Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, I dont know about you guys but I think it would be pretty cool to illuminate the engine bay with led strips when the hood is lifted, 1st off we would need a push switch to regulate the lights, (turn them off when the hood is closed and on when the hood is open) the led lights would be connected to the battery and would mount the leds with 3m tape on the sides or underneith. I was hand washing my engine bay yesterday and just thought it would be pretty cool to have some lights. :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah Ive always liked this look....also when theres tubes lit up as well. Easy way to do it is just wire them to a switch inside the car and just to turn it on when needed. Or to install somthing like fridges have where the door hits a button and the light turns off, and when u open it, it releases it to turn on...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea the fridge idea is what I was thinking so I dont have to run wires though the firewall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How would the LED hold up against the heat of the engine bay while driving ?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I've been pricing this exact thing. I'm afraid a push button switch just wouldn't last to the dropping of the hood. I'm thinking of putting a toggle switch in so I can easily turn it on or off when I need.

Diode Dynamics is about to release an exterior/waterproof LED that they think will be perfect for this application.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I dont think the Hood slaming on the switch would be good on the long run haha... Also im sure they can take the head of the engine, they would have to be waterproof tho. Either way its a nice project that I wanna do, I just dont see me having the hood open alot. Running a wire through the dash isnt as hard as it seams.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
The last meet I went to a guy had a Spectra with clear radiator hoses from Killer Glass with an LED inside to light them up and another LED towards the top of the engine bay. You can't see it in the picture but near the battery he had a switch with a carbon fiber cover over it to turn on and off the LED's. I saw it in the morning but I'm sure it looked way better at night.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Some kind of magnetic relay would probably work pretty good. Wouldn't require direct contact, just get it really close. Good idea matemorh! I'm going to price that.

I love the clear radiator tubes!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Hmm, I would be afraid of the motion of the car, constantly making them go off and on.
Also not sure how durable the glass/plastic is around them.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yeah, that's the one I've heard breaks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well running a wire through the firewall isnt hard at all, iv done it with my interior led to connect them to the battery, but since then i rewired them to the dimmer switch and works just as good... But back on topic.. Maybe we could mount a small switch inside the engine bay instead? so you could lift the hood and then press the switch with your finger, a rocker switch maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Hmm, I would be afraid of the motion of the car, constantly making them go off and on.
Also not sure how durable the glass/plastic is around them.
if mounted correctly the mercury could not get to the contacts by just spirited driving alone.....well unless you flipped over. These have been used as hood/trunk switches for years. And are used in aftermarket alarms as well

·
Registered
825 Posts
I love the idea. Seems there are several options. I for one would go with the manual switch. Good luck mod freaks. . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts