Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two oil changes ago (abt 6000miles) I noticed that the ECS off light came on once or twice but when I turned the car off and back on it went away. About an oil change ago (9000 miles) I asked a kia mechanic if he had any idea about this and he said it was probably because I was peeling out a couple of times or something like that. I thought it was odd cause I am not a foolish driver nor did I ever yet accidentally peel out. Before this last oil change I noticed the ECS OFF light is always on now no matter what.Yesterday I drove about 2 hour back home form an airport and parked the car and didn't drive the rest of the day. Now today all of a sudden my cars shifter gets stuck on reverse. Meaning while in park i have to force it into reverse and will in drive it goes to nuetral but once again has to get back through reverse with alot of force. I cannot take it to the dealer tomorrow or sunday I have to work. Is the shifter into place gonna do alot of damage? Also any ideas what would have caused this?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Automatic tranny I take it. Sounds like the cable or linkage slipped out of alignment. When you said while in drive it goes into neutral, is this while the car is moving it goes into neutral on its own?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you know.... no I guess they are not working I just checked. So does that mean you know what this could be?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I take it you did no mods to your shifter. So is your shifter like a loose, you know.. Does it shift very loosely, normally or does it take effort to shift?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Automatic tranny I take it. Sounds like the cable or linkage slipped out of alignment. When you said while in drive it goes into neutral, is this while the car is moving it goes into neutral on its own?
Yes auto transmission. What I mean is while stopped I can't shift from park to reverse unless by force or if I'm in drive and I completely stop the shifter moves to nuetral easy but once it hits reverse it gets stuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it you did no mods to your shifter. So is your shifter like a loose, you know.. Does it shift very loosely, normally or does it take effort to shift?
no mods and I wouldnt say it is loose normally it is pretty normal compared to other cars not too smooth but not too loose.. Now its just stuck.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If the brake light switch failed you will have to brake lights no cruise control and the car will not come out of park and have problems going in to gears and the tcs will shut off it is driven off the brake lights along with the abs systems

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the brake light switch failed you will have to brake lights no cruise control and the car will not come out of park and have problems going in to gears and the tcs will shut off it is driven off the brake lights along with the abs systems
So if I get what you are saying if my brakelight switch failed then I wont have brake lights cruise control or abs or tcs? Maybe its because I was in cruise almost the whole two hours.

Do you think it is safe to drive another couple of days until I can get it to a dealer? Unless kia has a shuttle service?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like this was a big problem in 2007 with the sportage and the recall they had for their stop switches. I have been looking into other forums including this one and many people have been having problems with this same issue. Maybe kia just didnt get it right and another recall is due.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
The only thing I could suggest would be unplugging the battery and plugging it back in. That would in a way reset the car's electronics. Since the shifter feels relatively normal I don't believe anything would be loose or out of place, but I can't be sure.

Lets say you unplug and replug your battery and the problem is solved. You may be better off leaving the issue unresolved and having Kia take care of it. I would rather you have a permanent fix as opposed to a temporary one. Then again if you really need your car you can try the battery trick and see if it works. It should not interfere with the warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts