Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installing my stage 3 LED and switchbacks and when I started my car, I had my check engine light come on. I drove to autozone with no problems to get it diagnosed. The code that came back says my ECM isn't working properly. I'm taking my car to the dealership in the morning to get it checked out. Should I take all of my lights out? Autozone and Advanced Auto both said it's not necessary but would the Kia guys try to blame me for it? Any quick advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
well, i say to definitley take it to the dealer and have them look at it. as for whether or not to tell them you put the switchbacks in, thats up to you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went to check and the light isn't on anymore. The guy at autozone said if it's a false code or if everything is ok, the light will turn off on its own.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Lessons learned...always get the number of the trouble code. It most likely will be something like PXXXX (X's are numbers). That way you can go on-line and look up the code and find out if what else could be the problem.

Don't forget that you can also buy a code reader for under $100...then if you ever get a SES/CEL you can check it yourself. I keep one with me on trips for peace-of-mind.

BTW, did the person at Autozone do an "erase"? This would reset your ECU to the original baseline and clear the code. Then if you drive it and it comes on again you'd know it was a problem to have looked at.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lessons learned...always get the number of the trouble code. It most likely will be something like PXXXX (X's are numbers). That way you can go on-line and look up the code and find out if what else could be the problem.

Don't forget that you can also buy a code reader for under $100...then if you ever get a SES/CEL you can check it yourself. I keep one with me on trips for peace-of-mind.

BTW, did the person at Autozone do an "erase"? This would reset your ECU to the original baseline and clear the code. Then if you drive it and it comes on again you'd know it was a problem to have looked at.
No he didn't clear it but he did give me the codes. I asked him to just to see if it pops up again but said he's not supposed to which I knew. I'm thinking my ECU freaked out for a little bit. I'll keep an eye on it though

·
Registered
973 Posts
if you didn't unplug neg terminal of battery then that may have been an issue, even though these cars are supposed to adapt and relearn, which I'm assuming means basically on the fly.
Friend with a mazdaspeed protege was having some weird problems forums said move the maf, he did so and had a lean afr code, but it never came on again. The car was running crazy rich from factory (9:1) so we're thinking it was just a freak out because now it's running like 12's and it's used to 9:1. Car boosts perfectly now and everything. You're problem may be the same type of deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.