Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia forte5 2012 ex an the ecu stop working so I bought a use one on eBay when I put it on the car the check engine light comes on but the scan tool not getting in the ecu to do its programming it's say vehicle not applicable any one have any idea to help please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take to a Kia/Hyundai dealership.

Also buying parts that sensitive & unknown is asking for more problems & trouble.

Your local Junk/salvage yard has the oem/factory right now & new to you parts.
I did buy the oem with same part# an my friend who was trying to program the ecu use to work at a Hyundai dealer for years an he never experience this he said.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It just stop working no check engine light cranks but no start.
It always amazes me how many people get symptoms like this and just decide the problem must be with the ECM, when there are SO many other, much more likely things that can cause a no-start.

My advice would be to reinstall the factory ECM and diagnose what the actual problem causing the no-start is.

I did buy the oem with same part# an my friend who was trying to program the ecu use to work at a Hyundai dealer for years an he never experience this he said.
Most likely your friend only ever programmed new ECMs, because a stealership would never even consider trying to use a second hand part. If he had tried to reprogram a used ECM he would have found out that used Hyundai/Kia ECMs cannot be reprogrammed, using the conventional KDS software. I'm sure there's probably a 'back door' way to do it, but that would only be possible for someone who knows where that door is located, and how to open it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Have you checked the usual parts?

Age & condition of battery, battery cables, corrosion?

Corrosion at the engine fuse box? Check the bottom for pulled harnesses, loose pins? Requires removing the fuses, relays battery cables.

Fuses & relays, check the mutifuse.

Age & condition of starter & it's cables?

The brake switch if it's an auto. The clutch switch if it's standard/manual.

Check the gear position & the shifter is at each gear & not wiggly loose.

Does your Forte have push start? Check that switch/module. I'm not familiar with push starts in Fortes. I do have
P L E N T Y of experience from my JGC limited. Not a fun time.

Does your Forte have e a transponder key? Check it's remote/fob battery. Open & Check for moisture, it's contacts. Clean off any dirt, that may be blocking the rubber contacts making connection to the circuit board. In my Jeep, sometimes the "Key not detected" will illuminate & chime when the key is in the pocket or battery is low/interference of push start module & key remote communications.

Fuel pressure?

Fuel injectors, fuel pump?

Age & condition of Spark plugs & the gap?

Age & condition of ignition coils? & their wire harnesses/pig tails?

Just typing the usual stuff & maybe it will help.

Let us know what the cause & fix was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts