Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forte ex 4 speed auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my 2010 EX developed an engine knock when only partially on throttle, my guess is its around 5% to 10% throttle input, but it went away after Friday. Yesterday while driving, it got louder and louder with my cruise control on to where I was questioning if the engine would go kaboom, and now this morning its knocking at idle. I know the thetas have always been a problem with fortes, especially when you consider that the original engine was swapped with a 2.0 from a 2013 with 145k miles currently. I will admit, it goes to red line 2 or 3 times a week, but its just 20-60 pulls. What do y'all think? Is it a rod with play at the crank, or is it less severe to where i can drive it carefully without having to worry?

If needed I can get a video to show yall what it sounds like

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
705 Posts
Last week, my 2010 EX developed an engine knock when only partially on throttle, my guess is its around 5% to 10% throttle input, but it went away after Friday. Yesterday while driving, it got louder and louder with my cruise control on to where I was questioning if the engine would go kaboom, and now this morning its knocking at idle. I know the thetas have always been a problem with fortes, especially when you consider that the original engine was swapped with a 2.0 from a 2013 with 145k miles currently. I will admit, it goes to red line 2 or 3 times a week, but its just 20-60 pulls. What do y'all think? Is it a rod with play at the crank, or is it less severe to where i can drive it carefully without having to worry?

If needed I can get a video to show yall what it sounds like
I’d get a video up. It could be a couple different things

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts
Can't diagnose over a computer without touching or listening to your engine!

If you know how to do it...disconnect one Coil at a time and run the engine...if it is a rod knocking you'll know it right away when the coil is not working - the sound will become louder and "double-knock" will occur too.

Red lining a 145K mile engine is the fastest way to wipe out bearings...LOL!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds more serious than bad gas, but I would fill up at another station, anyway. Also, how is the air filter? Fuel filter? A couple of cans of Chevron Techron wouldn't hurt.

Might want to consider pulling a spark plug to check for condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts