Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to replace my left top plate bearing. The dealer told my that every parts in the suspension that could be affect by Eibach springs are not covered under warranty.

Called 5 different dealers and they all told me the same story. I told them that I bought the coil spring kit for the SXR. I was told, the springs were remove from the SXR kit and were no longer available and not covered by the warranty. B.S.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, but the eibach springs are removed from the SXR kit (decision by KIA Canada way before May of this year). I actually believe that the springs were never publicly available from KIA Canada.

Unless you bought your car this way from the dealer then it would be considered MODs and could void warranty.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is there anything that one can do to prevent such an incident?
My Eibachs were only installed not 2 weeks ago....thus it is now a prevention issue for me.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
If they were pulled from the SXR kit, I wonder why and what they were replaced with. It almost sounds like there is an issue involving those springs in some way. Not trying to FUD but curious

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hopefully we will get KoupSXR to pipe in on this thread.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^They left them stock.

I believe Kia Canada pulled them as to not give the impression os street racing. Bodykit & lowered = Racer. They also pulled the vibrant strut bar from the kit. Therefore only performance parts are a K&N filter and muffler, now making the SXR a cosmetic package. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max was this due to pothole you hit ?
In a sence, I hope it was. Because I don't want to change those bearings every year due to cheap parts.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there anything that one can do to prevent such an incident?
My Eibachs were only installed not 2 weeks ago....thus it is now a prevention issue for me.

Thoughts?

Avoid potholes :D jk

·
Registered
644 Posts
How much did it cost to repair/replace? If you don't mind my asking, if it is something fairly pricey I'm not sure I want to be installing the springs now... ;/

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much did it cost to repair/replace? If you don't mind my asking, if it is something fairly pricey I'm not sure I want to be installing the springs now... ;/
The bearings are 67.17$cnd + tx (each). Nothing for labor since I did everything my self. I bet it's a 200$+ job at the dealership. :(

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened. Hopefully this isn't a common occurence. I think I've had my springs on for about four months now and haven't had any issues. And for that matter I've had my Koup for about ten months now and haven't had any issues at all. "Knock on wood."

If anyone's curious, I had my Toyo Proxes T1R tires rotated today after about 5000 miles and thought there was gonna be significant wear differences on the inside of the tire vs. the outside because of new springs. There was barely a difference. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened. Hopefully this isn't a common occurence. I think I've had my springs on for about four months now and haven't had any issues. And for that matter I've had my Koup for about ten months now and haven't had any issues at all. "Knock on wood."

If anyone's curious, I had my Toyo Proxes T1R tires rotated today after about 5000 miles and thought there was gonna be significant wear differences on the inside of the tire vs. the outside because of new springs. There was barely a difference. :)

That is good to hear :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
is because of the tires.... try proxes RA1's eve nstock they wear more in the middle true they are 1000mile tires and im around 6000 with very little wear.... BUT still wait a year and see what they look like

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
if your car was properly align,i don't think the eibach kit is the cause.
Shorter spring = less travel to absorb the pothole impact = more impact on the bearing

It's something all lowering mods have in common, you sacrifice looks and ride for durability.

The factory setup might have not survived it too but its a mod so KIA would jump at the no coverage.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I went over the pothole, I had the impression of going over the sidewalk. :eek:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but the comfort is almost the same and it's only an inch,don't forget those springs were designed for the koup.
Both Forte's have the same suspension and the weight is about the same...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts