Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it. What do you all use to clean your engine compartment?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I will usually squirt everything down with Simple Green or Engine Degreaser from Autozone. Then rinse away. Be careful not to soak the Air filter if it is exposed. If its stock have at it. I will then use a good tire shine...I know tire shine????? Yes tire shine!!!! It comes in a squirt bottle I think I use Eagle One...Eagle One Close the hood and wait about 20 min. Walah!!!!! No wiping ever. Well you can if you want. I don't and it gives it the wet look.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I will usually squirt everything down with Simple Green or Engine Degreaser from Autozone. Then rinse away. Be careful not to soak the Air filter if it is exposed. If its stock have at it. I will then use a good tire shine...I know tire shine????? Yes tire shine!!!! It comes in a squirt bottle I think I use Eagle One...Eagle One Close the hood and wait about 20 min. Walah!!!!! No wiping ever. Well you can if you want. I don't and it gives it the wet look.
This is definitely something I am interested in. I like to keep the engine as clean as my interior but other than the air filter aren't you supposed to cover electrical stuff?????

2,213 Posts
Armor all wipes work great. Plus I wouldnt take a hose underneath the hood. Might fry the ecu. Clean it once a month or every other time you wash your car you should be good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use Dr. Mechanico while cleaning the engine bay. Spray down any dirty areas and then wipe with a towel. It has Carnuba wax in it so it will give a nice shine to it.

A light wash with water will be fine and will not fry the ecu. However if you feel scared about electrical parts being damaged let everything air dry for about an hour. Also do not use a pressure hose for this will surely damaged electrical components.

I have done this to all my cars and have never had any problems with electrical issues. I also put a plastic bag over the alternator and air filter since I have a conical filter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use Dr. Mechanico while cleaning the engine bay. Spray down any dirty areas and then wipe with a towel. It has Carnuba wax in it so it will give a nice shine to it.

A light wash with water will be fine and will not fry the ecu. However if you feel scared about electrical parts being damaged let everything air dry for about an hour. Also do not use a pressure hose for this will surely damaged electrical components.

I have done this to all my cars and have never had any problems with electrical issues. I also put a plastic bag over the alternator and air filter since I have a conical filter.
A light wash with water but not using a pressure hose???? Are you using something else to get the degreaser off if you can't use your outside hose? Spray bottle perhaps???

·
Registered
16 Posts
@ecko,

A garden hose is perfectly fine. What I referring to is a pressure washer you see at those do-it-yourself car washes. Just be sure to cover up fuse box, alternator, and air filter if exposed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pressure washer..Okay. Gotcha....

But another thing I was told was that you had to keep the car running when using a hose to spray everything down...If that's the case can you still cover the alternator? If you used a plastic bag or something like that would it be safe???

·
Registered
127 Posts

This is exactly what I use... After letting it dry up, I put some WD40 in all electrical components to remove moisture. Then I leave it for a while before starting it up again. I never had any electrical problems with my other cars. Make sure to not hose electrical components. They can get wet but you do not want to hose them directly.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So basically, don't soak your engine compartment, spot clean the areas that need it, and perhaps lightly rinse the other areas just to get the dirt/grime off. Use Armor All wipes to give it a shine or something else along those lines. Pretty much cover it?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I've always used Simple Clean. Let it sit for 2-5 min. and use the garden hose to rinse.
I then use compressed air to blow off access water from all the cavities and wires, etc...
Once that step is done, I use a soft cloth and wipe the rest including around the edges and rad support and lower shock towers. I often use some white grease around moving parts and that's it!
It typically comes out looking as if it came out of the factory which is my goal.
Years ago, I used some shiney stuff but I always found that it attracts too much dust.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Paint brush. No water or solvents at all. Using water just quickens the rusting process. A dry paint brush gets rid of dirt and grime. What would you rather have looking nice, the metal bits or the plastic covers?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thats a different approach schmitty...Something worth looking at....I like everything to look nice...I hate dirt and grease...It's a losing battle ultimately I think....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts