Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forte LX+
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual says 4L for oil change. I only put 3.5L and my dipstick is showing just above the half point mark. Last time I put 4L I remember having my dipstick above the full line, so this oil change I put less to not risk overfill. But shouldn't the 4L in the manual bring the oil level to the halfway mark? Then you have the +/- for fudge?

Anyone else experienced that putting the amount in the manual brings the oil level above the F mark?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Manual says 4L for oil change. I only put 3.5L and my dipstick is showing just above the half point mark. Last time I put 4L I remember having my dipstick above the full line, so this oil change I put less to not risk overfill. But shouldn't the 4L in the manual bring the oil level to the halfway mark? Then you have the +/- for fudge?

Anyone else experienced that putting the amount in the manual brings the oil level above the F mark?
Any car of any brand will state the theoretical dry quantity of oil in the user manual, and it is always calculated to the maximum mark. However, when you drain, about 0.4l stays in the engine, won't drain. If you overfill by e.g. 0.3l it won't matter. While the engine is running, or immediately after, you'll show max. or slightly below.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
812 Posts
What you are showing sounds about right. There is usually around a liter of fluid between the min and max marks on the dipstick, so you should be fine. I always fill mine with exactly 4L and haven't had any issues. It may have been lightly overfilled on one occasion (didn't look super close), but overfilled just a tad won't hurt anything, and it's way better than underfilled.

·
Registered
2015 Forte LX+
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you. Since the line is just over the half mark and I'm not burning oil, I'll just leave it as is. I should check oil levels every month anyway, so I'll continue to do that. Also being new oil it's a pain to figure out where exactly the level is, it's so transparent. I'll wait for it to burn in about 1 or 2 km

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
When new oil change, there's a slight line. Hard to see & make out the definitive full line.

The easiest way to help, is slide out dip stick. Wipe clean notice fill mark. Reinsert count 3 seconds & slowly while placing the other hand at the dip stick tube opening & as you get closer
S LO W L Y (like holding a cue/pool stick about to sink the 8 ball & carefully& just tap it in) & without jerking/making the end fling the oil off & keep the end (low & fill mark) end down.

Repeat process 2x to get a repeat verified level.

Sounds like a lot when typed out. That's what I do once a week or whenever I gas up.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts