Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay anyone out there with a 2.4l auto , when at full throttle you hear some thing that sound like a spark knock. I noticed it today only with the window's down and the radio off. Called the dealer and they do not know anything about this, checked for codes with handheld scanner none at this time, anyone can you help me with this??????

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Considering the engine has a knock sensor, if you are hearing "pinging" under acceleration you should ask the dealer to check it.

From Kiatechinfo:

Knocking is a phenomenon characterized by undesirable vibration and noise and can cause engine damage. Knock Sensor (KS) is installed on the cylinder block and senses engine knocking.
When knocking occurs, the vibration from the cylinder block is applied as pressure to the piezoelectric element. When a knock occurs, the sensor produces voltage signal. The ECM retards the ignition timing when knocking occurs. If the knocking disappears after retarding the ignition timing, the ECM will advance the ignition timing. This sequential control can improve engine power, torque and fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well I'd try going to another dealer to have them check it again just to be sure..
I've never tried to just full throttle at lower speeds but at 120 I heard only wind noise no funny sounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you try a different grade of gas? I have not tried 87 octane in mine (89 is cheaper/same price depending on station due to ethanol) but it seems to like 89 imho. Just worth a try.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
steve has a good idea there!

·
Registered
973 Posts
87 from a top tier retailer should run the best, the engines are tuned to run 87 and a higher octane WILL hurt performance, no matter what you butt dyno tells you lol
Kia/Hyundai either retarded ignition timing or built the head to be VERY strong to run 87 with such high compression, and seeing as the forte makes higher power than anyone else in the same class, I'm thinking retarded timing definitely isn't the case=]
run the gas your engine is supposed to run, from a top tier retailer (Shell, Texaco, etc, not small local brands) and you shouldn't have any problems at all with gas. the pinging is more than likely something else. Possibly rattling heatshield or something of the like? when my exhaust was rattling a bit it sounded like a very high pitched pinging...
could be anything almost, there are several problems that can sound the same. Take it to the dealer and have them listen to it for some piece of mind, if anything is wrong with knock sensor and your experiencing knock without the sensor retarding timing, then it'll be covered under warranty anyways lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input it only will make the nosie under full throttle acceration in any gear, did check for codes today there is a tps code and
and knock sensor code but no check engine light was on called the dealer ship today have apt for next tuesday but they sounded mad that i checked for codes and told the what the codes were, i think that they thought that i was another over informed customer , looking at the net all day!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks for all the input it only will make the nosie under full throttle acceration in any gear, did check for codes today there is a tps code and
and knock sensor code but no check engine light was on called the dealer ship today have apt for next tuesday but they sounded mad that i checked for codes and told the what the codes were, i think that they thought that i was another over informed customer , looking at the net all day!!!

LOL they do seem to hate that kind of thing dont they!
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spark Knock

2.0L auto 2010 sedan

I've been experiencing "pinging" for a couple of weeks now. Sounds like an engine with the timing way off. Happens at low/medium and high rpm; every time the engine is under any kind of load.

Took it in to the dealer: "this is a known issue with the Forte. I wouldn't worry about it, it won't do any damage"

Needless to say, I am a little....no, very skeptical about that diagnosis. Sent an email to corp HQ here in Canada about this, no reply yet.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.