Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Forte owners hearing a clacking or light knocking noise from engine at warm idle? In my case, it's intermittant...sometimes totally silent, other times clack-clack...only at warm idle.

Sounds exactly like a sticky hydraulic lifter, but these cars dont have hydraulic lifters...or do they?

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if the lifter are solid or hydraulic, but either way it sounds like you should have them adusted or at least looked at.

If they're hydraulic, then one may be running dry and may not have oil getting to it--possibly a clogged oil galley to the lifter.

If they're solid, mechanical lifters, then they have to be adjusted periodically as part of routine maintenence. I highly doubt that they use this design, as I do not recall in the maintenence manual any mention of valve adjustments.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if the lifter are solid or hydraulic, but either way it sounds like you should have them adusted or at least looked at.

If they're hydraulic, then one may be running dry and may not have oil getting to it--possibly a clogged oil galley to the lifter.

If they're solid, mechanical lifters, then they have to be adjusted periodically as part of routine maintenence. I highly doubt that they use this design, as I do not recall in the maintenence manual any mention of valve adjustments.

Let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the input, Ferdy.

Even on a brand new car I was thinking it could be one or more valves out of adjustment. But it's intermittant, not there some of the time, there other times...always at warm idle only. That pretty much rules out valve clearance adjustment. Sticky lifter would be my best guess, but I don't believe these engines have hydraulic lifters, from what I've read.

It's an irregular light knocking sound...clack, clack-clack.

Anybody else experiencing this kind of engine noise on a new Forte?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have noticed this on my SX Koupe, but it comes and goes. I just had my first oil change the other day, so I will have to see if the sound is still there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the input, Ferdy.

Even on a brand new car I was thinking it could be one or more valves out of adjustment. But it's intermittant, not there some of the time, there other times...always at warm idle only. That pretty much rules out valve clearance adjustment. Sticky lifter would be my best guess, but I don't believe these engines have hydraulic lifters, from what I've read.

It's an irregular light knocking sound...clack, clack-clack.

Anybody else experiencing this kind of engine noise on a new Forte?

Same here--but it is VERY light---sounds like the tappets to me---I think this is normal and not to worry---

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed this on my SX Koupe, but it comes and goes. I just had my first oil change the other day, so I will have to see if the sound is still there.
"Comes and goes", that's what mine does. There some times, not there other times. I can drive it and hear it when I pull into the garage while idling. Then I'll drive it again and absolutely quiet the next time. Often the same day. It's only at idle. And I wouldn't describe it as clatter, but more of a light knocking sound. Clatter I expect with solid lifters, but not the knocking.

It's strange that it's intermittent. Sometimes it's totally silent, the knocking not there at all. I'm beginning to wonder if it's external to the engine, maybe an accessory pulley or a smog device.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear the same niose, I just thought maybe it was loud fuel injectors. It's more like a loud clicking that I hear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
to make a comparison to the sound, to me it sounds like an older diesel engine sound but quieter

if that makes any sense

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to make a comparison to the sound, to me it sounds like an older diesel engine sound but quieter

if that makes any sense
I'm getting that too, the diesel noise, usually when it's coming off a cold start. Sounds like valve clatter. The occasional knocking noise is different, like a knock, knock-knock. And it's only at warm idle, not while driving, not above 1000 rpm. It's not there most of the time now, was there all the time when new.

·
Registered
746 Posts
not for the knocking. some clicking at idle & startup is normal. its electronic traction control. if that wasn't stated already.

MLA in response to questions if they are hydraulic. they are not they are mechanical.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hear the same niose, I just thought maybe it was loud fuel injectors. It's more like a loud clicking that I hear.
i have experienced that with low quality gas,more nervous but less mileage and noisy.good maybe a thread about the gas quality?Me,i'm running on Shell gas,less nervous but better mileage and cleaner engine,checked on my old winstar,no maintenance needed on engine,run like new at 180k,every 4 months checked at Ford(where they don't let you go without spending some money on OEM pieces)sparks realy clean at 175k,originals,no need to change,so...:) any other opinions?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm getting that too, the diesel noise, usually when it's coming off a cold start. Sounds like valve clatter. The occasional knocking noise is different, like a knock, knock-knock. And it's only at warm idle, not while driving, not above 1000 rpm. It's not there most of the time now, was there all the time when new.
I'm sure will go away after 10k or second oil change:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's just how it sounds. There's nothing wrong with it.

Mine has been making the light clattering noise since I bought it brand new. It's at 67k miles now and there have been no problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You know, I just traded in my civic for my sx sedan. My civic did it and so does this car. I've heard every civic make that sound though. I'm beginning to wonder if its just a 4 cylinder thing, lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine only ticks at cold idle before its all the way warmed up. Bearly noticible at warm idle got 2010 koup sx 6speed manual

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts