Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm just looking for some insight. I started the car this afternoon and before putting it into Drive I heard the engine revving so I looked at the gauge and saw that it climbed up to about 1500rpm. After I put it into Drive it calmed down and it seems fine.

Is this something I should be worried about? Normally when I start the engine the revs come right down to almost nothing - this time they climbed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You should worry if it doesn't do it. It's programmed to do that for emissions reasons. The colder the ambient temperature, the longer the high idle will last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is that the temperature is warm out - not cold. This is something that has not happened before. The engine was getting louder after I started the car almost as if I had my foot on the accelerator (which I didn't).

·
Registered
109 Posts
CorsaKoup is right... it must be cold out side... it revs at 1500rpm to warm up the oil. you shouldn't drive it till it calms down to about 1000rpm. usually takes about 2 -3 min.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If its not cold... then it needs to warm the oil up and engine itself... how long was it since you last drove it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Toronto, and it's finally nice out (17 Celsius). I drove the car this morning when it was 4 degrees Celsius and there was no issue - the car started and there was no revving to warm the engine. At lunch I started the car again and this is when the engine revved to about 1500. It's strange because it's warmer than in the morning. I understand what you guys are saying about cold whether revving because I had this in the dead of winter when it was -15 or -20 outside... but now it is +17 and sunny.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So you're saying that when you started it in the morning, it went straight to 900 rpms with no high idle at all? I'd worry about THAT, because 1500 is normal on most startups unless it's REALLY hot outside and the car was driven recently.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm from toronto too... and every morning my car revs to about 1500rpm and stays that way for about 1 -2 min then settles down to about 900... this is very normal...all vehicles do this. not to mention my car is in a garage over night too... that is kept at about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your car is fine. You suffer from the same thing I did when I got the car. I was constantly checking out every noise coming from the car, stepping into/out of the car oh so carefully and just overall being anal about everything. This is normal :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
900 hmm I believe mine is idling around 650 when driven a little and warmed up which sounds cool because it has a small gutteral noise at that rpm and tapping the accelerator a little gives an exhaust growl.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mfury... that sound about right... on a warmer day (+0 celcius) and you've been driving for a bit it should be sitting around 650 - 800

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
since when is 0C warm? lol im from texas and thats freezing! :) :) in the mornings its maybe in the 60's and my car does the same. sometimes it doesnt but ive came to realize its normal

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
900 hmm I believe mine is idling around 650 when driven a little and warmed up which sounds cool because it has a small gutteral noise at that rpm and tapping the accelerator a little gives an exhaust growl.
Idle on AT are set higher than MT. 900ish is normale for an auto trans as 700ish is for manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts