50k more miles. This is purely a luxury upgrade. We'll see what they say after I emailed them.
It is overthinking, but in a different way. Most manufacturers in US/UK/Germany/Italy will use steel from Asia. Be that China, Korea, Taiwan. A good source will use good steel from there, so no problems to be expected.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looks like the GT doesn't use drum brakes for the emergency brakes! That will make it a little cheaper to replace the rotors!
No drum brakes for handbrake after 1st Generation Forte in any model.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT, 2013 Kia Soul Plus, 1992 Toyota Corolla, 1978 Chevy Corvette, 2013 Fiat 500
14 Posts
It is overthinking, but in a different way. Most manufacturers in US/UK/Germany/Italy will use steel from Asia. Be that China, Korea, Taiwan. A good source will use good steel from there, so no problems to be expected.
A little late to the party but thought I would chime in. Also remember the high strength steel used in your car comes from Korea, and the Forte is assembled in a factory in Mexico.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you haven't done your brakes you might want to check out my post.

This can be done on the 3rd Gen.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts