Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually measured the temp of the ECU before and after a CAI? I drive to college everyday and it's about an hour drive from my house so it would have plenty time to get hot for sure. I can measure the temp with the stock system and with a CAI with the air box still attached. Unless someone wants to send me a bracket to relocate ECU and test it. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Such data would be very interesting, assuming you can measure a relevant ECU temp by placing a thermocouple inside.

There are some other variables to be careful of:
- ambient air temperature
- speed
- time spent in traffic (idling)

Would you keep an eye on the temperature "live" as you drive, or record data?

Could be very interesting indeed.... If you're serious about doing this, maybe try measuring temperature during more than one trip to get an average before installing the CAI.

Hope it works out!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My drive to college has a mixture of driving in it. I go around a few curvy mountains straights curvy back roads and some highway. I figured I would measure it three days with the CAI with the air box still on and then put the stock intake back on and measure it three days as well. I can drive around my town for a little while which has a 25 mph speed limit to get low speed temps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well did test 1 this morning on my drive to college the temp of the ECU after i parked at the college was 68 degrees ferinheight but it was only about 46 to 50 outside at the time. Ill measure again on my drive home to see if outside temp has a affect and this is with a CAI with the ECU still mounted to the air box

·
Registered
139 Posts
It would have been great to run these tests in Texas during the hottest part of the summer. See if the ECU ever really gets hot enough to need to worry even in 105 degree weather.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You would need to see around 170 Fahrenheit and up to worry about the ECU shutting down due to overheating. These processors should be a bit more robust than the regular home computer processors which can handle up around 185 Fahrenheit before shutdown. Video processors can even handle a bit more than that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In the south down here, I would think our ECU gets the hottest when the car is actually not running. Once you start moving and any air is moving around I bet the ECU actually cools off.

I am glad he is doing these tests though. I have thought about going with an SRI or CAI on the car but always wondered exactly how much it affected the ECU temp. Now we will get to see an actual comparison.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
agreed. it gets pretty dam hot. and i'm not even as far south as some of yall.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would need to see around 170 Fahrenheit and up to worry about the ECU shutting down due to overheating. These processors should be a bit more robust than the regular home computer processors which can handle up around 185 Fahrenheit before shutdown. Video processors can even handle a bit more than that.
I agree is going to take a lot of heat to make the ECU shut down, but this info is something most everyone was curious about so I figured I would do em anyway heck I drive that much a day anyway so its not that big of a deal. Also just got back from college its 80 degrees Fahrenheit here and the ecu was 91 degrees right after i shut the motor off.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This is just my 2 cents... The whole idea of people thinking that just because the ECU is attached to the air box is so that it can be cooled is overrated. I dont think that is the reason or even a concern. IMO Kia mounted the air box next to the ECU and decided to leave an opening inside to allow air to reach it. With the car at an idle and sitting at red lights, traffic jams, stop & go,etc... it gets no air flow anyway. By removing the air box and installing a CAI or SRI you open up all that space for the ECU to be exposed and air can circulate more around it.
Really...if the ECU is so delicate that it needs to stay cool...then why would they put it next to the extreme heat of the engine compartment?? They could have put it inside the car if that were the issue.
Again... this is just my opinion. I am not worried at all about the ECU getting to hot just because I installed a CAI!:D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
He brings up a point I've often thought the same about,
sometimes I even think maybe they did this just to scare us from modding the intake LOL

Still this test on temp Cukoup is doing could prove useful to atleast lay this worry to bed once in for all :)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
This is just my 2 cents... The whole idea of people thinking that just because the ECU is attached to the air box is so that it can be cooled is overrated. I dont think that is the reason or even a concern. IMO Kia mounted the air box next to the ECU and decided to leave an opening inside to allow air to reach it. With the car at an idle and sitting at red lights, traffic jams, stop & go,etc... it gets no air flow anyway. By removing the air box and installing a CAI or SRI you open up all that space for the ECU to be exposed and air can circulate more around it.
Really...if the ECU is so delicate that it needs to stay cool...then why would they put it next to the extreme heat of the engine compartment?? They could have put it inside the car if that were the issue.
Again... this is just my opinion. I am not worried at all about the ECU getting to hot just because I installed a CAI!:D
I think you'd be surprised at the amount of air movement inside the intake when the engine is at idle...

I also think this may be overrated because I've looked under the hood of several new Kia models -- all appear to have a similar ECU and none of them are in the intake system. The new Sportage's ECU is close to the brake master cylinder, for example.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well measured the temp on the way home again. It was 80 degrees Fahrenheit out on the way home and when I parked and measured the temp it was 96 degrees Fahrenheit.
It seems as though the driving I'm doing is getting hotter than 100 degrees with the CAI. I'm going to install the stock system back and measure it on the way home tomorrow and see the results.

·
Registered
318 Posts
well with the cai it seems to be 10-18 degrees hotter then outside temp?.. dosent seem to bad.. but the stock air intake would make a difference im sure. but why would kia make one car that has an ecu that needs to be cooled when every other car doesn't? i say they slapped it there because it fits and flows with everything right. its not really out of place with it on he airbox. i say screw it and run the cai if you want or run stock if you want.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
well with the cai it seems to be 10-18 degrees hotter then outside temp?.. dosent seem to bad.. but the stock air intake would make a difference im sure. but why would kia make one car that has an ecu that needs to be cooled when every other car doesn't? i say they slapped it there because it fits and flows with everything right. its not really out of place with it on he airbox. i say screw it and run the cai if you want or run stock if you want.
Maybe they set it up that way to reduce the performance of the Forte since their Hyundia brand is supposed to have the performance. The marginal heat from the ECU is going into the engine intake so we are heating up the air before actually using it with the factory setup. I'd prefer a setup that cools the ECU without reducing power.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
yeah cool or cold air = Hp.. so give me cold air please!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't imagine the ECU increasing the air temp enough to even make a measurable change to HP. Besides, it would be easier for them to just change the programming in the ECU to reduce our power if that is what they were wanting to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems the engines in the Sportage and the Forte are the same. I noticed the ECU is in a different location on the Sportage and am not positive but i dont think its cooled by the intake. If it is in fact not cooled by the intake, then maybe a comparison of the Kia part number for both ECU's should be done. If the ECU's are identical, then shouldnt there be no issue with the Forte's overheating without the cooling of the air intake?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I was joking there since I know the ECU doesn't create as much heat as some are thinking.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts