Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Kia Forte Koup EX with 83,000 miles. The car has a 'ticking' noise in the engine and when taken on the highway it will lose power, the engine light will come on, then it will gain power again. It is almost as if it doesn't get any gas for a second. Also, when idling the car will drop below 800rpm to ~300rpm and sometimes will just die overall.

I don't believe I have a warranty with the car as I bought it in 2014 used. I've already taken it to a few shops and they recommended to replace the engine based on the noise alone.

Does anyone have experience with these issues?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate to follow with a "me too", but my '12 just started with the solid ticking that goes away slightly under power and is incredibly loud when slowing or at idle. 120,000 miles and sounds like it's ready to cash out.

FWIW: This progressed from "do I hear a ticking noise?" one day to absolutley no doubt the next.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have you tried to locate exactly where the noise is coming from? If not, then use a mechanic's stethoscope or piece of wood to try finding the source that way. And, if you're up for a bit more work, take the serpentine belt off and listen to the engine running for a few seconds without the belt. Doing that will positively identify the noise as either engine (if the noise is still there), or belt loop (if the noise goes away).

·
Registered
570 Posts
There is a natural tick with our engines so it may be normal for that part of your problem. As far as the engine losing power and dropping below 800rpm that could be a few different things, but the first thing that needs to happen is to have someone read any codes on it or have a mechanic in the car with you while you drive or even just video tape the issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine has always had a slight ticking and I'm certain mine is not a belt related issue. It's just gotten much louder and surprisingly quickly. This morning the ticking was more of a knock when the engine was cold (under 30 degrees F.).
When time and weather permit, I'll open the hood and see if the area of the source can be identified.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And this morning I was driving a diesel. The valves clatter much more than they ever did and the knocking seems to be center engine when listening from the top side.
Front, back, left side or right side it seems to sound the same....
...so maybe it's in the bottom and resonating up.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
And this morning I was driving a diesel. The valves clatter much more than they ever did and the knocking seems to be center engine when listening from the top side.
Front, back, left side or right side it seems to sound the same....
...so maybe it's in the bottom and resonating up.
I recommend that you have the noise diagnosed ASAP. Replacement Theta MPI engines in decent condition are very scarce and hard to find. So IMO you want to retain the option of rebuilding your factory engine, which will no longer be possible if it seizes. And if the issue is a very loose chain, then it willl probably jump time in fairly short order, trashing the valves in the process. A timing chain job would be quite a bit less $$ (or time if you DIY), than adding in a valve job. It sounds like failure (of one type or another) is right around the corner, so I suggest you take action quickly, while you still can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like failure (of one type or another) is right around the corner, so I suggest you take action quickly, while you still can.
Currently parked until I find out what the dealer is going to do or provide. What I find troubling is that the same engine in an Optima, Sportage, or Sorrento have been addressed and the Forte seems to be excluded.

From WiKi:
" Kia told NHTSA about a recall of more than 618,000 model year 2011-2014 Kia Optima, 2012-2014 Sorento and 2011-2013 Sportage vehicles because the Theta engine bearings wore out too early and caused the engines to seize. Kia said it didn't recall the vehicles in 2015 when Hyundai first recalled its cars because the Theta II engines in the Kia vehicles were built on a different production line and had different problems than Hyundai. In addition to customers complaining about the Theta II engines, a Korean whistleblower who worked for Hyundai as an engineer let NHTSA know what he knew."

Someone at Kia needs to explain why mine is suffering the same death as the other engines...yet is not covered.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Currently parked until I find out what the dealer is going to do or provide. ....
They will provide a new engine - in exchange for $7K of your money. And you're likely to wait at least a few months for it to arrive on the slow boat from Korea.

.... Someone at Kia needs to explain why mine is suffering the same death as the other engines...yet is not covered.
All they will tell you is that there is currently no recall on the Theta MPI engines. The book may not be closed on that, and there COULD be additional recalls and extended warranties in the future. If a recall ever did happen for the MPI, then it would retroactively cover repair bills related to engine failures. However, that does not help you a bit with your current situation, and there's nothing in the wind to indicate it ever will happen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From The local dealer -
"Unfortunately, the Forte's are not under the engine recall. If you could drop your vehicle off on Monday, we could have a technician look at it. There would be a diagnostic fee $109 an hour, because unfortunately your vehicle falls out of warranty. If you do not feel comfortable driving it I would recommend calling a towing company to get your vehicle here."

...and so it begins.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
They want to resist adding the Forte to the recall list due to high vehicle sales. More Fortes were sold than any other in their line.

I would like to open encourage everyone with engine problems to go to the NHTSA site and file a complaint. If enough of us have the same issue.......

You can either go to the NHTSA site and use the "Report a Problem" button or use this link:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia Forte Koup EX with 83,000 miles. The car has a 'ticking' noise in the engine and when taken on the highway it will lose power, the engine light will come on, then it will gain power again. It is almost as if it doesn't get any gas for a second. Also, when idling the car will drop below 800rpm to ~300rpm and sometimes will just die overall.

I don't believe I have a warranty with the car as I bought it in 2014 used. I've already taken it to a few shops and they recommended to replace the engine based on the noise alone.

Does anyone have experience with these issues?
I have the same issue and have had it since I purchased it in 2012. I was in and out of Kia's service center and they couldnt answer it but could hear it. I just yesterday received a call telling me I would need a new engine.
I spoke to the brother of the man that use to own several kia dealerships within our state and he told me, Kia needs to admit they made a crappy engine and do the recall. In the meantime I will never purchase another Kia nor will I pay for a used engine that will have the same issues because it is a defect within the engine itself. How dumb could I be or look?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2014v kia forte. It needs a new engine. Does anybody know how can I buy an engine one for than? I've seen many ads on Ebay, do you guys recommend to buy from Ebay?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts