Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something new to learn:

I became aware of a loud engine rattle under the hood and was a little worried after reading a post about damaged high pressure fuel pump parts - but I found out the rattle is part of the emissions system and is only audible for short periods when the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) is operating. The PCSV is what purges the emissions canister located near the fuel tank.

If you hear a rattle and are concerned, put your finger on the PCSV and if it is what is making your rattle then don't worry about it, it is working properly!

NOTE: On the 1.6T engine, with the engine cover on, you can just see the PCSV under the driver's side of the engine cover - you do not have to remove the engine cover to feel it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get your hands on a pcv and shake it... you can't make that much noise with it. And over time the noise gets even quieter due to oil and sludge build up. Our 2.0 and GDI 1.6 non- turbo have pcv.

In this video the PCV has a rubber hose around it, now the only reason I can see for that is that it makes even less noise lol
I use carb cleaner on them all the time to clean them out.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get your hands on a pcv and shake it... you can't make that much noise with it. And over time the noise gets even quieter due to oil and sludge build up. Our 2.0 and GDI 1.6 non- turbo have pcv.

In this video the PCV has a rubber hose around it, now the only reason I can see for that is that it makes even less noise lol
I use carb cleaner on them all the time to clean them out.
Not the PCV - the PCSV, an electric solenoid,. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok I found that..it's not quite in the same spot. The 2.0 is closer to the exhaust manifold. But it pretty silent on mine. Started it and and let the engine warm up and no sound at all. Had wife rev the engine and still nothing from it. But it's an electric valve about all you will hear is a small click when it opens and closes.And I really should stop making myself look like an idiot when I'm high as a kite on pain pills because of surgery lol

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I found that..it's not quite in the same spot. The 2.0 is closer to the exhaust manifold. But it pretty silent on mine. Started it and and let the engine warm up and no sound at all. Had wife rev the engine and still nothing from it. But it's an electric valve about all you will hear is a small click when it opens and closes.And I really should stop making myself look like an idiot when I'm high as a kite on pain pills because of surgery lol
LOL!

My PCSV doesn't make noise all the time. I don't know what parameters need to be met when it makes the rattling noise - I haven't found anything in the manual that describes it other then it turns on to purge the emissions canister of fuel fumes. When it does go "off" it is very audible - which is why I thought maybe my GDI high pressure fuel pump was the culprit. Easy to get all worried when you hear it for the first time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
LOL!

My PCSV doesn't make noise all the time. I don't know what parameters need to be met when it makes the rattling noise - I haven't found anything in the manual that describes it other then it turns on to purge the emissions canister of fuel fumes. When it does go "off" it is very audible - which is why I thought maybe my GDI high pressure fuel pump was the culprit. Easy to get all worried when you hear it for the first time.
Oh I know what the PCSV is.. Here I am looking for the PCSV in my car but when I read it and said only turbo has it I was thinking Blow off valve. My high ass read blow off valve Wife laughing at what I wrote while she helping me out at the car🤣

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I was doing my best to find that on my 2.0 and not having much luck! LOL
Did you see TC0566's post: "Ok I found that..it's not quite in the same spot. The 2.0 is closer to the exhaust manifold."

Reactions: tc0566

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did you see TC0566's post: "Ok I found that..it's not quite in the same spot. The 2.0 is closer to the exhaust manifold."
No, I completely blew past that post, man. Thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate it. I'll look later today and see if I can find mine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts