Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My KIA Details:

Cerato EX 1.6 L GAMMA DOHC (Middle East)
Sedan
Automatic Transmission
290,000 KM Approx.

I'm facing a strange issue here, when I'm switching off the ignition switch and even remove the key completely the whole car dashboard and electrical system shutdown including engine cooling fan but engine keeps running in stalling sound (Running slowly like less than idle speed with small shakes) the engine never stops even after removing the fuel pump fuse and injectors fuse it keeps run forever. The only way to make the engine stop is to try to crank the engine again while it's in running condition by entering the car key into the ignition switch and turn it very fast to ignition position and turn it back again.

For your information I have tried the below attempts after switching off the car by turn off the ignition switch and remove the car key:

1- Remove ignition switch fuse from fuse panel under dashboard [Engine still running].
2- Remove only the fuel pump fuse from the fuse box under the hood [Engine still running].
3- Remove only the injectors fuse from the fuse box under the hood [Engine still running].
4- Remove both fuel pump and injectors fuses at the same time [Engine still running].

I've noticed also the below:

1- This issue happens only when I drive the car for long distance trips for 1 hour or more.
2- Since this issue start sometimes when I drive for long distance and stop at a red traffic signal (Complete stop) and trying to move on again, the car is not speeding for a few seconds (engine is not accelerating) then it moves again smoothly.
3- Sometimes again when I stop at a red traffic signal (Complete stop) the car and engine switch off completely by itself. And when I try to re-ignite, the starter motor crancking but engine not starting until I push the acceleration pedal many times.

I've visited the local dealer service center twice but once I reach there every time the car working very fine with no issue. I will try to visit again the dealer after a long trip and hope that I can show them the issue at the real time.

Update: I have never installed any aftermarket parts or any aftermarket electric/electronic parts.

Anyone have an idea please share it with me, it would help also as I don't trust the local dealer service center very well as I've faced some issues in the past and they didn't give me any proper solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
After long trips, try pulling the fuel pump fuse BEFORE you turn off the engine. Just keep it running for a few seconds until the pressure drops way down and it runs out of fuel and quits. If the engine shuts down completely every time you try this, that would tend to confirm that one or more injectors are leaking.

But if starving the engine doesn't stop the after-running, then it would seem that there is some type of deposits forming, which are also providing extra fuel to create the symptoms you're seeing. That would be fairly easy to confirm simply by doing a few 'Italian tune-ups'. After an hour of one of your long trips, just put the pedal to the floor and keep it there for as long as you can maintain a safe highway speed. Try to look in the rear-view mirror and watch to see if anything significant comes out of the tailpipe. If you see a big cloud of dark smoke back there, that would indicate you're on the right track to getting this resolved. Italian tune-ups BTW are not a bad thing in any case, and you can feel free to add them in as regular 'maintenance'.

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
From all what I read here I would suspect engine oil getting past rings/valves and your petrol engine is acting as diesel....
Thin oil, hot engine, spark is off - just like diesel.

That would also explain why the engine is stalling after coming to stop. When slowing down, the engine braking what means it has injectors off, but still pulls vacuum - oil gets in there and when finally injectors kick in to keep idle, there is too much fuel - oil and petrol - to keep it running. Then, you can tap on gas a bit to clear the oil and it should be smooth again.

To confirm - press the gas pedal and look for a smoke cloud behind.

Eventually, but I do not believe that is actually even possible, you may have injectors still active. But the problem with this I see is that petrol will not ignite so easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After long trips, try pulling the fuel pump fuse BEFORE you turn off the engine. Just keep it running for a few seconds until the pressure drops way down and it runs out of fuel and quits. If the engine shuts down completely every time you try this, that would tend to confirm that one or more injectors are leaking.

But if starving the engine doesn't stop the after-running, then it would seem that there is some type of deposits forming, which are also providing extra fuel to create the symptoms you're seeing. That would be fairly easy to confirm simply by doing a few 'Italian tune-ups'. After an hour of one of your long trips, just put the pedal to the floor and keep it there for as long as you can maintain a safe highway speed. Try to look in the rear-view mirror and watch to see if anything significant comes out of the tailpipe. If you see a big cloud of dark smoke back there, that would indicate you're on the right track to getting this resolved. Italian tune-ups BTW are not a bad thing in any case, and you can feel free to add them in as regular 'maintenance'.
From all what I read here I would suspect engine oil getting past rings/valves and your petrol engine is acting as diesel....
Thin oil, hot engine, spark is off - just like diesel.

That would also explain why the engine is stalling after coming to stop. When slowing down, the engine braking what means it has injectors off, but still pulls vacuum - oil gets in there and when finally injectors kick in to keep idle, there is too much fuel - oil and petrol - to keep it running. Then, you can tap on gas a bit to clear the oil and it should be smooth again.

To confirm - press the gas pedal and look for a smoke cloud behind.

Eventually, but I do not believe that is actually even possible, you may have injectors still active. But the problem with this I see is that petrol will not ignite so easily.
Dear Kiaguy007 and PLP,

Thank you both for the effort to help.

I was out of station for a while, but once i reach back i have tried both suggested above (Italian tune up and pulling the fuel pump fuse) and here what I've observed:

1- After pulling the fuel pump fuse without turn off the ignition key, there are nothing happened at all, engine still running without stop. I've waited for more than 3 minutes with no luck. Engine keeps running forever. [Here i decided that may be the injectors is leaking, but i have waited for more than 3 minutes so how???]

2- I have tried italian tune up for many times, i kept the RPM up to 6000 for 2-3 minutes, but also no any different observed. And no any black smoke comes from the exhaust outlet.

Here i have decided to do one last try by removing the ignition coil fuse from the fuse box at engine hood "AND FINALLY" engine become dead immediately.

I have tried this way by removing the ignition coil fuse at two conditions; the first after switch off the ignition key and remove the car key completely from the switch and while engine keep continues to run. And the the second before switch off the ignition key.

At all condition the engine stop immediately.

So here is my questions;
If removing of ignition coil fuse is the only solution to force the engine to stop while the ignition switch is already turned off and the car key removed completely, so how it come ?? And from where the signal comes to the ignition coil ?? Does this signal comes directly from the ECM or from the ignition key switch ??

If the signal comes from the ignition key switch ?? Does thia mean that ignition switch is faulty ??

I hope to get any help from you guys and sorry for the late response.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
... After pulling the fuel pump fuse without turn off the ignition key, there are nothing happened at all, engine still running without stop. I've waited for more than 3 minutes with no luck. Engine keeps running forever. ....
It sounds like you have the GDI version of the Gamma, and that you're pulling the low pressure (in-tank) fuel pump fuse. If that's the case, it's likely that the high pressure fuel pump is pumping enough at idle to keep the engine running. Check to see if you can find a high pressure fuel pump fuse and pull that one also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ignition Coil Fuse

It sounds like you have the GDI version of the Gamma, and that you're pulling the low pressure (in-tank) fuel pump fuse. If that's the case, it's likely that the high pressure fuel pump is pumping enough at idle to keep the engine running. Check to see if you can find a high pressure fuel pump fuse and pull that one also.
Thanks, a lot kiaguy007 for your follow up.

Suppose that engine is GDI version, so why the engine is getting stopped only after removing the ignition coil fuse?

As per my knowledge, the ignition coil fuse once removed it cut the circuit for the ignition coil of spark plugs. That means the ignition coil circuit remain connected even after switch-off of the ignition switch and remove the car key completely.

That doesn't mean there is no issue in the injectors which I think also that one or more is leaking as the removing of injectors fuse doesn't stop the engine operation as I explained before. I will try what you have suggested above about the high-pressure fuse and update you soon.

Meanwhile, I will arrange pictures for the fuse box description and upload it in the next post so if you can help me to identify the proper fuse of the high-pressure pump.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
.... Suppose that engine is GDI version ....
I wrote previously that it sounds like your vehicle might be GDI, but that needs to be confirmed before spending time looking for a second fuel pump fuse (and wasting a lot of time if it's not a GDI). It should be fairly easy to find out if you have a GDI, from markings on the engine or body, and/or documentation from your owner's manual.

I can't explain why the engine finally stopped running when you pulled the ignition fuse, because that fuse shouldn't make any difference to a dieseling effect. Perhaps removing that fuse was merely coincidence, but that too is just a guess. And this being a vehicle from outside North America, I don't have a source for the wiring diagram, so unfortunately I won't be able to help you with any specific electrical questions, or even the fuse box layout.

Please keep in mind that you're describing VERY unusual symptoms. So I've just been fishing for things that COULD possibly fit with what's happening with your vehicle, and then suggesting some testing that might confirm or reject those ideas. My focus has been to identify the source of fuel the engine is running on after the ignition is shut off. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like dieseling, which is why I'm suggesting trying to find out if petrol is somehow getting into the cylinders after shut-off. The fact that you saw no smoke when you ran the engine hard would tend to make it less likely that the source of fuel is deposits or oil blow-by, but nothing can be eliminated until the actual reason is found.

So try to determine if this engine is GDI, before looking for a second fuel pump fuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts