Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed for the last month or so, when I accelerate in any of the above mentioned gears, my engine sounds "loud" and not normal. I've owned my SX 6 speed for over a year now and know it well. I took it to my dealer and had one of the mechanics do a drive along with me. It took awhile, but finally he heard it too. He seemed a bit confused on what it could be. I have it scheduled to go in to the shop so a senior mechanic could check it out. Anyone else had anything like this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of sound is it? Could just be an exhaust leak.
It's hard to describe, just loud and it "clatters". If it was an exhaust leak wouldn't it sound loud all the time? It just seems when I put a "load" on by accelerating in the higher gears that I hear it. It's hard to describe. When you know your car. you tend to hear things that are abnormal, I can't describe it any better, sorry. I guess I'll find out after tomorrow when I take it in.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
It's hard to describe, just loud and it "clatters". If it was an exhaust leak wouldn't it sound loud all the time? It just seems when I put a "load" on by accelerating in the higher gears that I hear it. It's hard to describe. When you know your car. you tend to hear things that are abnormal, I can't describe it any better, sorry. I guess I'll find out after tomorrow when I take it in.
I'd like to know what you find out. I have a similar thing happening on my 2010 Forte SX - 5-Speed auto. And there's only 2600 miles on it. It's mostly if I drive in areas where there's a lot of inclines (like in downtown Seattle itself).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not necessarily. A pinhole exhaust leak is an odd thing. I had one in an old car and only heard it at higher RPMs under load. It was a sort of ticking sound. Eventually the hole got a lot bigger and could be heard at all RPMs and idle but that was after I let it go for a while. Either way, it's just a guess since I haven't heard it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I understand what u talking about,

is that after a long road trip ? because my car did something like that after 2hours on highway running not too smooth but just correct and right after entering in the city the car ''feel louder''

mabye its just the cat that getting very hot inside making this weird sound but the car run perfecly exept that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I understand what u talking about,

is that after a long road trip ? because my car did something like that after 2hours on highway running not too smooth but just correct and right after entering in the city the car ''feel louder''

mabye its just the cat that getting very hot inside making this weird sound but the car run perfecly exept that
No, it's all the time. On my way to work in the morning I have a longish hill and I hear it then. The car is warmed up because I've gone about 6km by then. Even on the flat, say if I'm doing 80 km /hr and I put my foot into it, I can hear it too. It's running smoothly, no problems there, but definitely noisy. After a year of driving I'm finding this nerve wracking as I love my car and know all it's sounds. I hope it's nothing too serious.

·
Registered
166 Posts
im weird ! I know my company dodge caravan 2010 have this problem some times but I dont really car of it lol you should check with the dealer about that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread. I took my car to my Kia dealer and the head mechanic went for a ride along. He agreed he could hear something, but couldn't pin point what it was. I was supposed to bring it back on the next dry day for them to drive around, but come on, this is Vancouver, we don't get any dry days till August (jk). The real reason (other than wet roads) is I went on holidays (by air) and sorta' left it. Then low and behold, after taking off my snow tires on steel rims, the sound went away???? Looks like the solid steel rims must have reverberated the engine sound and made it sound so loud. I am going in for an oil change in the next month or so and will talk to them about it....strange or what?

·
Registered
265 Posts
i'm thinking now this is a speed issue not an engine issue. Snow tires = NOISY... especially if you are higher speeds. There's a reason tire reviews have noise level specs. Some people don't care, some people want as quiet a tire as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread. I took my car to my Kia dealer and the head mechanic went for a ride along. He agreed he could hear something, but couldn't pin point what it was. I was supposed to bring it back on the next dry day for them to drive around, but come on, this is Vancouver, we don't get any dry days till August (jk). The real reason (other than wet roads) is I went on holidays (by air) and sorta' left it. Then low and behold, after taking off my snow tires on steel rims, the sound went away???? Looks like the solid steel rims must have reverberated the engine sound and made it sound so loud. I am going in for an oil change in the next month or so and will talk to them about it....strange or what?
It's also possible your tires are unbalanced. It can very easily happen on snow tires. Snow builds up in the rims and starts makes the wheel unbalanced. It bounces up and down a bit more after 3 months of this your wheel will stay unbalanced even after it melts.

Also these warm temps probably means your snows are overfilled on air and thus are making extra road noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts