Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im jeremy. I am a Moderator on srtforums.com.
I am thinking about buying a kia forte SX. I understand it uses the 2.4 world engine. Can you use the intake manifold or exhaust from the caliber srt4 or the Hyundai Gen's? I saw that the 2.4 intake was plastic and couldn't handle to much boost.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Hey Jeremy,
That's right, it uses the world engine and I've heard that it's possible to swap a complete SRT turbo kit onto this engine, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes Mitsu, Hyundai, Chrysler are part of the World Engine. (Aug 2009 Chrysler announced they are ditching the World Engine Program).They share the same block design, But, each then took it and tweaked it to their own needs. It has been shown on gen forums that their are more differences than similarities between Mitsu & theta. Unless you have Deep pockets. Which then led to so rumblings that maybe the srt may have similarities. I know some optima folks were wondering if a srt-4 head would bolt on the their theta. A big difference (pending where you stand):) Is the gen coupe turbo exhaust manifold and turbo itself are NOT one unit like on the SRT-4.

Heres some info gathered on the srt (dojaman can add/delete etc).

The SRT-4 used an identical block as the naturally aspirated Chrysler 2.4L block used in the PT Cruiser and mid-size cars such as the four-door Stratus. Both naturally aspirated and turbo engines (PT Cruiser GT Turbo and SRT-4) used the same cylinder head with the exception of the Iconel exhaust valves. The PT Cruiser Turbo engine package differs from the SRT-4 because the intake manifold, turbocharger plumbing and intercooler are different. The SRT-4 intercooler was a front-mounted cast aluminum 8-row unit produced by Valeo. The turbocharger was a reverse rotation Mitsubishi TD04LR-16Gk with a 6 cm2 (0.93 sq in) turbine inlet. Tight packaging forced some creative thinking on the turbocharger. The TD04 compressor has a compressor bypass valve built right into the compressor housing. The exhaust manifold and turbine housing were cast in one piece by Mitsubishi from high-nickel Ni-Resist steel. The one-piece design improved flow, reduced size and reduced thermal mass for quicker cat light-off. The turbine discharge is also part of the manifold/turbine housing casting, and it loops back around and hits the manifold again on its way to the catalytic converter. Where they meet, there's a wastegate valve. Keeping the wastegate valve away from the turbine housing improves flow where it matters most. Problem is, flow where it matters secondmost, in the discharge pipe, looks like it will be fairly upset about all this wastegate flow jumping into the party. One of these days, we may try an external wastegate that flows back into the exhaust further downstream. Such a modification would require some fairly substantial fabrication on the manifold. A few more interesting things about the turbo: Packaging constraints dictated a reverse-rotation turbo that spins counter-clockwise, unlike most turbos (but like the EVO VIII's). The Mitsubishi TD04 compressor has a compressor bypass valve built right into the compressor housing. The silver can on top is the diaphragm that opens the valve to vent boost from the volute (the outside of the snail) back to the compressor inlet. Both the wastegate and bypass valve get their boost signals via ECU-controlled solenoids.All together, the turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04LR-16Gk with a 6cm2 turbine inlet. This will only mean something to you if you're familiar with Mitsubishi turbos, and even then maybe it won't. Mitsubishi wouldn't cough up the compressor maps for this turbo, but we did learn that peak compressor efficiency is a very healthy 77 percent.

Maximum boost in stock form was around 14 psi (97 kPa). Piston velocities and valve-train components force a rev limit of 6240 rpm although MOPAR upped the ante with their Stage 2 and 3 kits which have a rev limit of 6500 rpm.[citation needed]
The 2004 model was updated with more power and torque, a torque-sensing Quaifelimited-slip differential, larger fuel injectors.

Something kool I read bout the srt-4 connecting rods:
The connecting rods are forged in one solid piece, machined, and then broken in half. That's right, the rod-bearing cap is created by simply snapping off the bottom half of the rod bearing. These "cracked" rods fit together perfectly, thanks to the jagged interface, ensuring a perfectly round rod bearing when the rod is assembled. This cracking technique is common on flimsy powdered-metal rods, but relatively rare on forged parts. Or how about the SRT-4 32 tooth Crank Trigger Wheel.

:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
***UPDATED***
read this at genesisforums.com

"Elite Autosports in Minnesota is wrapping up their Evo 8/9 swap kit for our cars (referring to gen coupe). Looks like it comes with the manifold, downpipe, oil/water lines, some heat shielding.

Aslo, apparently another co. out of N.Carolina is building one out of evo8 turbo.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Mitsu, Hyundai, Chrysler are part of the World Engine. (Aug 2009 Chrysler announced they are ditching the World Engine Program).They share the same block design, But, each then took it and tweaked it to their own needs. It has been shown on gen forums that their are more differences than similarities between Mitsu & theta. Unless you have Deep pockets. Which then led to so rumblings that maybe the srt may have similarities. I know some optima folks were wondering if a srt-4 head would bolt on the their theta. A big difference (pending where you stand):) Is the gen coupe turbo exhaust manifold and turbo itself are NOT one unit like on the SRT-4.

Heres some info gathered on the srt (dojaman can add/delete etc).

The SRT-4 used an identical block as the naturally aspirated (not really)Chrysler 2.4L block used in the PT Cruiser and mid-size cars such as the four-door Stratus. Both naturally aspirated and turbo engines (PT Cruiser GT Turbo and SRT-4) used the same cylinder head with the exception of the Iconel exhaust valves. The PT Cruiser Turbo engine package differs from the SRT-4 because the intake manifold, turbocharger plumbing and intercooler are different. The SRT-4 intercooler was a front-mounted cast aluminum 8-row unit produced by Valeo. The turbocharger was a reverse rotation Mitsubishi TD04LR-16Gk with a 6 cm2 (0.93 sq in) turbine inlet. Tight packaging forced some creative thinking on the turbocharger. The TD04 compressor has a compressor bypass valve built right into the compressor housing. The exhaust manifold and turbine housing were cast in one piece by Mitsubishi from high-nickel Ni-Resist steel. The one-piece design improved flow, reduced size and reduced thermal mass for quicker cat light-off. The turbine discharge is also part of the manifold/turbine housing casting, and it loops back around and hits the manifold again on its way to the catalytic converter. Where they meet, there's a wastegate valve. Keeping the wastegate valve away from the turbine housing improves flow where it matters most. Problem is, flow where it matters secondmost, in the discharge pipe, looks like it will be fairly upset about all this wastegate flow jumping into the party. One of these days, we may try an external wastegate that flows back into the exhaust further downstream. Such a modification would require some fairly substantial fabrication on the manifold. A few more interesting things about the turbo: Packaging constraints dictated a reverse-rotation turbo that spins counter-clockwise, unlike most turbos (but like the EVO VIII's). The Mitsubishi TD04 compressor has a compressor bypass valve built right into the compressor housing. The silver can on top is the diaphragm that opens the valve to vent boost from the volute (the outside of the snail) back to the compressor inlet. Both the wastegate and bypass valve get their boost signals via ECU-controlled solenoids.All together, the turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04LR-16Gk with a 6cm2 turbine inlet. This will only mean something to you if you're familiar with Mitsubishi turbos, and even then maybe it won't. Mitsubishi wouldn't cough up the compressor maps for this turbo, but we did learn that peak compressor efficiency is a very healthy 77 percent.

Maximum boost in stock form was around 14 psi (97 kPa). Piston velocities and valve-train components force a rev limit of 6240 rpm although MOPAR upped the ante with their Stage 2 and 3 kits which have a rev limit of 6500 rpm.[citation needed]
The 2004 model was updated with more power and torque, a torque-sensing Quaifelimited-slip differential, larger fuel injectors.

Something kool I read bout the srt-4 connecting rods:
The connecting rods are forged in one solid piece, machined, and then broken in half. That's right, the rod-bearing cap is created by simply snapping off the bottom half of the rod bearing. These "cracked" rods fit together perfectly, thanks to the jagged interface, ensuring a perfectly round rod bearing when the rod is assembled. This cracking technique is common on flimsy powdered-metal rods, but relatively rare on forged parts. Or how about the SRT-4 32 tooth Crank Trigger Wheel.

:D

God.. so many links, let me post and then edit.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aug 2009 Chrysler announced they are ditching the World Engine Program.
If you check, hyndai and mitsu ditched making engines and left it to MOPAR.
Not that it matters. The head and the intercooler are the same with the PT GT and the Nsrt4. The csrt4 has a reworked tdl05 or big wheeled tdlo4. I don't remember which.The stage 3 kit is an tld05. tdlo4 is good for 18psi on stock map and tip sensor and 28 on stage 2/3. Srt4 internals are not FORGED, but shot peened and treated. All this.. and i still don't know if it will fit. :) My stage 3 runs 27-30 psi and runs pretty good. But the csrt4 is a whole new can of beans. Once i get my hands on a motor, tranny and turbo, and ecu, (shortly) then i will know. People wreck these things like you wouldn't believe.
You can turbo a turd if you watch KR and AF. If you don't believe me, race my neon.......lol.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chrysler-ditching-global-engine-manufacturing-alliance/

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
More info on this ???
***UPDATED***
read this at genesisforums.com

"Elite Autosports in Minnesota is wrapping up their Evo 8/9 swap kit for our cars (referring to gen coupe). Looks like it comes with the manifold, downpipe, oil/water lines, some heat shielding.

Aslo, apparently another co. out of N.Carolina is building one out of evo8 turbo.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So the upgrade kits are internally gated..... The parts look ALOT like the neon 2.0, n/c srt4 2.4 parts.
The turbo is DEF a mitsu, as is all the oem turbo kits for 2.0/2.4.
I have no validity, unless i buy these parts or someone confirms the block will bolt to your head. The manifold is not my concern, but the internals. The csrt4 block is good for 500 hp. Talk about surprise a z06....
I can't wait until someone needs a HG change, or i can get the service man....
I think the crank sensor, intake mani, and cam sensor are the same on the 2.4 forte's as the c/n srt.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Ok i got 2gs on this shit lets do this lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts