Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few people on this forum are skeptical of the wide-spread problems in Kia engines so I thought I'd post my experience

I joined the Canadian Quebec facebook group "PROBLÈME MOTEUR KIA FORTE - ENGINE PROBLEM 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015" Facebook Groups
I do not speak French, I used Facebook's "translate" feature to communicate

My 2010 Kia Forte EX (approx 137,000km) had developed an "engine knock" sound over the years, especially noticeable when the engine was cold
I took it in to the Kia dealership, asked them to inspect it. Despite the car being out of warranty they said that Kia Corporate was going to cover the cost of replacing it with a brand new engine (not a refurb).

Dropped it off on Monday, picked it up on Thursday. The difference in how the engine sounds is noticeable (much quieter now than before)

I wish Kia was more upfront about this defect and just do a broad recall already. This is a good article that covers all the engine recalls they have done already, but to this date my Kia is not covered by the any of the current recalls: Hyundai, Kia fined for delaying US engine failure recalls

Note that there are a looooooot of people in that Quebec group that have posted about their engine replacements (I'd say over 100+)
It's a much more common problem than Kia admits publicly, yet they keep replacing engines for those people that speak up

Not sure how I feel about purchasing another Kia in the future (mixed emotions)

From my invoice:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
Personally, I respect Kia. I have a '17 (however wasn't effected by that issue), and trust it completely. I guess what makes me feel good about them is even though there is no recall, they have a no-drama process of getting people engines replaced...rare for a dealership, regardless of warranty status...I bet you if it was a manufacturer but Kia that has this issue, they'd argue all day long with customers, instead of "just doing it"...to my knowledge, most people have had a very smooth experience getting their engines replaced. Another thing is they've released why it has been happening, during the manufacturing process, metal shavings were left in the crankcase and they would restrict oil flow to the bearings in the bottom end...so they know why it was happening and fixed it.

Also doing such a thing for free after warranty would make me a fan for life lol.

The only thing i dont like about my Forte is that it's not comfortable on long trips because of the seat design, Im most likey going to trade it in on a more ergonomic "interiored" car when i get it paid off. Hopefully another Kia if i find one with seats i like. (I dont like how the headrest is jutted forward)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what makes me feel good about them is even though there is no recall, they have a no-drama process of getting people engines replaced
Ummm the problem has been in the engines for over a decade and there is STILL NO OFFICIAL RECALL for some of the engines (like mine)!
Kia has been extremely difficult about replacing engines, just read the backstory: Hyundai, Kia fined for delaying US engine failure recalls

They only started replacing them after people started dying, hardly what I would call a "no-drama process": https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-car-recall-investigation-1.5918348?

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
658 Posts
CBC Marketplace investigation on Kia/Hyundai engines:
Yeah, been told that my 2010 isn't in any recalls, even though it has the Theta engine. I check the NHTSA & type in my vin# so many times that it pops up with precise speed.

I've even made an account to Kia motors a few month back, have gotten nothing, no recalls.

Not even an email & or letter that states.

dear customer,

We've have in our records you currently are driving or own a 2010 kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L manual transmission car.

Please at you earliest convenience please take your vehicle into one of your local Kia & Hyundai dealerships for a free complimentary full check & diagnostics evaluation on the health of your Kia/Hyundai vehicle.

If any should arise (before & after recalls) we will gladly repair such parts free of charge in hopes to avoid further serious damages.

Thank you for your patience & time,

Kia/Hyundai Corporation.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
658 Posts
I'd be happy if Kia/Hyundai Corporation sent me a letter stating to take my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 car to any Kia/Hyundai dealerships to have it just automatically fixed & repaired with new parts. New recall aka "product Improvement Campaigns." parts (before being released to public or snitched on & internal eyes only emails & after the "ok yes repair these recalls) & my engine parts with NEW engine parts when taken out & torn down. NEW crank case, pistons (rings, connecting rods, wrist pins, bearings, sleeves, bolts) & oil pump, smooth/hone the cylinder walls & new seals lifters, etc.

I Don't want a new (to me engine) from a junk/salvage yard that might have recalls & or worse problems weeks/months later go back & have Kia/Hyundai "product Improvement Campaigns." still not working or this is going on only to tell me "we can't reproduce, we looked at it" bs. unless it's absolutely a brand new engine.

Physically woked/checked & verified looked at it or looked at it as in glanced at it cause it was in the of my field of view?

As for yesterday (2-19-21) cold temps again. The ticking & squeaking sounds are there. The squeaking is low & audible when the hood is up & one is standing in front of the car.

The ticking is still loud & can be heard in the cabin/car. I don't like that sh*t & it's not funny anymore. I've never had that ticking that loud & able to clearly hear it from sitting inside, radio turned off, HVAC off windows up & windows down.

2-20-21 today's temps were nice enough that I was able to actually be outside for about an hr of checking on my Kia & it's fluids.

Engine fluid condition, color ✅
Transmission fluid ✅
Power steering fluid ✅
Power brake fluid ✅
Radiator coolant/Antifreeze ✅
Tires air pressure ✅
Windshield washer fluid (thawed 100%) & working ✅
HVAC temps, controls knobs✅

Basically it's good so far.

What I effing hate is the constant seatbelt mil/icon flashing every few seconds whenever my Forte is in motion in any gear. It stops when I'm parked, idling & in neutral E brake on. The second I shift into 1st & all gears it goes off the entire time.

The louder than normal ticking that I can hear sitting inside the car is pissing me off & has me effing worried. Praying to the car gods my Forte doesn't get the ticking grenade engine of death syndrome.

I need & want my car to last into the 300,000 & 400,000 or + miles. Especially the way I take car of it.

Of course I do my own fluid changes. Especially engine oil. I want to use full synthetic 5W30. Mike Shaw Kia charges me extra for that. Nah, eff 5W20, that's some water down thin ass engine oil given the damaging friction, revolutions, pressure, heat, torque, forces required from an engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts